jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Is there anything like hub ethics on hub pages?

1. bizna profile image77
    biznaposted 5 years ago

Is there anything like hub ethics on hub pages?

I got confused when I commented on a hub and the author disliked my comment. Instead of just refusing to approve it, it was approved but his reply had some bitter words directed to me. In my opinion, he misunderstood my comment since I did not mean to hurt him anyway. I thought he should not have approved the comment in the first place. I was very sorry and even got scared of commenting on his hubs anymore.

2. MartieCoetser profile image90
    MartieCoetserposted 5 years ago

Bizna, apart from the rules set by HubPages, we do have gentleman's agreements. I think the most important is our agreement to respect each other, even when we don't agree. I am giving you a link to a hub of mine, linked to similar hubs, that may answer some of your questions.

By the way, you don't use an avatar, so most of us will regard you as an unwelcome intruder. In HubPages we are open and honest while sharing our knowledge and wisdom. If you don't have the guts to use an avatar, either of your face or of something you stand for, you will be ignored and/or treated with disrespect. Just think about it: How will YOU treat a ghost in your house?

http://martiecoetser.hubpages.com/hub/H … ed-Hubbers

1. bizna profile image77
      biznaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the good advice and i will soon upload my photo. I am quite encouraged.

2. mattforte profile image90
      mattforteposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is no such "gentlemen's agreement" and I've never heard of somebody being seen as an "intruder". What a joke.

3. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

There are the HubPages rules, which aren't necessarily ethics, but are rules that they put in place for various reasons, from keeping search engines happy to keeping things civil.  As far as personal ethics, that's up to each Hubber, but those who are nasty in their responses to comments are going to lose followers and generally be shunned.  Nobody comes to HubPages to get upset.  Participating in this site should be a positive experience.  If a Hubber is upsetting you, it's best to ignore them.  There are plenty of Hubbers who are willing to help out and are generally positive.  Of course, you never know how someone will react to a comment, so commenting has its risks.

1. bizna profile image77

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am just two weeks old here and i think that's the first challenge i have come across.

2. mattforte profile image90
      mattforteposted 5 years agoin reply to this

X2. There are a lot of friendly people here...and there are a lot of ignorant people here. This is the nature of the interwebs.

4. Mathewson profile image79
    Mathewsonposted 5 years ago

Of course there are some rules on Hubpages. But I don't see why it is necessary to be unethical as this is a website for interesting and useful stuff and also some cool source for different thing. The people should have some moral and just be polite and constructive.

1. bizna profile image77

Thank you for the encourangement

5. Rosemay50 profile image78
    Rosemay50posted 5 years ago

Firstly 'HE' was a 'SHE'
    Six words ' but ladies are really to blame'
    Those words are what upset the author, she approved your comment so that other female hubbers would be aware of your single minedness and disrespect for women. She was angry as most of us would be after reading these words on such a topic.

6. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I would have been equally confused. The author herself was accusing woman of engaging in the particular activity due to a lack of self-esteem. Perhaps she was offended because you didn't equally chastise men. Either way, considering she was denigrating people simply due to her own personal distastes, I don't see where she has the moral grounds to complain about someone else's alleged denigration at all.

At any rate, there is no universal ethics here. Everyone is a little bit different. I personally don't mind disagreements, but will draw the line at personal attacks. To some extent you just have to get to know people. I usually try to be extra moderate and mild in what I say if I am unfamiliar with a particular author.

working