jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Anyone heard of Vocal.Media? Anyone see their ads on Facebook?

1. marcuscaine profile image95
    marcuscaineposted 2 months ago

I was on Facebook the other day and I kept seeing ads for Vocal.Media. Has anyone heard of it? What are your thoughts? would you write for them?

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 2 months agoin reply to this

Looks interesting. Don't know if I have time to write for another site right now but that would be one I would try. They pay per impression also, like HP, which is a good thing.

1. chasmac profile image97
        chasmacposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Actually they don't pay per impression like HP. Check out section 15 of their Terms of Use. Even the first sentence is discouraging.
        "You may be paid for user engagement with certain User Content that you submit to the Site."
        That's "MAY" be paid, not "WILL" be paid, and for "CERTAIN" (not ALL) User Content. They state that they pay according to a variety of factors including number of visitors, user engagement, social media shares and time spent on page.

2. marcuscaine profile image95
      marcuscaineposted 2 months agoin reply to this

According to what I read on Reddit and some of the articles I skimmed through, it seems like they make their money through affiliate links. I did not see any ads on any of the Vocal Media articles I had skimmed through.

They are owned by Jerrick Media, which is publically traded. Also, readers can donate money to the authors, but there is a 7% fee, I am guessing that is paid by the reader(I hope smile) .

I also get the impression that only clickbait thrives there, not well thought out articles.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image99
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 2 months ago

I have seen them and think that with a platform similar to HP they seem promising smile Their niche sites seem to differ from the ones here so it wouldn't be a bad way to spread things out.

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image99

I just signed up, I'm going to try it out. Always loyal to HP but one of my goals this year is expanding my content and passive income opportunities.

4. theraggededge profile image99
    theraggededgeposted 2 months ago

"By transmitting User Content on or through the Services, you grant the Company a nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid, assignable, transferable, sublicensable license to use, reproduce, store, modify, edit (e.g., fixing typos, making editorial changes), truncate, aggregate, display, perform, distribute, prepare derivative works based on, and transmit such User Content, in any medium that now exists or may arise in the future, and otherwise exploit your User Content (including, but not limited to, use of your name in association with your User Content to identify you as the “Creator”) in connection with the Services and the Company’s (and our successors’ and assigns’) businesses, including after your termination of your account or the Services, and you waive any and all moral rights and publicity rights in such User Content."

I suppose this is normal nowadays?

1. viryabo profile image87
      viryaboposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Gosh!

1. theraggededge profile image99
        theraggededgeposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Maven's is almost the same.

2. RonElFran profile image100
      RonElFranposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I was just about to post this when I saw you already had. For me it's a deal-breaker. You lose control over anything you post. You can't even directly edit it - you have to tell them the changes you want, and they do the editing. So you can't remove content once it's posted, even if you close your account, and can only change what they allow you to.

I understand that Maven's terms of use are similar. I fervently hope that when HubPages is folded into Maven, the present HP terms of use, which don't claim perpetual rights over our work, are retained.

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image99

Well forget it then. I don't like the idea of affiliate links being the sole source of income and I definitely don't like giving up my rights. Neeeext.

working