jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Do you believe it's OK to use profanity in your hubs?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago

Do you believe it's OK to use profanity in your hubs?

2. A M Singh profile image61
    A M Singhposted 2 years ago

We should avoid the use of profanity words in our hubs to keep our blogs clean. It is true ,in few scenarios if profanity words are thoughtfully deployed can convey a lot but can not we  express our thoughts in an alternate way ? .. A Chemical can be harmless or even beneficial at low concentrations but poisonous at higher ones.

3. RTalloni profile image90
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

Some quotes come to mind…

Will without intellect results in vulgarity.

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit.

All crime is vulgar, just like all vulgarity is a crime.

If the only word you want to use is vulgar, grow up.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Outstanding response!  Thanks.

4. Sam Montana profile image42
    Sam Montanaposted 2 years ago

I would never use profanity in any article. It is amazing how common swearing has become in today's society. The FCC still has their guidelines, at least on over the air television and I abide by those rules in any article.

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

It really depends on how or why it is being used.
    Personally I have rarely used profanity in any of my hubs.

6. denise.w.anderson profile image93
    denise.w.andersonposted 2 years ago

I don't use profanity in my hubs and I cringe when others do. I have opted out of reading hubs that contain more than I am comfortable hearing.

7. RonElFran profile image99
    RonElFranposted 2 years ago

No, I don't believe it's OK to use profanity in hubs. IMO doing so reflects disrespect for readers. It would be one thing if the writer was able to warn readers so they had the option to simply not read, but to expose unsuspecting readers to language that they may consider offensive is, as I say, to disrespect them. Further, I consider it simply unprofessional. A writer who can't make a point using standard English and has to strain to shock readers is, IMO, usually not worth reading. In any case, I won't read them. The first word of profanity I come upon in a piece causes me to cease reading immediately. And of course, I'll avoid that author from then on.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Beautifully put.  I wish everybody could read this answer!

8. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12506233_f260.jpg

H-e- double hockey sticks, yes it is ok as long as we don't offend! Profanity is a literary tool on special occasions...

working