Anyone else feeling discouraged to keep writing here due to plummeting hub score

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Kathleen Odenthal profile image93
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 3 years ago

Anyone else feeling discouraged to keep writing here due to plummeting hub scores?

I know they shouldnt matter, but I do take it personally when I see my hub scores plummet overnight. I know a lot of you have noticed this happening recently and I was curious if it was detering others from continuing to publish hubs.

2. AudreyHowitt profile image84
    AudreyHowittposted 3 years ago

An interesting question!  I think I will follow this thread!

3. pateluday profile image36
    pateludayposted 3 years ago

Yes I believe stability is needed otherwise it is resulting in disappointment in spite o f hubs being good. I believe the metrics should be loosened a bit.

4. Au fait profile image92
    Au faitposted 3 years ago

My hub scores and hubber score have actually come up.  Once upon a time I was a 97, but then for unknown mysterious reasons it dropped and leveled out at 91 with occasional hikes up to 94, and then back down.

My hub scores were all fairly low until last week.  Once upon a time several were at 100.

The last few days when everyone was talking about their dropping hub scores mine actually came up.  Some came up 10 or more points!  The overall average of all hubs came up by 10 points.

While everyone was complaining that their hub scores dropped several points when they tweaked their hubs, mine went up several points when I updated mine.  I don't tweak mine and never have.  If I find additional new info that would make a good addition I update it, photos, as well, etc., but otherwise I depend on other people to let me know if there are issues with spelling, etc.

The downer IMO is the drop in income.  Income is what matters, not hub or hubber scores.  Google doesn't know or care about our internal scores, followers, comments, etc. 

Google cares about writing quality and comprehensiveness.  Google likes long articles that include as much as possible of what a person is looking for so that they don't have to go shopping all over the net trying to find all the info they want and put it together themselves. 

Google doesn't like parts 1, 2, and 3, etc. because that means the customer won't find everything they want/need to know in one place.  They have to go to a lot of other sites to find what they're looking for.

I find that people on here are judging hub length by their own needs.  What most people on here need is a short article they can scan quickly, write a quick comment, and then move on to the next article and do the same thing.  Long articles like mine, most likely get pretty tedious to hubbers that just want to get it over with.  So they write their own articles short and make several parts in different publishings to meet their own and other hubbers needs.

On the other hand, people who are genuinely looking for particular information want to find that info and learn what they need to know.  They would rather find it all in one place than have to hunt and hunt all over the web trying to find it, or jump to one article after another.  We are supposed to be trying to please Google customers' needs, not our own.

Expect my scores will drop into the basement again soon, but it's nice having them up a bit while it lasts.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image73
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

No, because I simply do not pay attention to it since I know that there is a reason, or are reasons, such as Google, Panda, 'faults' or 'glitches' causing delays and the score will soon return to normal - or better.
    Publishing Hubs lowers the scores, a few days after it is featured the score raises again.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image73
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

If everyone followed that path Kathleen, do you know how many, or should I say how few, would be left?

6. billybuc profile image87
    billybucposted 3 years ago

It really depends on why you are here. The hub scores mean virtually nothing, so I don't pay any attention to them.  HP is a platform for me...it is a community where I can interact with other writers. I never took the money seriously, and I definitely never took the hub scores seriously.

1. pateluday profile image36
      pateludayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Every thing you do has a meaning. You should pay attention to hub score etc.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image73
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Exactly Billy.

3. billybuc profile image87
      billybucposted 3 years agoin reply to this

pateluday....I'm quite happy just the way things are at HP, but thanks for your opinion.

7. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

You're right Kathleen.....hub and hubber scores "shouldn't" matter.  Yet, people do take it very personally and it does cause strife.  IMHO, I don't ask these sorts of questions or even bring up the subject, because whatever is happening in terms of our numbers, has very little to do with what's happening to many of the thousands of other hubbers.
    In addition to this.....not a one of us can do anything about the "fluctuations" that occur daily, except for the suggestions of things to do that we all already know of or can read about in the Learning center.

So much of this concern has an awful lot to do with the "reason(s)" each individual is a member of HP in the first place.   If it's income.....you will note that these hubbers couldn't care less what their internal scores are.  Why would they if those monthly pay-outs keeping coming in? 

Does it make you feel better to know that your hub scores may possibly be HIGHER than perhaps the top 20 big-time earners here?  I can assure you, they don't care.  They're busy checking their pay pal accounts.

You are a good writer, Kathleen and a very active member.  In fact, it appears you are knocking yourself out.  Relax.  Try for one solid week to not even LOOK at your numbers.  They will change up and down whether you focus on them every other hour or you don't.  Give yourself a break.

If you have a passion for writing, face it.....you'll write something...some where....don't you think?  If you're basically happy being here at HP...and the only thing that annoys you is the ever-changing scores.....that's not so bad. 

From all I have been able to glean through the comments and opinions of numerous hubbers who have written on many other sites.....HP beats them all to hell.  I don't know how valid this is because this is the only online writing site I have ever used.  Except for a bit of playing with Bubblews.....That site is a joke and popularity contest....quick easy $$ and very short-lived. A writer of your caliber would not be happy with that, would you?
    If you're here for the Journey.....don't jump ship.  Enjoy the trip.

8. Marie Flint profile image61
    Marie Flintposted 3 years ago

Disregard them and keep writing, Kathleen!

Frankly, I'm in a very passive mode with my writing right now; perhaps it's the Christmas season (winter, you know).

I think hub scores are mainly influenced by traffic, which goes up and down. If you're proud of your hubs and feel they're useful or entertaining, then just be patient. Things will turn around again.

Have a wonderful Christmas and wishing you every success for the New Year!

9. dangerouslydelish profile image60
    dangerouslydelishposted 21 months ago

Mine seem to fluctuate to the point where I couldn't possibly figure out what factors and what weight these factors have, into calculating a score. Hub score would probably mean more to me if HubPages offered more information about it - like what are the specifics that are going into this scoring algorithm?

If they did that, I would start to care. Since they don't, I wish they would just do away with them because to me, they are meaningless, which means that aren't encouraging me to take action to improve the score. They don't make me work any harder, they don't make me revise my work, they're just an annoying presence.

Also, I know it seems like I'm new here, but I've been at HP for a few years. Original account is mariexotoni, so I have some experience with HP Hub scores.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)