jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

HubPages... Looks like the beginning of the end.

1. drspaniel profile image89
    drspanielposted 5 years ago

HubPages... Looks like the beginning of the end.

I in no way want to come across as if to be "Mr. Doom and Gloom", but it is evident that HubPages and almost all other writing sites for that matter are going through some pretty rough times. I have noticed that since late September to early October, views and earnings have both been cut in half, and I can only see this as being the beginning of the worst to come...

In regards to publishing high quality content, I do believe that Google is making their search engine as well targetted to HQ content as possible, but in the process ranking sites such as HubPages down. Hubpages' final days?

2. cfin profile image82
    cfinposted 5 years ago

I have noticed a HUGE drop in traffic across the board. This suddenly happened in late September. Google analytic states that on September 21st, I actually had 0 views followed. Down from a few hundred the day before.  It has not recovered well since.

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Still down!

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

The only way to combat Panda and Penguin updates is to write more original,useful content (with reasonable SEO) and not look for cheap back links. HubPages does have rather too much low quality material around which I'm afraid tends to undermine those who produce quality writing on useful topics.
    You could say Google are using bullying tactics and hurting the innocent - I've read some heart breaking stories of long term websites going under, smaller businesses sinkng without trace - perhaps they've gone too far this time but the signs were posted weeks ago so we ought to be realistic, knuckle down and try to improve quality, encourage the better writers and support each other any way we can.

1. Mazzy Bolero profile image79
      Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We hear this all the time, but the results of searches on Google I have carried out since the change have certainly not produced better quality results.

2. fiftyish profile image60
      fiftyishposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm still flabbergasted how the world allowed Google to own the world wide web. Okay, so they don't really own it, but they might as well do. 

I mean, anyone with a website is at the mercy of one company. I know there are other search engines out t

4. Sapper profile image70
    Sapperposted 5 years ago

Google doesn't just target sites like HubPages, changes they make effect all sites. Between my hubs and all my blogs, my traffic is higher than it was before the update, and more importantly, my search traffic is much higher. The problem with this last update was first, it targeted exact match keywords. It's Google's way of kind of trying to force LSI keywords on us. Second, it affected about 2.4% of the search results, which for Google is a whole lot. It's not so much you need to write higher quality content, it's the approach that needs to be slightly modified. But either way, good, high quality content will always rise back up, no matter how far or how many times it gets knock down the rankings.