Copyright infringement - This is NOT a complaint; rather a compliment

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (27 posts)
  1. LiamBean profile image79
    LiamBeanposted 10 years ago

About once a week I peruse my hubs to check on traffic, comments, and just generally see how things are going. One of my hubs, "What Are The Benefits of Eating Bananas," had the copyright symbol next to it. I know from past experience that this means hubpages has found my content somewhere else on the web.

This hub gets quite a few reads, which surprises me, I don't think it's all that special. But, and this is a big but, when I clicked on the notification I found that the article had been copied five times.

FIVE TIMES!

In three cases the thief copied everything, the formatting, the pictures, and naturally all of the text. In the other two cases just the text was pilfered. In one of those two cases the absconder changed a few of the words around in an attempt to disguise the theft. I was gobsmacked!

Here's the compliment. If HubPages didn't have this feature I might never have known about it. Everyone has gotten a notice to take the content down or else.

Thank you HubPages!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it is a nice added feature.  Even though my hubs have been copied, none of my hubs show as copied.

LiamBeanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Millionaire: I agree. It's a problem and the truth is, not even copyscape catches them all. I maintain that as writers we should warn these thieves away, or more, whenever the theft is found.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.
      We are glad you find this feature useful.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

It is a nice feature.  I don't think it catches everything, but it's a great feature with the link provided, etc.  Now you can go bananas and take them down. smile

I used copyscape to look for more offenders. The only thing I found was one of the recipes I posted. The ingredients matched; that's not enough, really, to pursue. And frankly I always get recipes from elsewhere and modify them to suit my own tastes. I'm really big on getting rid of fat. If I can, I substitute vegetable oil or avocado. I always try the recipe at least twice before I publish it.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

So....... you didn't find the copy I hid then?   smile

Believe me mate, if they peeled you once, then they have peeled you on many more occasions AND right across ALL your fruit!  sad
    Don't rely on a notification...
    Sorry, but it always pays to check randomly and personally right across your hubs!

4. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

really? If the hub is being copied, there is a c symbol? Wow... didn't know there is such feature. Up till now, i haven't seen any on my hubs ... cross my fingers not to... Anyway, i love reading your hubs. Couldn't figure out why these thieves had to do such a shame work. I mean, this is all your hard work.!!!

5. jdw7979 profile image71
    jdw7979posted 10 years ago

Nice feature, and knowing is half the battle in keeping your work just that, yours. I applaud HubPages for doing this..

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

The copyright checker doesn't pick them all up. sad I have the C symbol on one hub but I know at least 10 are copied multiple times.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

So sorry your hub was copied - and I am glad to know how the alert system works here. It would be great if it picked up everything (and then hunted down the thieves).  But it's very good to know it does catch some of the violations.  Thanks for posting the information, and I hope you get the sites taken down.

It was more than one. I quite literally spent an hour tracking down response links and writing CandD letters. I made not one dime doing that. But that's not the point is it?

8. LiamBean profile image79
    LiamBeanposted 10 years ago

Well folks, there's an upside to this. If they aren't taken down in a timely fashion I get to sue them.

Here's my routine. Now that I know that the content, in whole, has been used without my consent I now know to check with copyscape.

WryLilt: This is YOUR WORK. You are protected BY LAW. Pursue, pursue, pursue. If you don't you not only let yourself down, you let all other original content authors down as well. We all work hard to produce this work. It takes years to get recognition and even more years to turn pro. When someone steals YOUR HARD WORK they are making money on YOUR EFFORTS.

You worked hard for this and it is theft. You conscience and the law agree on this point. It is theft.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have my ways to induce labour hubs copied across forums all over the internet by appreciative mummies. I still outrank them, so removing them doesn't do much and isn't worth my time. My time is too valuable to chase down how-to guides.

9. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

I just to warn writers not to rely on this feature. My hubs have been copied many times and I have never had the copyright warning symbol show up on my list of hubs. I'm sure this is a great feature when it works, but if you are worried about thieves stealing your material, you need to be diligent about finding copied articles yourself.

Try using Google Alerts to let you know when your work has been copied. Here is a hub by homestead bound that explains how:

http://homesteadbound.hubpages.com/hub/ … gle-Alerts

10. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 10 years ago

I guess one could think of others copying your work as a compliment...at least it was good enough to steal ! Only kidding! I've been in the same boat and it's distasteful. yikes

It's more than distasteful. The sties that use your work without permission are usually monetized. They are making money on your content and not compensating you for it.

11. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 10 years ago

I had an odd experience this last few weeks. Not a hub but a Squidoo lens. Found it copied on a National Trust (UK charity that maintains and restores property: stately homes, that sort of thing) blog. I wrote to them by snail mail and enclosed an invoice for £250. A couple of days later received a phone call with an apology. After two weeks, they sent a cheque for the full amount. big_smile

1. Judi Bee profile image90
      Judi Beeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Result! big_smile

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unbelievable!  Judi - do you think we should hire a Swedish lawyer to bill the current host? smile

2. LiamBean profile image79

What a great idea. I think I'll ask for some dollar amount as well as insist on removal of the content from here on out. After all, the DMCA has provisions for recovering funds from sites that have made money featuring your content.

12. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

So is the copyright "c" now in place of the "duplicate content" email? I got one of those once and it turned out not to be what HP thought. Anyway, I like the phrase 'possibly copied' instead of the other terminolgy and phrasing that implied it was the author's fault before any investigation was done. It caused unnecessary stress.

13. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 10 years ago

I was only notified once with that copyright notification from HubPages and apparently my copied hub...photos and all had been up for a couple of years!  I have found many others...but on my own.  So while nice, don't count on it.  Wish there was some built in software that HP could use to notify us all of the time.  Would be an added perk to writing on this site.  smile

You could try http://www.copyscape.com

It doesn't catch everything either, but you'll get results HugPages may miss.

14. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 10 years ago

I've never had a notification from HP, even though a lot of my hubs were scraped. However, the way I've found the easiest to track copiers is to copy a section of text from the middle of the lens - a sentence or two - and paste it into a google search within quotation marks. That will bring up exact matches. Click on the 'show omitted results' button at the bottom of the search results.

That's a good idea too.

15. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 10 years ago

Hi LiamBean,
    I was shocked when HP told me that my most popular hub had been copied, and it was only one month after I wrote it in 2011! They took every piece, pictures, and even info about my personal blog, insinuating it was their blog. HP found two other hubs where the same thing happened. I was able to write to all 3 who stole my writing, and they did take it down without my filing a complaint, so I was lucky. It's nice of HP to do the work for us. I never would have checked, as they were older hubs, though ones that get a lot of views. It's amazing how some people are so nervy that they will copy someone else's stuff word for word, and then even use the same pictures, and pretend they have a blog on the same topic!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)