Is anyone thinking of leaving HP?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

Is anyone thinking of leaving HP?

My traffic has fallen real deep and so are the HP earnings. Was wondering anyone out there thought of giving HP?

2. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Peachpurple, did your traffic drop since Panda started in February 2011, or only very recently? My own website traffic is miserably down and I was thinking of spending more time to get it up. On top of that, revenue per click has also gone down a lot.

3. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

Peachpurple,
    Yes, I have thought about leaving HubPages, but I've changed so many things over my lifetime that I'm a little tired of change. The secret to staying with anything, I have learned, is to function from the center of love in your heart. Be constant. Through the law of cause and effect, our attitudes and actions come back to us--if they are negative, they come back as such. If however, we calm our thoughts and listen to the heart and our desire to express our true being, everything flows naturally and rewards come back to us in ways we hadn't imagined.

I'm not making anything from HubPages (under a dollar per month), but I keep learning a little bit more as I read others' work and experiment with the hub creation tools.

Everything in Nature goes in cycles--the tides, the seasons, and, undoubtedly the same will be true with the earnings as we progress with our skills at HubPages. If you don't have any inspiration to write that next hub, go for a walk, take a dance class, or "hop" some hubs--whatever you can do to let go of your disappointment and, perhaps, frustration. Maybe you'll have an idea to make one of your lower scoring hubs more interesting. Whatever it takes, ride the tide and you'll make it safely back to shore.

So, I don't recommend leaving HubPages, but lay it to heart. Your heart will tell you what to do (after taking a brisk walk in the fresh air)! --Blessings, Marie

1. WalterPoon profile image68
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said... HubPages is as much a victim of Panda, as much as all of us. Given the profit-sharing formula, we are all in the same boat. Apparently, HubPages is not the only website affected. If you comb the internet, so also are the rest.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Walter, HP is doing other things than just getting through Panda.  I have been here 5 years and have been through many changes, but this last ones is it.  I am taking my articles someplace else.

3. WalterPoon profile image68

Lady Guinevere, you are finally here! I was hoping you would come. I am still wondering what the last changes are. Could that be why Simone Smith left?

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I dunno but something is fishy here.  Go look at your stats and see all the way on the right the feature list.  I unpub most of my hubs and I got some unfeat for quality things.  I am not repub them.  I hve upgraded too many times already.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Hello peach,
           Yes, I have been thinking very seriously about leaving HP. My views haven't dropped, nor has my earnings. I am just so irritated at this new rating system. My biggest question is "What are they thinking?" I refuse to go back and edit the amount of hubs that have been labeled as non featured. I do not have the time, nor do I think it to be necessary. Let them play their little games. I think it is greed driven!

1. duffsmom profile image62
      duffsmomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I find it a little naive when Hub writers think the new changes are for our benefit. This site has to make money and that is the bottom line. I don't think they really care about their writers.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I find it very naive and also kind of insulting. I wonder if those people saying this will be saying the same next week when they get hit really hard?

5. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

Yes, I am thinking of other options.
    I was stuck here due to the creative satisfaction of writing and not for money. The community is wonderful and very helpful and supportive. I have learnt a lot from each and every member.
    I have not made any money here, nor was bothered for the same. But I can see that instead of concentrating on writing on new topics, all the time one has to revamp or rewrite or edit already written successful hubs, to save them from being non featured. Imagine the plight of those who have over hundred hubs. We do keep our hubs updated, relevant and fresh, but not like this.
    I have been reading many hubbers complaining about similar issues. Even the emails I sent for some queries to HP, have not been answered.

6. fpherj48 profile image62
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

I've seen so many really wonderful writers choose to leave...and I'm always so sad to see them go.  I've become fond of so many fellow hubbers and feel a true connection to them, to say nothing of seriously appreciating their fabulous writing.   I can't help but wish that they might consider staying, but cutting back on the time they spend on HP.....write elsewhere if they choose, to increase their income.   
    I understand how they reach this decision to cut ties with HP, and always wish them much luck and success.....but I miss them.
    I've not considered leaving and I have no idea if I will in the future, but anything is possible.  As it stands at the moment, I'm fairly satisfied that I get from HP what I put forth.....and I enjoy the social aspect.....the education and the entertainment.

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Peachpurple, I don't think I've been here long enough to consider leaving. I've noticed in Q&A and forums that a number of those who are thinking of leaving have been here a year or more. So I guess you've been through several changes that bring you to this point. I'm prepared to ride out the storm and move through the transition. I can only speak for myself as I see light at the end of the tunnel. I have gone through a lot of stress to get where I am now, just beginning to grasp how to play the game and tame the beast. So I'll be here for the long haul.

8. icv profile image52
    icvposted 10 years ago

hey, before saying that check your account, where you may see "Includes data from 33 hours ago and earlier " .    wait for updates.

9. Jared Miles profile image69
    Jared Milesposted 10 years ago

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question peachpurple, as I haven't been with Hubpages all that long. However I feel that it's not about the amount I earn from my Hubs. I like to teach people where I can, and express my thoughts through writing.

Plus, I've never actually struggled with Panda updates or Hubpages rating problems, because these updates are things I was initiated into. It may disadvatage us, but I suppose that those who truly wish to write will write someplace or another.

I think it's just best to not worry about the little things. It's only money, only an update, only a new ratings system. People probably won't appreciate me saying that, but in my situation at least, Hubpages is a creative outlet, and money earned through Hubpages is a nice bonus, but not essential.

To actually answer your question though, I thought of leaving Hubpages only a few weeks after I started, but I'll ride out the storms I suppose.

10. djdaniel150 profile image61
    djdaniel150posted 10 years ago

Yep, everyone thinks they're just going to make a fast buck on the internet, but if you don't understand the technology behind the internet, then you cannot compete, no exceptions. I've been playing this game for a long time, I've got it down well, and from my experience more than 99% fail on the web. Why? Because of their own ignorance and the fact they aren't making a good enough effort.

1. WalterPoon profile image68

Djdaniel150, do you think HubPages is doing it correctly, based on your long experience? I've worked the internet for 5 years, trying to make some money, with pathetic results.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your comments are not only false about HP, IT IS NOT LIKE THE NET. I take offense to your words as hard as I have worked in the last year only to be slapped in the face. I think you will be eating your words when you really start writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)