jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How do you promote your articles if the topic isn't searched extensively?

1. Jeremy Gill profile image95
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 months ago

How do you promote your articles if the topic isn't searched extensively?

A find my articles on well-known subjects (like Pokemon and Star Wars) tend to see traffic easily, but other works of mine (example below) see little despite what I consider interesting writing. How do you get the word out about your obscure articles? Do you research the topics beforehand and veto them if they're too obscure? Do you promote on social media? Do you not do any of this and just hope it works out?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

https://reelrundown.com/movies/Top-Prot … The-Sequel

2. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 6 months ago

follow the Facebook of those who are pokemon and star wars followers. Join in gamer forums and share your hub links at social medias

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 months ago

As Peachy shares if Google is not giving satisfactory results then marketing on social media is the alternative. BTW . . . there is as much science to social media as there is with SEO. It is more central to marketing. With social media one thing to remember is it appears on a feed, so is time sensitive. That is when the science enters. And, with followers you have to consider etiquette.

I always post my articles to Facebook when new. Today, I write mainly poetry when I do write. So, when I check the My Traffic Sources page I see I get a small boost. I may post another poem in about six months so not to seem spammy. I get a boost from that. But, I really do not have a large follower base and do not use the site's marketing tools for the public feed.

Jeremy Gillposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Thanks Tim. Until now I've refrained from promoting my writing on social media so as not to appear spammy, but like you say, in moderation it may not come across that way.

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Social marketing does work. And, social signals are considered by search engines for ranking. For instance Bing places a higher value on it than does Google. I do know they have tools to market with at Facebook at a cost for exposure. Thus, a science

4. Stella Kaye profile image89
    Stella Kayeposted 6 months ago

You can follow the suggestions that the other writers commenting on this thread have suggested about social media but I find you have to keep on doing it for your articles to get a consistent flow of page views. You also have to keep the information contained in your articles bang up to date. Even after doing all this and more, it's disheartening when you see some of your best articles not really doing very much most of the time. It's an ongoing battle to market them effectively- which means you don't have sufficient time to devote to writing new material!  I really don't know how anyone can make any money out of it - I've earned $1.53 so far this month!

Thanks for your thoughts, Stella. I see some very successful Hubbers with topics (like knitting techniques or such) that are pretty obscure and I wonder how they accrue their views.

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image100
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 months ago

Maybe Reddit? Places where people are poking around for niche topics smile

Not a bad idea. Thank you!

working