jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Question about the term "published work."

1. uzzell4me profile image65
    uzzell4meposted 4 years ago

Question about the term "published work."

If I wanted to sell one of my articles, are my articles I submit on my Hubpage considered published work?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 4 years ago

I presume that by publishing work on hubpages, we retain copyright, and are free to sell elsewhere.  However, some editors are put off printing work that has already appeared on the Internet (and you must tell them, they will eventually find out, and probably never buy from you again, if you are in any way underhand) effectively you are only offering second serial rights.  A way around this, what all good writers do when selling the same article to various print mags, is to re-jig the article to suit the intended publication.  You are then offering a new article that will command, first serial rights, for the territory where it is being offered.

uzzell4meposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, that's awesome! I've been at this a whole week so any information is appreciated.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago

Actually, if you want to get picky about it, anytime you write words on paper you have published them!  When you put them on the internet, they really are published. 
    Most people who pay for articles want them to be original, fresh and previously unread by the public, so you may have a problem selling an article you've already put out there.

uzzell4meposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, good advice! I really didn't want to ask this question, although I believe other people want to know as well.

working