Any New York, North Carolina or RI Hubbers currently using Ebay?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I ask this because I am worried about Massachusetts and Maryland reconsidering an internet sales tax this year. I know that I will lose Amazon if this happens. And I am trying to figure out if I'll lose Ebay.

(California state lawmakers will begin hearings on the matter  on Jan 11.)

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it passes, what does it mean for Ebay sellers and Ebay associates?  Can they no longer sell on Ebay?  I'm confused by what the law is stating.

2. profile image0

The internet sales tax requires online companies with a physical presence in the state to collect sales taxes. Amazon considers its affiliates a physial presence and kicks them out of the program. That's why I'm not making any more Amazon hubs - among other reasons. Massachusetts and Maryland both seriously considered those taxes last year. And now a new round of legislation is making its way through the system.

I'm trying to figure out if Ebay has kicked out its affiliates from the states that have enacted these laws. Because if they have I'm not going to waste time writing more hubs.

3. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

Just to clarify a little, it has always been the case that if a company had a physical presence in a state that the state could and usually would collect sales tax. 

The new twist is that many states are now changing the laws so that having affiliates in that state constitutes a physical presence by the merchant, so they have to collect sales tax if they keep the affiliates.

So if I ran a drop ship ecommerce store out of the spare bedroom in my house, but the set up an affiliate program that was successful in attracting affiliates in all 50 states, I would be considered to have a physical presence in each of them and would need to collect sales tax for each of those states and file all the attendant paperwork.

4. profile image0

It appears that ebay has kept its affilates in NY, RI, and NC, because ebay technically doesn't sell anything.

But I can't find a specific statement from the company anywhere. If just one hubber from one of these states would say that ebay kept them, I would feel a lot safer.

Not all companies agree that an affiliate constitutes a physical presence in the state. They have been willing to keep affiliates if the affiliate agrees to only use search engine marketing. And refrains from email campaigns and PPC bidding. They consider an affiliate as advertising. The same way that a business can advertize in a New York newspaper and not be considered to have a physical presence.

So if you live in a state considering an internet tax law, it's important to know how individual merchants handle this.

5. profile image0

Okay I think I've answered my own question. From the Ebay blog about the California pending legislation in 2009 that was vetoed by the governor.

"Many in the affiliate industry have been talking about CA Assembly Bill 178.  If you’re unfamiliar with AB 178, it is a pending bill that is similar to one passed in New York that considers certain affiliate marketing publishers as sales representatives for out-of-state retailers. This would result in the out-of-state retailer being required to collect sales tax on sales to in-state customers.  It is possible that this could cause out-of-state retailers to disallow affiliate marketing for publishers based in California. This bill will be heard in committee on April 13th in Sacramento, and all California-based affiliates can influence the outcome of the vote.

While it is unlikely that this bill would have any direct impact on eBay Partner Network, as members of the broader affiliate industry we wanted to make sure that we are doing our part to ensure that affiliate marketing remains an opportunity for people to build businesses and livelihoods."

6. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the information.

While setting up our Etsy store, I found out I do have to charge MN state tax to people who live in Minnesota.  I assume I'd have to do the same on Ebay.

7. profile image0
    rethansmithposted 14 years ago

I am an eBay affiliate from NY and have had 0 problems so far.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh man, thank you so much for that!!!! You have really made my night. I am trying to protect my online business if Massachusetts or Maryland passes the internet tax law - and this helps alot. Thank you again!!!

Yea! I can write ebay hubs with blissful abandon!!!!

1. profile image0
        rethansmithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Always happy to help.

2. Dao Hoa profile image59
        Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am happy for you Nelle because you just had a successful month last month. It would be sad if you have to abandon it! smile

1. profile image0
          Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it would. But I am highly diversified. The money would keep flowing, even if I never wrote anoter hub. But leaving hubpages would make me very very sad, and I hope it never has to happen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)