jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

When do you use Bold?

1. junecampbell profile image84
    junecampbellposted 3 years ago

When do you use Bold?

Once upon a time, we bolded keywords because we were told that would help us attract The Great Google. Now, bolding keywords is a bad thing that will scare Google away. My question is, under what circumstances is it now smart and safe to use the BOLD function in our hubs?

2. lakeerieartists profile image77
    lakeerieartistsposted 3 years ago

I do not use bold much anymore, unless I need to emphasis a word or phrase in writing. Instead I use italics and quotation marks to highlight titles and important concepts or H2 tags to make subtitles stand out in text. (Of course HP does this for us with the capsules.)

1. junecampbell profile image84
      junecampbellposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I think all the commenters made valid points, but your answer is succinct and to the point.

3. BritFlorida profile image51
    BritFloridaposted 3 years ago

June, a good rule of thumb is to imagine that you're writing for a print publication.

4. RockyMountainMom profile image79
    RockyMountainMomposted 3 years ago

I was struggling with subheadings a minute ago and wondering the same thing.  I don't think I've used bold at all, other than misusing it for subheading in my first few hubs---so now I'm wondering if I fixed those?

The answer before this makes sense to me, and I would take that as a sound rule of thumb.  But I'm hoping you get numerous answers to this, as I'm wondering as well.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

When writing hubs, the only time I use bold text is for headings and subheadings. At one time, many people would use bold text to emphasize a word or phrase, but most have now gone to using italics for that purpose. Someone more computer literate than myself may say otherwise, but when Google "crawls" a page, I doubt having keywords in bold makes any different. All they're looking for are specific words, not the font type, size, etc.

6. favored profile image38
    favoredposted 3 years ago

Brit has a good point.  In subtitles or to bring certain key words to the readers attention, but not an entire sentence.

1. lakeerieartists profile image77
      lakeerieartistsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you should bold keyword or phrases anymore. Best to just use bold as emphasis in rare cases.

Closed to reply

working