jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I have a photo/picture copyright question.

1. Elderberry Arts profile image98
    Elderberry Artsposted 3 years ago

I have a photo/picture copyright question.

I have a copyright question. I would like to write a hub about a popular video game but am not sure what I am allowed to use with regards to pictures. If I take a screenshot of my own game or draw a picture am I allowed to use those although I do not own the copyright to the item they represent? Or will I need permission to use any image however created? Many thanks.

2. JG11Bravo profile image85
    JG11Bravoposted 3 years ago

I try to play it as safe as possible with image copyrights and stick only to creative commons licensed images.  However, posting unaltered screenshots of video games is generally considered fair use.  Generally.  The best thing to do is play it safe, if you ask me.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I agree with JG and it would best to try to contact the game company and ask for permission, but ... As they say, there's always a "but". You should be safe using a screenshot if it's from your own computer. I'm not sure what you're going to write, but I'd say if it's a review most people would probably not care and see it as advertising. I've also seen screenshots of games posted at sites hosting "game cheats" (the solutions to the games) and have never heard of any game companies complaining.

4. Elderberry Arts profile image98
    Elderberry Artsposted 3 years ago

Thank you. I agree playing it safe is always best but I wasn't sure how screenshots would be classed. I may try and contact Nintendo but otherwise will stick with screenshots.