jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What's the difference between a hub and a blog?

1. merej99 profile image81
    merej99posted 4 years ago

What's the difference between a hub and a blog?

I noticed there was a reference to it when I signed up for hubpages but I was under the impression hubpages was an "informative" type of blogging.  Am I wrong?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8683810_f260.jpg

2. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I think the term, blog, in itself has different interpretations.  HP is not a blogging platform.  Hubs are articles about anything of which the hubber wants to write.  Informational hubs can certainly have a personal touch, and can add to the writer's credibility when informing about specific topics, or writing recipes, and how-to hubs.  Blogging about everyday activities in a more personal nature is not what HP is about.  Think of writing hubs on topics of which people want information.  Most people don't really care about what I did today or yesterday except maybe my friends and family.  That can be left for a blog or Facebook, or a journal.  It looks like you've got the general idea by looking at your hubs.  You're off to a great start!

merej99posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi rebekahELLE - thank you for the response.  I had a feeling it was something like that. My paranoia about "personal touches" part stemming from writing college papers where it HAD to be objective and in the third person

3. mintinfo profile image75
    mintinfoposted 4 years ago

Blogs are more personal and opinionated while Hubs are more informative and concise to a pacific topic.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree, although there are times some people seem to confuse the two.

2. merej99 profile image81

Hi mintinfo.  Thank you for the response!  Hope to see you around.  wink  (insert shameless plug here.  LOL)

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I agree with both Rebekah and mintonfo. To add to what they've used as descriptions, I'd also say that many blogs can be regarded as self-promotional because people often use them to keep fans interested in the books they've published, songs they've recorded, and many other things. Using those two examples, hubs are used to relay more general information such as writing tips or teach people about the various genres of music. Hubs are not to be personal ads for whatever we want to sell.

Thank you sheilamyers.  I have seen a lot of self-promotional type hubs and wondered about them.  When I get on the hopper I keep going when I see them (seems nicer than voting down.)

working