jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Apostrophe in URL

1. Inspirepub profile image78
    Inspirepubposted 10 years ago

One for the very technical here ...

Wikipedia have gone and put an apostrophe in the URL of an article I want to link to.

Hubpages drops all of the URL after the apostrophe, and the link doesn't work.

Backslash doesn't work.

&#39 doesn't work.

Anyone got any other ideas?

If all else fails I can make a tiny URL, but I'd rather have a visible Wikipedia link if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,

Jenny

2. jimmythejock profile image86
    jimmythejockposted 10 years ago

did you use a link capsule or link it in your text capsule?.....jimmy

3. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 10 years ago

What's the link?

Paste it here so we can kick it around.

4. Inspirepub profile image78

I linked in a text capsule.

It's the link to Dunbar's number in the paragraph just above the photo of the monkey in this Hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Web-20-Marketin … Or-Fiction

I now have a workaround for this particular one - someone else obviously had the same problem, went into wikipedia and created a redirect from /dunbars_number to the wiki article at /dunbar's_number.

But for future reference it would be a good thing to have worked out, in case the URL in question is somewhere that you can't create your own redirects.

Jenny

5. beta1070 profile image60
    beta1070posted 10 years ago

I think Wikipedia's systems create those redirects. Their algo redirects singular to plural, adjust for lower/upper case etc.

6. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 10 years ago

It sounds like there may be a bug on our side.  Handling quotes and apostrophes is always a little tricky, they have to be escaped properly or they have the potential to mess things up.  I'll throw this into our bug queue.

7. Inspirepub profile image78

Thanks, Paul.

working