jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Hey Hubbers, Do you think it's time to troll the spammers?

1. Dean Traylor profile image92
    Dean Traylorposted 9 months ago

Hey Hubbers, Do you think it's time to troll the spammers?

If they're going to flood the Q&A section, we might as well have some fun at their expenses. Leave a little message...or a few. And if you don't do it for Hubpages or for your family and friends, do it for America!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13506787_f260.jpg

2. Marketing Merit profile image96
    Marketing Meritposted 9 months ago

No Dean, sorry!
    Most of these posts are automated and the spammers don't give two hoots about any replies, as they won't read them.
    In my mind, replying only serves to promote the spam. Best to flag for review.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 9 months ago

No. I think it's time to get better moderation in this section, so people stop using it for spam and low quality questions, and start using it to create posts that might lead to the writing of a new Hub.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 months ago

I've been trolling the spammers for ages, it would be nice if others would do the same for awhile so I could have a break!

5. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 9 months ago

Yes, Keith, you have been vigilant and your funny, clever comments serve as entertainment.  I've enjoyed supporting you and throwing in a comment myself now & then.  However, as we both know, this is so annoying and frustrating as the stupidity of nearly all this spam adds ZERO to our site.  In fact, I always wonder what the general public may think when they come across some of this garbage.
    Dean ~ I do know that advice from HP is to completely ignore trolls and never interact with them despite the temptation to do so.  They claim this encourages them which I guess, in a way, it does.  Trolls will often decide to take their nonsense to the comment section of our hubs and that's when I really become angry as all hell.  We're strongly advised to immediately & repeatedly delete any & all comments they make until they realize they are not welcome and their garbage is not wanted.
    I DO delete them and as a result, they have stopped attempting to comment on my site.  There are far too many writers here who do not delete trolls and their spam or their outrageous insults & ignorance. 
    I don't know why they will allow the trash to collect on their sites, but perhaps they enjoy the fact that the trolls are merely exposing their nonsense.  That's not a good idea.
    The best route is to follow the advice of HP and ignore, Report/Flag  and then delete.
      C.L.Grant~  many are automated but even more have been placed by humans....the really stupid, nonsensical questions (some do not even ASK a question, just post words!)  are placed by many people who cannot even speak English or form a sentence and ask idiotic things like : "What about my brother's hair?"  LOL  LOL!  I mean, it gets bizarre!  All U need to do is go to Q&A, click on "Latest" and read as you scroll!  You will be stunned!

1. Marketing Merit profile image96
      Marketing Meritposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Hi Paula. Some are human but even a lot of the nonsensical questions have been posted by bots. The remainder by teenagers sitting far away in internet cafes. Typical signs are poster has no hubs and posts question within seconds/minutes of joining.

Closed to reply

working