Is everything you post to hubpages automatically copyrighted?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Silver Q profile image89
    Silver Qposted 10 years ago

Is everything you post to hubpages automatically copyrighted?

Or does something else have to be done to get my hubs copyrighted?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

You have to do it yourself. There are two ways to do it:
    1) When you write, or edit, your Hub you look at the right side of the page and scroll down to 'Display Options' and click on that. You will see 'Copyright with a box that says - no notice -'. Click on the arrow in the gray box and then click on your name, it will now appear in the box.  This will appear as a copyright notice on your Hub.
    2) When you finish writing a new Hub open a text capsule at the bottom and type the following - "Author: (your user name linked to profile) type a 'dash' [copyright symbol from top line in text box] type current year" and hit save. {ex: Author:The Examiner-1 - @2013}

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

oh I didnt know this myself, have to check it out thanks

2. loveofnight profile image75
      loveofnightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

this is the method that i most often use.

3. Felisa Daskeo profile image80
      Felisa Daskeoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you The Examiner-1.  I just discovered how to get my copyright for my hubs.  I wouldn't have known.

3. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 10 years ago

Great question, I am glad you asked has I did not know this answer myself
    thanks

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

If you're referring to having the copyright notice posted, the answer is no. You have to click on the box when your working on a hub in edit mode. If you're referring to whether or not your work is protected by copyright laws whether or not a notice appears on the page, the answer is yes. As soon as you publish a hub and as long as it's your original work, it falls under the protection of copyright laws.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it is automatic than why are other Hubbers always complaining that work has been taken?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is the right answer. Once anything is published, print or media, it is legally under copyright. However, Examiner, it can still be stolen-- just like anything else you own. You may legally own your car, but someone can still steal it.

3. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As Rochelle said, just because something is protected under the law doesn't mean people won't break the law and steal something. They can do that even with the copyright statement in place.

5. profile image63
    in4mativeposted 10 years ago

Your hub is copyrighted when it published, as your username - which is linked to your real name - is stated on the hub as the author. You can also place an explicit copyright notice on your hub.

6. jellygator profile image89
    jellygatorposted 10 years ago

While it's possible to take extra steps to prove your copyright, your material is protected automatically. However, you have to be very careful when promoting your articles. If you post a link to Digg, for example, you may not realize that in their terms of service you've agreed to surrender your copyright and dedicate the material to the public domain.

1. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would sure like a citation to this notion of automatic copyright. Intentionally publishing something for the world to see for free. And there is an automatic copyright on that?

2. jellygator profile image89
      jellygatorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Eric. The copyright laws are clear about it and there are MANY sources of information, at least in the U.S., which is where HubPages is located. Here's a .pdf containing the laws: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/circ92.pdf

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89

Here is an article that makes it pretty clear:
      http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/j … pyrigh.htm

4. Ericdierker profile image44

That is only an opinion piece. Not citations within it.

5. jellygator profile image89
      jellygatorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Eric, I posted a response that included a link to the U.S. Copyright office. It says my comment is awaiting moderation. Section 17 of the United States Code and the Copyright office publishes information about the various other laws, too.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image89

The citations in the article are: Library of Congress United States Copyright Office web site at: http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/  Or visit the World Intellectual Property Organization web site at: http://www.wipo.org/eng/index.htm

7. Ericdierker profile image44

I will just leave it alone. Those are not citations. Where is it written --- a vague reference to an organization is not helpful. In fact it indicates a lack thereof that the author does not do a minimal quote.

8. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Here is the information Ericdierker should read:
      http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

7. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

i didn't know that there is an option box. Thanks

8. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 10 years ago

After you write a hub or while your working on it scroll down and on the right you will see display options. It's in here there for you.

Correct, but everyone says that it happens automatically and this is just  a label to show it.

2. Ericdierker profile image44

It is false that it happens auto. Not one person can show a law that backs that claim. It is all hearsay upon hearsay without direct citation to a law. Hate me if you will but there is no auto copyright. End of story. Somebody show me a law.

9. Nadine May profile image72
    Nadine Mayposted 10 years ago

Yes if your name is signed under an article it is copyrighted, but that does not mean that others can't copy it. I learned through this question  that you can do more than just sign your name in Hubs, but that still does not guaranty total exclusivity. Is there such a thing? I do not think so. We all tap into the Matrix, knowingly or unknowingly.  We often get this question from new authors. Our reply is: Yes the author always holds the copyright to their book, the publisher only holds the PRINT rights during a set period.

10. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

According to U.S. copyright law, anything you write is automatically copyrighted whether it has been published or not.  So, if you have written a manuscript and it's just stuffed in a drawer, it is still copyrighted.  Proving it is yours, however, would be difficult.

Publishing your work – either in print or online – with a valid copyright notice, tells others that you own the work. Book publishers and websites will go ahead and file for copyright registration. For your Hubs, this is not necessary unless/until you are going to sue someone for copyright infringement.  To register a copyright, go here:
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-register.html

Although HubPages has recently added a way for you to display a copyright notice, I don't recommend that you use it.  Notice how significantly different it is from the one the HP website uses at the bottom of every page.

Here is the notice I put on my Hubs:
    Copyright © 2011 - 2013 Writer Fox™. All Rights Reserved.

The first date is the one of original creation (not necessarily the date it was published on HubPages) and the second date is the current year.  This will be changed on January 1, 2014.

You can upload your individual copyright notice in a text capsule, but you will get one of those pesky little Style Tip No-No warnings.  That is no big deal, does not enter into the QAP evaluation and will not prevent your Hub from being published.  To avoid the Style Tip problem, you can create an image for your copyright notice and insert it in a photo capsule.

11. profile image0
    Corolla98posted 10 years ago

I think all the articles are copyright.  I used to have an older hubpage account with some articles on it. I tried to redo them all with this account because I had login issues with my old account. Hubpages would not let me redo them because they were published with my old account.

That may simply be the difference between the two accounts. Try starting fresh in the recent acct. posting them under new titles. See if that works and then copy-paste the text.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)