What Sites Do Hubbers Use To Promote Their Articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Rock_nj profile image88
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

Just wondering what sites Hubbers use to promote their articles?  I have seen a lot of changes over the years with some sites no longer allowing links in forums or comments, and some article sharing sites just going away.  I primarily use Facebook and Twitter these days to share my articles.  How about everyone else?  What is working for you?

1. greenmind profile image96
      greenmindposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Pinterest mainly. But in my experience, your time is better spent going over your articles to improve their keyword optimization (I use ninja check). I pay attention to my stats for each article and try to revise them every few months, even if it's just a few grammar improvements. Article sharing sites come and go -- for me a combination of editing, optimization, and above all TIME (years, not days) is what puts cash in bank.

1. Msmillar profile image90
        Msmillarposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree! I can have a hub not doing so well (but I thought was awesome when I wrote it!) and go back to find errors with spelling or sentence structure, etc. When I fix those items, many times my hub will become featured. When your hub is featured, they will come!

2. robhampton profile image93
      robhamptonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've read this thread and am surprised that nobody has mentioned Quora. I get a LOT of traffic from there. I simply just answer questions and leave a link to my HP profile page. I'm listed on Quora as a "swimming pool service professional", and so questions are thrown at me all the time. Short, simple answers, with a link to my HP profile equals plenty of traffic. I get traffic from pinterest, FB, and other sites, but Quora works pretty good.

Rock_njposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info about Quora Rob.  I've come across Quora a few times when searching for answers online.  It sounds very effective for getting traffic to articles.  It certainly helps to expand on an answer with a reference to a more detailed source of information.  Do you have to pay to use the site?

1. robhampton profile image93
          robhamptonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ya Quora is completely free. Interesting site too. Read a lot of strange things on there lol.

1. GerryRigley profile image65
            GerryRigleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I read QUORA every day and as you mentioned it is a very interesting site, in fact I have posted two replies this afternoon, one was the history of the Mormon cult and I am expecting to get some death threats from that one, but hopefully they will overlook my words and try to live with some simple truths.

2. EricFarmer8x profile image96
        EricFarmer8xposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I made an Quora account. I need to start using it more often though. Thanks for the advice.

2. Erudite Scholar profile image59
    Erudite Scholarposted 5 years ago

I have been using Reddit,Mix, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter for promoting my articles. I think social bookmarking has reduced significantly in its importance. Millions of people have left the sites. The sites have in turn adapted by flooding news feeds with irrelevant ad, news and other fluff. Users are turned off by these and many do not even bother with genuine content anymore.

LinkedIn, Twitter and Pinterest are working for me.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I don't, for the most part.  Very occasionally I will post a link on FB, but it's more a matter of giving information than to promote the hub, and I don't expect any traffic gains when I do.

I do use Pinterest for new hubs, though, and it has been effective in providing long lasting traffic.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

I do social media groups. Facebook has hundreds of groups which are perfect for the subjects I'm currently focused on. I published a thing yesterday, and so, today I shall write an intro or header for the post, and then add the link, and share it in probably more than 50 Facebook groups. That's almost all the promotion I do.

5. dougwest1 profile image96
    dougwest1posted 5 years ago

I use Twitter, Blogger, Pinterest, and Youtube to promote my Hubs. I can't figure out which one provides the most readers.

6. Lovelli Fuad profile image93
    Lovelli Fuadposted 5 years ago

The regular ones are general social media sites: Pinterest, Mix (kind of like Pinterest), Flipboard, Twitter (occasionally), Facebook groups, and LinkedIn. I recently started sharing on Saidit, a new social media forum that reminded me of Reddit, but more a lot more civil and inspiring. And then I also share on more niche content marketing sites too, like Growth Hackers, Indie Hackers, etc. I sometimes visit Maven to read stories, but I haven't shared anything  there yet.

7. Rock_nj profile image88
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

Thanks for your replies, everyone.  I also pin all the images in my articles on Pinterest, and it appears to be a good way to drive traffic to my articles.  I never thought of using Facebook groups.  Will check that out.  I have posted on Reddit, but have found it to be kind of cumbersome to use.  I will check out some of the other sites mentioned.

8. Natalie Frank profile image93
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I use Saidit, Reddit (occasionally), Pinterest, Mix, FB and Twitter both sometimes but haven't seen any real traffic from the last two. 

You can't share anything on Maven.  It's independent websites listed as channels not an open platform like this one.  You can only publish there if invited to move your website there.

9. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 5 years ago

Pinterest. I've spent the last 6 months learning Pinterest marketing and you can get many thousands of visitors a day from there IF you're writing on topics that Pinterest users love.

The main ones that do well there are:

Recipes
    Parenting
    Pregnancy
    Mom stuff
    Women's Health
    Relationships
    Self development
    Making money blogging
    Crafts
    Dieting
    Keto/Paleo
    Exercise
    Minimalism
    Home Decor
    DIY
    Frugality
    Home Organization
    Photography
    Travel

I'm happy to help anyone who'd like to increase their traffic.

Thanks Susana for sharing your insight into what works on Pinterest.

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm planning a hub to explain step by step exactly what to do.

It can be a little overwhelming to begin with but the more time you spend there the more it makes sense.

I look forward to reading your Hub.

2. jo miller profile image91
          jo millerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm looking forward to this hub.

3. Corinne Heymann profile image69
          Corinne Heymannposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Looking forward to this, as well!

2. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Susanna - and gardening!  I get a lot of traffic from Pinterest for my gardening hubs.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
        DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

There are a lot of dog communities on there too. The Pinterest traffic really helped me keep going that first year when Google was not sending much traffic.

10. Dean Traylor profile image93
    Dean Traylorposted 5 years ago

In the past ---and on other writing sites -- I used a combination of programs to promote my articles. These days, I use Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter. Every so often, I will retweet my articles and that helps a bit.
    In the past, I used Twitter-feeding programs such as Tweetadder, SocialOomph, and Hootsuite. They worked for a short time, but Twitter and its users soured on them because these programs acted in the same fashions as bots do by posting tweets containing my articles on a daily basis (in fact, some Twitter users complained to management that I was posting bots).
    Other programs I've used are Stumbleupon ,Delicious and Flipboard.T hey were webpage sharing sites that only worked well for a short time. With the exception of Flipboard, many of these programs worked well with articles on other writing sites, but not so much  Hubs.

Thanks Dean.  As part of my publishing process, I shared all of my Hubs on Stumbleupon.  It was good for picking up about10 views the day I shared them but didn't seem to generate much traffic after the initial day.  It's gone now.  Taken over by another site.

2. Rock_nj profile image88

StumbleUpon was taken over by Mix. I see that Mix also has a way of sharing articles.  Flipboard is an interesting one.  I had one article link go viral on that site when someone put one of my article links in their magazine.  Is there any way to encourage that on Flipboard?  It happened only once and drove a lot of traffic my way.

11. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 5 years ago

Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.  Occasionally Reddit and a Quilting board.  I just make sure what I’m sharing fits the site/board/group that I’m sharing too. For what I write, Pinterest has given me the most success.

12. EricFarmer8x profile image96
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

I do not promote my articles much. Most of my traffic comes from Google Search anyway. I sometimes post about my articles to my Twitter followers, but that is about it.

Thanks Eric.  Most of my traffic also comes from Google.  I like to spend some of my free time trying to get articles noticed.  Occasionally, I hit a jackpot and get some serious traffic.  This time last year I posted a link about a Cryptocurrency topic to Twitter with hashtags associated with cryptocurrencies.  It wound up getting retweeted several times by people with a lot of followers, and I wound up having my two biggest days on HubPages.  Thousands of views per day.  It was a good feeling.  But for every success like that, there are a lot of futile efforts, so I try to limit spending time promoting and focus my free time on writing new articles or reviewing existing ones.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)