jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Change the content of a hub and publish it with a new title.

1. peoplepower73 profile image93
    peoplepower73posted 11 months ago

Change the content of a hub and publish it with a new title.

Can I take an existing hub that I wrote about Obama and the mid-east and change some of the material and publish it under a new title about Trump?  Many of the same subject matter still applies.  However, there is new material as well.  What percentage has to be changed in order for it not be duplicate content?

2. Au fait profile image93
    Au faitposted 11 months ago

I have done so a few times and plan to do so again.  Rather than delete a hub and start over and lose all the views the original hub received, I just change the content and the title of the pre-existing hub.  Sometimes the title and content bear no resemblance to the original in subject matter.

I first started doing this when I read some of Wrylilt's remarks on how she was changing out the content and title of some of her hubs that weren't doing well.  So it's not unheard of and I have never had any issues nor apparently has Wrylilt.

The only drawback as I see it is that a new hub usually gets attention and is announced to one's followers via email, etc., where just replacing the title and content of an already existing hub doesn't get any attention at all. 

Google bots will crawl it and eventually the new content will be cataloged properly in their index.  It may take a little longer if the URL no longer reflects the subject and content of the original article, but it works out. 

One thing to remember to do is to be sure it's in the correct category.  You can change the category, but changing the URL can't be done so far as I know.  For more info on this I recommend consulting Wrylilt, but I can tell you it hasn't been a problem for me.

1. peoplepower73 profile image93
      peoplepower73posted 11 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Au fait.  I was concerned that HP's bots would nail it as duplicate content.  This will save a lot of work.  It will be in the same category, so that shouldn't be a problem.

2. Athlyn Green profile image95
      Athlyn Greenposted 11 months agoin reply to this

I wish the title in the url would change. At some sites it used to.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image98
    CatherineGiordanoposted 11 months ago

My opinion is that minor updates to an existing hub are good. It keeps it fresh and current.

However, if you are adding a lot of new material, I suggest doing a new hub. With a new hub you will have to rewrite your old material because you are not allowed to have duplicate material on HubPages. Rewrite it and blend in the new material.

I had the same issue (sort of) with my two most recent hubs. I discussed the different types of world governments and then did a final segment about how Trump was governing. The next day, I decided the Trump stuff really didn't belong at the end of this hub. I removed it and started a new hub. This meant I had to take some of my content from the first hub about democracy and rewrite it so that it could serve as an introduction to my comments about how Trump is eroding democracy.

I ended up with two hubs and I see that they are being paired by HP. When you read one, you see the thumbnail for the other on the right hand side of the page.

I advise you to take this route. Two hubs are better than one and you will gain synergy if they get paired by HP.

I expect that my hub about Trump will require updates as things change. I did try to keep my content as general as possible--his style of governing--so it would be more evergreen.

This was my first attempt writing about politics on HP. I've been thinking about how to do it for months. Politics changes so rapidly that a hub could be out of date in a week. I decided that my political hubs would be "big picture" hubs to avoid having them become dated.