jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How do you Hubbers deal with it when people copy your Hub?

1. Theophanes profile image96
    Theophanesposted 4 years ago

How do you Hubbers deal with it when people copy your Hub?

I admit I have been VERY lax on the issue of people copying my Hubs but recently it's gotten bad. Today I found my PET rat article copied on a pest control blog! That was the first time I've been really POed about a copy and paste. So I am going over my other articles and a ton have been copy and pasted whole with no link, most on forums which I am now joining to ask for removal - and these are weeeird forums they're finding themselves on! Others are whole copied articles with no provider to complain to... how do you guys deal with it??

2. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I invoke a prayer to the Ancient Ones that they might smite the copycats, so I can drink beer out of their empty skulls.

1. Georgie Lowery profile image93
      Georgie Loweryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'd be drunk 24/7 if I did that!

3. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 4 years ago

Hello Theophanes. That's a great question. After being on HubPages for over 4 years I have witnessed a lot of copyright infringement (especially with photos) and a lot of copied work posted on other sites and blogs.

This activity is illegal and needs to be reported. The best way to report this is to alert Google and other search engines by filing a "DMCA Complaint". Whenever someone creates and publishes original content on a respected site (like HubPages) they receive a digital signature of sorts that acknowledges the author and content along with a date and time stamp. Anything that is copied after that, is not considered original.

To learn more, follow this link to HubPages Learning Center Article on How To File a DMCA Complaint: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

DMCA stands for "Digital Millennium Copyright Act" and you can also read more about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi … yright_Act

About a year ago, this happened to me and I was so mad. I was alerted by a small group of other Hubbers that were attacked by another site where they stole our work and published it 100% as their own. We got together, complained to Google, and the site was eventually shut down and banned. You can't let copyright infringement slide.

If this happens to you or anyone you know, it should be reported to prevent future infringement. Great question that I see quite often over time.

Hope this helps! Best of success!

4. bethperry profile image89
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

In addition to sharing FatFreddysCat's sentiment, I pity these people. Anyone that seeks to make money by pretending to write things they were too lazy or creative to ever think up on their own do not have what it takes to survive on their own. In other words, pathetic leeches.

5. Mary McShane profile image79
    Mary McShaneposted 4 years ago

I just wrote a hub about my experience in trying to deal with copied content. It probably does not answer your particular question, but it is possible that some hubbers may comment and they might be of some assistance to you.