jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Doing Affiliate: Is More Effective in Hubpages or Your Own Site?

1. Julie Nou profile image61
    Julie Nouposted 17 months ago

Doing Affiliate: Is More Effective in Hubpages or Your Own Site?

Hubpages has high statistics in terms of credibility, and I would like to venture on Amazon affiliate. Would it be better to do it in hubpages or does owning your own site? Does anyone here get good gains from doing Amazon affiliate thru hubpages?

2. Glenn Stok profile image100
    Glenn Stokposted 17 months ago

I highly recommend Amazon, as long as you are willing to follow the rules. You need to only advertise products that you can show you have used yourself. You need to use Amazon ads only for the purpose of adding value for the reader, not for yourself.

There are other rules too and you should study the learning center on this topic before placing Amazon ads, otherwise Google may lower your ranking, which is why HubPages is being very tough about all this. It's to protect you!

I usually get Amazon sales every day. And I use Amazon under the HubPages Earnings Probram because we get 8% that way. When I use my own Amazon affiliate code on my other sites, I only get 4%. Therefore I recommend you sign up for it under HubPages.

1. Julie Nou profile image61
      Julie Nouposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Oh wow, good to know about getting 8% instead of 4%, thanks Glenn!.. will def check out the rules for this. I couldn't find the learning center, so I google it btw, and it comes up with this url - hubpageshelp.com - is that it?

2. Glenn Stok profile image100
      Glenn Stokposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Julie, just click the help link at the top right of every page here on HubPages, then select the learning center. Or you can go direct to hubpageshelp.com

3. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 17 months ago

I have done over 400 percent better with sales using my own sites. I get 100 percent of commissions from sales rather than having to settle for only a portion due to revenue sharing with HP or any other content farm. So the 8 percent really means little when you don't get commissions for every sale.  I earn 6.5 percent on my sites and I get 100 percent those commissions for every sale.

1. Glenn Stok profile image100

We get 60% of the impressions on HubPages. 60% of 8% is still greater than 100% of 4%. It works in your case Linda because you're at the 6.5% level with so many sales on Amazon. But most Hubbers don't sell enough to get over 4% alone.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image59
      LindaSmith1posted 17 months agoin reply to this

I didn't make many sales on HP, but they soared when I started my new sites 2 years ago.  Whether I earn 4 percent or not, I get all of the commissions not just a portion of them.

4. tamarawilhite profile image93
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

Amazon affiliates are hard to put in a hub and not get penalized as overly promotional/spammy.

1. Glenn Stok profile image100

Amazon is ok if it has value. For example, you showed your book Humanity's Edge in your time travel hub, but I had to search Amazon to purchase it. Clicking an ad would have been easier. That's the idea of using Amazon to provide value to the reader.

working