jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Do you find successful hubbers to be snobby?

1. davidlivermore profile image98
    davidlivermoreposted 5 years ago

Do you find successful hubbers to be snobby?

I don't talk to many hubbers, except in answering questions or on the apprenticeship forum.  But have you found successful hubbers to be snobs?  In posts I have read, some of acted like they are above other hubbers, and even above Hubpages itself.

I'm not calling out anyone in this post, it's just what I have seen.  When I check out profiles for those answering questions, I find the successful hubbers are the ones who say things that rub me the wrong way.

2. daveyboy1957 profile image61
    daveyboy1957posted 5 years ago

sometimes I think the printed "word" is interpreted as being contrite or snobish when possibly the writer is merely being concise (or short to the point). This I believe is related to Twitter where you are limited to being short on answers because of their charector limit.  Long winded answers are now becoming extinct.  That combined with the human fact we all think we know more than a thousand others who write on the same topic.  LOL

davidlivermoreposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, but the words they use have given me that indication as well.

3. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

I haven't found successful hubbers at HubPages to be snobby.  Successful hubbers seem to either be willing to sincerely help less experienced Hubbers and point them in the right direction or stay pretty much invisible beyond their Hubbing activities.  They just write, maintain, and collect their money.  How do you define successful? 

I'd put it this way.  I started on HubPages nearly two years ago as a newbie, like everyone else who is just starting out, and never came across someone who thought a question was too stupid to ask or that sort of attitude.  Sometimes Hubbers just pointed me eleswhere on HubPages for my answer rather than answering it directly.  I imagine those who thought my questions weren't worth answering, didn't bother to answer, so I didn't catch any bad vibes from them.  I'm sure others have had different experiences, but snobby Hubbers aren't going to keep many followers.

Successful by either making a lot of money (and advertising that fact) or having a lot of hits.  Sure, you could call it jealousy, but I am mostly on Hubpages to work on my writing and to help others.

4. SoundNFury profile image82
    SoundNFuryposted 5 years ago

I definitely think there is an arrogance to a LOT of individuals in the HP community.  As in, there are some here who seem to believe that, because they are veterans or have achieved a certain status on Hubpages, that everyone else had better show them some respect or else! 

And I think a big reason for such arrogance is a deep-seated insecurity within that person. 

But on the flip side, I also have become connected with many terrific and humble writers. who simply want to express and share their voice.

This is exactly what I wanted to express.  Thank you for the comment, this makes complete sense.

5. plogan721 profile image83
    plogan721posted 5 years ago

I really do not.  The hub might come off as somewhere "I know the answer, it's the only answer and everyone else is wrong."  I never got the impression of any hubber being snobbish.  If they are, I usually ignore them.

Sometimes it's har to ignore words on a screen!

2. plogan721 profile image83
      plogan721posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Davidlivermore, what I meant was a read a few words, and if a person sound conceded, I back out.  to me that is ignoring them.  I do not read the rest.   You're right, it is hard to ignore words on a screen

working