jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

With arguments is feelings collateral damage?

1. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 11 months ago

With arguments is feelings collateral damage?

Does that discount or devalue? If so, what?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image35
    bradmasterOCcalposted 11 months ago

Tim
    It depends on the type of argument. This is a word that I have defined in the context and meaning that I use it.

Arguing is identified with most people as a personal attack on them. It has an emotional and personal connotation. Most people, I find don't like confrontation and they construe arguing as anything that makes their view not accepted.

I use the legal definition of Argument which is associated with making your case. This is not emotional per se, but presenting the facts in the best light to make your point.

The emotional argument could frazzle ones emotions and thereby by be deemed a form of collateral damage. And it can have its effect on both parties. As many people, will turn their frazzle into a personal attack. This kind of attack seems to be popular, and it totally avoids the merits of the issue. It is more like backing a cat into a corner.

MY opinion.

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 11 months agoin reply to this

Great opinion. I see it as argumentative is not the same as arguing. Argumentative is like your description and arguing is with feelings seen through emotions. Maybe that does not make sens.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image35
      bradmasterOCcalposted 11 months agoin reply to this

Tim
      yes, maybe we need to define the word every time we comment. smile

3. tsmog profile image82

I remember when in debate class we were told they just lost the argument because it became emotional. But, in common life IMHO many times we argue through our feelings of the experience expressed as emotions.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image35
      bradmasterOCcalposted 11 months agoin reply to this

Tim
      I guess that is OK, but what about those that resort to name calling and personal attacks rather than using a cogent argument.

5. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 11 months agoin reply to this

This hurt my feelings so I am a victim stuff is just wrong wrong wrong. I like to think of Hawkins and FDR as sad victims. Seems that is the last thing they would want. But use a mean word against a fragile soul and You are bad? No, you are life.

3. Dean Traylor profile image95
    Dean Traylorposted 11 months ago

I've had two ideological hubbers try to deflect my arguments made in a hub as being written with "feelings".  I guess to them that's a bad thing (despite the fact that I had evidence to validate my argument). Ironically, they were expressing a lot of negative feelings of their own in doing so.
    I'm not sure if feelings will become collateral damage in this new ploy that's been cropping up lately. What I can say is that it's becoming something akin to a suggestive fallacy  that some commentators like to use to minimize the power of your arguments.

1. tsmog profile image82

I get what you mean. I think as a writer in the online world writing with feelings is a plus since personal experience is valued as shared by HP.

2. Ericdierker profile image58

How easy to connect with logic and facts. How hard to connect with feelings. I wonder which is more common, love or mathematics. You simply cannot persuade with facts alone.

3. tsmog profile image82

I think Eric with writing online we are to give facts with logic. But, the successful do so with feelings giving them a writer's voice. Maybe that is because it is then tempered with love?

4. Ericdierker profile image58

Great food for thought Tim.That foundation is needed in the "empirical" world. But we must be ever vigilante not to label other factors as not just as real -- such as feelings.

working