Comment Trollers have reached PoeticPhilosophy!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (59 posts)
  1. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

Doesn't bother me one bit. I laughed and see the patheticness in these people so much now but decided I wanted to post about it and see if this has happened to anyone else. On one of my poems here is what someone wrote,

"I am concerned about the image you selected, a silhouette of a woman clutching her breast and crotch. Has she been assaulted? Is this poem a metaphor for sexual assault?"

Now here's another troll comment.

"I'm confused about the part where you invite someone to your lair to stare. What are you staring at? Also, can you please explain the part about the seeds and the bout? I'm not sure, but I think it represent two people fighting over gardening."

Hahaha. These types of people get a kick out of angering people wanting you to engage into a argument. Or some other form that I don't like thinking of but anyways have any of these happened to any of my other fellow hubbers?

1. Free Gamers profile image64
      Free Gamersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Go to 'my account' - then 'comments' on the left hand side. Then you'll see 'Global Comment Capsule Settings'. Click on 'show settings' and then check yes on 'Comments must be approved before they appear'.

Doing that will annoy trolls more than their comment might annoy you or anyone else who happens to read it before you have chance to delete it.

See, their comments will never be seen on your article for them to feel good about when they come back to check for a response. They can then get on with licking trees or whatever they do after being rejected, and will never return to your hubs again.

PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha yeah thanks. I already have the setting where it must go through approval, I want to see if this happens to anyone else though. Thanks for the awesome reply and let's continue to reject them.

2. enzo7 profile image60
        enzo7posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice tip, Free Gamers. wink

2. cfin profile image65
      cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are these trolls of just really silly people?

3. forbcrin profile image60
      forbcrinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I don't understand you. If you are not able to stand by your creation, why is it necessary to throw mud on those who may not like what you are writing? 
      I never read any of your works, and I will not even make an attempt. Poetry is something I don't understand, as long as it gets out of the metric format.

However, if you have the courage to publish your work, you should have the courage and in a way the decency to stop name calling when you run into somebody who has issues with your work.

The idea of filtering the posting is even worse. We think that we live in a free expression society. Trying to silence those who may not agree with you is what we called censure and we thought it was typical for totalitarian societies...

But I am a firm believer in freedom of expression even when exercising it means being an asshole...

Clearly you misunderstood the subject. This was a "troll" comment. I use to be a hardcore gamer haha, I know a troll when I see it. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I'm saying you misunderstood it because at the top I say It doesn't bother me at all... Clearly this thread was to ask if it happened to anyone else. And baby, I stand by my work! Poetry is individual thoughts and that's why it might be hard for another reader to understand. It even says that on the poetry topic of hubpages.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image76
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had one recently but not to that extreme.  It was the only one I had ever received.

Hmm.. Well now I know it's not just me. Hope you ignored them haha.

5. Tuatha profile image71
      Tuathaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I may not have had direct hub experience with 'Trolls' but I do recall troll like behaviors. Happens all the time. Usually you know when the comment is truly related to the item they are commenting on. I have my filters set so that if I get one, I don't allow them any credence. Hence no bother and the move along. It is not too difficult to tell the difference between sincere critique and simple foolishness. I don't know too many of us who have time for the latter. Interesting thread here Poetic. It appears quiet easy to fan flames with a simple question. Good Luck!

1. Tuatha profile image71
        Tuathaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did I say I detest spell check? Just Sayin!

2. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78

smile

6. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me the ones who commented on the Hub are dim. Or trolls. Either way, wastes of flesh and time.

7. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

*Shrugs*

Those are actually the types of questions that judges at poetry competitions as well as editors for poetry rags would ask. And those would be the poems that were being seriously considered, those poems that were dismissed out of hand would get comments or a rejection letter that would likely make you cry if this is bothering you so much.  Spoken word competition judges are actually rougher than that.

Unless you enter the vanity contests or self-publish everything, you are going to get professional criticism... and it's not going to be nice. It appears that even self-publishing on an open platform will get you comments you don't like.

If you were imagining a life of "Oh you're so talented!" as a poet, then I suggest you only show your work to your family and friends. As far as comments, you can turn them off if you like... but then you won't get the inane "Great poem... you're just peachy" that you seem to think every comment should be.

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

How do you know they weren't sincere comments asking you to explain confusing imagery in your poetry?

Oh =O, are you proceeding the trend? Your not meant to explain poetry. It's quite simple actually and has little imagery, clearly your a fan of this topic.

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they are new to reading poetry? Perhaps the other side of their brain is more dominant like the rest of us boring people and they need a bit of help understanding? I wouldn't jump to conclusions about their intention.  If they were truly trolling you they would be saying something truly offensive or goading you and I don't see that in these comments you shared. Sorry. smile

Perhaps I need to go view them in context, maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I just don't see the malicious intent I guess.

lol oh.... I see it pretty easy.

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Mmmm... tree licking.

1. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Me too...she lives next door...Linda Tree...mmmm...

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No comment.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

Trolls need to get a life. They spend their days going from hub to hub doing things like this and worse.  There is one here, on one hub alone, that has made 25 stupid comments, goading others etc.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It sounds like an honest question to me.  Why are you so angry at someone who is engaging with your work and trying to understand it better?

6. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

Generally I don't like trolls. But there is a fine line here. Troll is used as a term when someone trys hard to incite and argument to draw attention to themselves. In some regards a post like this that you made regarding trolls may in fact be trolling or even flaming. Personal opinion and flaming or trolling are two entirely different things. Though I think the first comment you put may be trolling the secound is not. Poetry and creative writing always, always, always invokes discussion. And is only correctly done when it does cause discussion. The best defense is to read and respond to the comments you see as discussion. Simply deny the ones that you feel troll.

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Have you considered that maybe you are the one misinterpreting the comment?

8. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

People who think this isn't trolling may think this because I made it sound like it was 2 different people.. Sorry for not making it clear, this was the same person who posted both those comments around the same time. So it was one individual who had done this. Hope that clears this up now haha.

1. profile image0

Hey, if it's a woman, you could totally get her though.

Totally, unfortunately it was a man.

1. profile image0

Bummer.
          Dude, I found this hub on dealing with trolls. I hope it helps.
          http://poeticphilosophy.hubpages.com/hu … Troll-Poem

Yeah it helps eh! I took that advice wisely smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Uh...Beth, It's his own poem, so he has probably seen it.

+1 ^

2. profile image0

I didn't read it myself, but the title indicated that it could be very helpful to someone in his position.

-1 ^

1. profile image0

You don't actually have to use the upwards arrow when you import the actual quote into your reply... just sayin'.

^^ -2

9. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

Considering that several of us found the comments non-trollish, maybe you are too quick to cry "troll"  just because someone doesn't understand something in your writing.  Who better to ask than the author? I think you should have left the comments and answered the questions. Now I'm curious, what are you staring at in the lair?

http://poeticphilosophy.hubpages.com/hub/Come-Join-Love

It's ok calculus I don't have time for nonsense. This will be the last reply you get from me.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay. Be well.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You don't have time to explain why your are sure the comment is malicious either, apparently.

1. profile image0
          epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

me thinks that this was a clever way to get traffic to that poem. HInt hint.

10. profile image0

in the words of the great viral sweet brown, Aint nobody got time for that!.

Your thoughts are wrong.

1. profile image0

pass

2. profile image0

haha, i love that. he went straight to the core.

1. profile image0

im also working on a zombi attack for you beth. LOL

1. profile image0

Ok, but, no pics.

11. profile image0

You know what poetic. I read your poems. There beautiful and inspiring. And the main theme is getting over difficulty. But thats not what Im seeing when you say things like this is the last comment im making. You have fans. More than some of us do. And as anyone with fans, you have a responsibility to them. If someone follows you, the asks a question about your poem. Answer it with grace. Tell them its a mystery or its personal. Or answer it. Coming here and saying troll. Makes people think your angry. There is nothing wrong with an angry poet. Im an artist and im stereotypical weird. Poets are to be emotional. So no one can fault you. But if your upset over a comment. Deal with it with grace. Not bitter resentment. And while you may not be bitter. This whole thread is what a bitter person would have done.

I have a tear in my eye. But no I know your trying to help but.. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all but all your thoughts are, is what YOUR projection of me is. When it is very wrong.. I'm not angry at all my man I'm just saying, this is clearly a troll comment if you see otherwise ok... I'm not partaking in a knowing argumentation that this troll is gonna feed upon. If I have a responsibility to "fans" it's to help them for the better, if they seek advice I answer them, that's a true fan. A fan isn't a basher. But anyways, I'm going no further. Thanks for having a heart about it.

1. profile image0

I do have to say one thing. I hate trolls. Its one of my biggest pet peives on line. As much as I do. I cant say that you were wrong either. You came here sought advice. And like all advice got some that didnot digest well. And some that was helpfull. I hope you got what you sought out of this. And I pray that the troll, figures out that they are not welcome. I followed you, and look forward to what you produce next.

Thank you smile

12. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fingers-in-ears.jpg

1. profile image0

lol

2. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78

+1 ^

13. Thomas Swan profile image98
    Thomas Swanposted 10 years ago

The best way to annoy a troll is to reply with 4 words: "Thanks for commenting <insert name>".

Some people try very hard to start an argument with me. They throw out accusations of bias, not doing any research, being stupid, having no knowledge of the subject... the list goes on.

I used to defend my work against these people. Then I realized they're only there to bait you into an argument. They're keyboard warriors who just sit there waiting for you to reply, and when you do, they start getting more and more personal, saying things like "people like you..." or using your name: "Tom would do this and get shot" or something equally stupid.

They'll make condescending remarks like "what you need to learn from life is..." to wind you up even more. Then they'll accuse you of attacking them for "merely disagreeing" with you, as if you're to blame. A troll will always try to reverse the roles to make themselves the victim. Then they'll visit your profile and make a snide comment about that. Eventually, you might get an entire hub written about you which you have to report to hubpages as a personal attack, but they'll still have the temerity to send you a personal message claiming you're to blame. Always the victim!

And what has this taught me? It's taught me not to waste my time on trolls. They want an argument, so don't give it to them. Don't feed the trolls. Don't supply a narcissist. They're one of the same. Just give them that excited feeling when the notification pops up that you've replied, and the utter disappointment that all you've done is thank them for their angry, obsessive, 500-word diatribe. It looks like you haven't even read it, and that is priceless. Don't let defending your ego get in the way of that moment.

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You nailed it, Thomas Swan. I just dealt with a troll on another site, plus I periodically deal with a real-life form of a troll, and they do all those things you mentioned. Their mode of operation is manipulation and they issue veiled insults while present themselves as innocent. It's called Gaslighting. They'll imply that you're dumb or incompetent and then puff themselves up by bragging or just being condescending, obviously trying to elicit a comparative response; like look at how much better they are than you, kind of thing; then when you call them on it, they point the finger at you for being too sensitive or abusive.

14. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

For what ever reason, when it comes to trolls, I have always had a bullseye square on my forehead. They pursued and maligned and attacked like nothing I'd ever seen. I wont bore you with the details, but it was quite overwhelming. After a while I learned their game and I learned that for me personally the only way to deal with them was humor. The meaner they got, the more jokes I made. It seemed to befuddle them. It began to be fun. Now I enjoy trolls for the most part.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)