jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Is a person at fault if they simply don't get it or understand?

1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 21 months ago

Is a person at fault if they simply don't get it or understand?

Or, is it the fault of the presenter? Or, there is not any fault?

2. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 21 months ago

Depends.

If its something that's complicated and requires some kind of training/knowledge to properly understand, I wouldn't fault the person or the presenter.

If it's something the person doesn't get because they refuse to think outside of their own box, then yes I fully put the blame on them.

3. Kiss andTales profile image80
    Kiss andTalesposted 21 months ago

I believe its about communication and how we interact with others.
    We can be good at it or simply selfish.
    We can give and take in trying to undestand others as they mutually try to understand us.
    On the other hand you have people that think one way .they will you tell , you not interchange anothers experience.
    Which is a big turn off.
    The thing is they refuse to communicate with you appropriate.
    And are offended if you tell them the truth of your own conclusion. Everbody can be wrong except them .
    Sad because Jesus said we must be as little children to get into the Kingdom of God.
    What does that mean. It means children are teachable humble ready to learn and that means ready listen to learn. when you stop and think you know it all .You close the door to future things to know
    A real christain will forever be a student of God and his son Jesus we can or will not learn all in a smal life frame .but if he grants us into his kingdom we will continue education as new scrolls will be open to us.
    So no not all will get it because they think that got it all figured out.
    No they do not.

1. Kiss andTales profile image80
      Kiss andTalesposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I want to add some education is not on the same level as others. If they can not read , mabe we do not know of a disability of comprehension. But a person can and should control how they speak to others it tells more about you then what the point is

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 21 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13024512_f260.jpg

I would say it's the job of the presenter or instructor to make sure what they have to say can be reasonably understood by the average listener.
    Having said that some people will sit silently dumbfounded without asking any questions to get clarification because (they) don't want to appear stupid. Clearly that's not the presenter's fault.
    Anyone who pays money for a seminar or workshop should do their best to get their money's worth out of it in my opinion.
    The best presenters and teachers have multiple ways of explaining principles to their audience members. They just need prompting.
    However it should be noted there are adults who have ADD and their mind wanders during a presentation or they're bored with how the message is delivered in a monotone manner.
    In other instances people have various things on their mind and they zone in and out of the presentation or they have absolutely NO interest in the subject.

5. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 21 months ago

Through no fault of their own...we are all sometimes  on different levels as far as the thought process...Humor is probably one of the most misunderstood. Ever hear a joke and not get it
    (at the time) ... only later to duh.. GET IT !  ????
    People today appear to be overwhelmed with the most insignificant tasks.
    100% Focus has to be a priority to do the simplest  everyday ordinary things and what used to be called " day dreaming " now it is a medical issue with various names and drugs to keep it under control and covered by your healthcare provider...( my humor for those that don't relate.(
    .NO LAUGH required )...
    so for those that got my subliminal message answer...great.. for those that didn't...never mind..
    Thanks tsmog I has fun with this one...made my day..

6. LoliHey profile image57
    LoliHeyposted 21 months ago

It depends if the presenter did a good job explaining it.  I don't think it's anyone's fault.  It just happens.

7. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

There are times it isn't in your control or theirs, such as a language barrier or low intelligence.

8. MarieLB profile image83
    MarieLBposted 21 months ago

What a curly one Tim!  One could pick a dozen scenarios and each would produce a different answer to your question.   
                                 However, if one is talking of a teacher/presenter and a group of listeners/students that are there of their own volition, then I would say it is up to the teacher to present the topic in a number of ways - eg:visual, audial, kinesthetic - to attract as many as students as possible.  Once a listener/student is engaged, they will ask if necessary, and the teacher has the opportunity of expanding on the subject.         In that kind of situation, the heavier responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of the presenter.

working