What inspires you to write quality hubs when you know they can be unfeatured for

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)
  1. jemuelO profile image88
    jemuelOposted 10 years ago

What inspires you to write quality hubs when you know they can be unfeatured for low engagement?

Making a quality content hub requires effort and dedication. With the update of Google Panda and low engagement of some hubs, which sometimes results to getting hubs unfeatured, what keeps you inspired in making more hubs despite these unfavorable changes.

2. profile image0
    ateinposted 10 years ago

AFAIK, the criterion for a hub to be unfeatured for want of engagement(traffic wise) is pretty low. Maybe 3-4 hits/visits per month . If a hub is not able to garner 3-4 hits/visits per month over a time period then what is the point of keeping that hub on hubpages . And if a hubber really wants to keep his/her hub/s featured then s/he should make sure that the low traffic hub gets at least 5-6 visits per month via social media, forums,blogs  etc, which is enough to keep the hub featured.

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You first speak of 3 & 4, then later you mention 5 & 6...  Well, so much for exactitude...  LOL!

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

I write because I have something to say. Hopefully it resonates with some readers but if it does not it won't change a thing. I'm not on Hubpages to earn a living nor am I out to collect the most followers. I've never even applied for GoogleAdsense. The purpose of my hubs is to encourage self-empowerment in relationships.

4. profile image87
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

As Atein already mentioned, the bar for a hub becoming unfeatured is set very low. A hub only needs to get a handful of views a month to remain featured.

In order to guard against a hub becoming unfeatured, I perform keyword analysis on a potential subject before and during the writing process to ensure that the topic and the keywords I use to construct the title etc actually will get me decent (potentially at least) views.

When I publish a hub, I also advertise it on my Google+ page and it is of course shared with all my followers here. I am also looking into Pinterest as a further generator of views.

If I see a hub that I thought would do well struggling after a few of months, I will do further keyword analysis and look at the hub again to see if there is anything more I can do to assist it in getting a decent level of traffic.

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great answer. When we do our research BEFORE writing, we get a good idea of whether a page is going to be successful or not. I also totally agree with re-assessing keywords and editing pages after 4-6 months if they are not doing well.

2. jemuelO profile image88
      jemuelOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree with you. There should be a preliminary research on the keywords and observe its performance within few months and do another research when you get low traffic. Well, it requires more effort but it's worth it. Thank you!

5. pagesvoice profile image74
    pagesvoiceposted 10 years ago

First of all, I would never want to write anything but a quality hub. The thought of just throwing something together for the sake of having another hub makes absolutely no sense to me. Writing to me anyway, is a labor of love. I attack my stories much like I do cooking, gardening or woodworking. In other words, I do it with passion. Many of my hubs have been published in a national magazine and distributed nationwide at Barnes and Noble and Book World stores. My point is not to boast, but rather to point out why I feel it is necessary to not lose focus on why we write in the first place. For you see, writing isn't just about HubPages, rather it is about the audiences you want to reach.

One of the beauties with HP now is the wonderful guide you get when putting your story together. The word count, pictures and video suggestions are all laid out for the author to follow. When I see a hub is failing, then it becomes clear that it is high time to tweak it here and there...do some reworking and maybe even change the title.

An important lesson I have learned while being on HubPages is that this is not a venue for a lazy or poor writer. Seriously, who wants to read a poorly written story?

Very well said! Quality should be prioritized over quantity. Hubpages is a great venue for passionate writers, we just need to work on reaching our audience for our hubs. Thank you for answering!

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

Hub Pages has recruited us by asking us to write what we feel strongly about or have an expertise in as the only qualifiers.  I don't understand the point of unfeaturing hubs based on any other criteria.  But it doesn't bother me.  Some of my hubs are not featured on any given day.  Some of those are my favorites and have many views and comments.  Whatever.

I am new to Hubpages yet I learned a lot of things here. One of the things I learn about is the fact that traffic to our hubs fluctuates or rises with time. I think it's just normal, so why bother about it? I'm totally agreeing with you.

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I'm still new here so I was very interested in reading people's answers. Even though I thought some of my hub topics would start losing views after a few days and eventually get unfeatured, I don't see that happening. Even though I get specific with my topics, I think I write them with enough "general interest" written in that people will read them for the general info. I'm thinking (and I could be wrong) most hubs should do fairly well unless they're time specific - such as news stories, etc.

8. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 10 years ago

It is no big deal.  One doesn't have to keep a large inventory of Hubs on this site anyway.  If something performs poorly here, just move it to another blog, writing site, or your paid domain(s) if you have some.  Many times, they will do better there anyway; plus, you don't have to worry about unfeaturing your own works, then.  Back in the day, they used to call it "deletion."  Ha!
    I've moved 99% of everything I've ever wrote here, to other websites.
    I figure it is about time for me to write a few more Hubs, then delete 'em all, yet again, from this site when I get tired of looking at their pathetic traffic stats.
    The good thing is, you don't have to pay hosting fees for this site and many folks enjoy the interactive features found here.
    This is also the only site I've ever been apart of that gets almost all of its traffic from Google.
    All the other years I've been involved with websites, blogs, etc., I've always had a good share of traffic from Yahoo! & Bing (formerly Live, then MSN, whatever) search engines along with other less popular SEs.  HubPages seems to be more about Googlizing the Googified Googalities of Google.  Ha!

In a thumbnail, have fun, try to produce quality stuff, and if it doesn't work out, either try harder, move it somewhere else, or take up a new hobby like quantum toiletry.  LOL!

9. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

I only write about what I know like gardening, which I know a lot of tips about it, my plants and my flowers which I really like writing about. And also I like to write about recipes that I know how to cook. I really enjoy writing now, never wrote articles before until I stumbled upon hubpages.

10. myefforts profile image54
    myeffortsposted 10 years ago

All of us here put their efforts to express their feelings or experience in a good way to make it a featured hub. I write with the same passion, trying to write something that benefits others. This helps me write quality stuff here.

11. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 10 years ago

Its an way to express what we feel and many a time our experiences here. For me comments and featured category is an icing on the cake always. To put a quality work together and grow every minute whatever I do is what is most important for me. Complete dedication with maximum effort in everything that capture anybody's interest area will sure go a long way. No matter if its writing or anything. Self satisfaction is another issue that I think many of my hubber friends are concerned here. Its always a creative satisfaction to go for that extra mile to compile another hub with a topic that goes around in mind. Thank you

12. MarleneB profile image90
    MarleneBposted 10 years ago

I put my best effort into whatever I write. At the same time, I know that what I write may be relevant one day and irrelevant another day. When I see a hub go unfeatured because of low engagement, I don't fret. I understand that this is simply part of the process. I analyze the hub. I improve it where I can and promote it to give it more attention.

The thing that keeps me inspired in making more hubs is the knowledge that the hub was unfeatured for low engagement and not for poor quality. If a hub is unfeatured for low quality, then I would suffer negative feelings. Knowing that the hub is not generating engagement is good feedback for me. It draws my attention to the hub and gives me an opportunity to fix the hub and give it more energy.

This answer is so uplifting. Well, you really have a point-when a hub is unfeatured due to lack of engagement, then nothing to worry about cause it only means you have written a good hub. Hey, I do agree with you. It's far better than having a hub un

13. alisharenee profile image85
    alishareneeposted 10 years ago

Since I've joined Hubpages I've been wondering how some people seem to have more luck than others when it comes to publishing popular Hubs, however the quality of the content is often equally as good for a Hub getting tons of traffic versus one getting low traffic.  It's all about what the readers are looking for.  What they type into those online search engines really drives the Hub market, so to speak.

For me, Pinterest is one of my main marketing tools for my Hubs.  I like Pinterest because it can reach a large population relatively quickly, and if it's a popular Pin, it will continue to be pinned by hundreds of people daily! 

However, I do have some Hubs that are not featured.  At first it was a bit of a damper, but I realized that those topics are just not as popular on the Internet as some of my featured Hubs.  For example, I love to write about psychology, but there's not a lot of traffic to those Hubs.  I've also written a Hub about child abuse, which the ads have been disabled for because of the nature of the Hub.  I'm absolutely okay with that because I wrote the Hub to increase awareness, not to earn income.  Sometimes we just have to write what is in our heart, regardless of whether or not it's going to be a hit with the Internet community.  Another thing that helps keep me motivated is the wonderful feedback from others, even if the Hub is not featured it is nice to hear that your Hub meant something to someone, even if it has not reached the masses!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)