Anyone heard of Vocal.Media? Anyone see their ads on Facebook?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    marcuscaineposted 6 years ago

I was on Facebook the other day and I kept seeing ads for Vocal.Media. Has anyone heard of it? What are your thoughts? would you write for them?

1. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Looks interesting. Don't know if I have time to write for another site right now but that would be one I would try. They pay per impression also, like HP, which is a good thing.

1. chasmac profile image89
        chasmacposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Actually they don't pay per impression like HP. Check out section 15 of their Terms of Use. Even the first sentence is discouraging.
        "You may be paid for user engagement with certain User Content that you submit to the Site."
        That's "MAY" be paid, not "WILL" be paid, and for "CERTAIN" (not ALL) User Content. They state that they pay according to a variety of factors including number of visitors, user engagement, social media shares and time spent on page.

2. profile image0
      marcuscaineposted 6 years agoin reply to this

According to what I read on Reddit and some of the articles I skimmed through, it seems like they make their money through affiliate links. I did not see any ads on any of the Vocal Media articles I had skimmed through.

They are owned by Jerrick Media, which is publically traded. Also, readers can donate money to the authors, but there is a 7% fee, I am guessing that is paid by the reader(I hope smile) .

I also get the impression that only clickbait thrives there, not well thought out articles.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

I have seen them and think that with a platform similar to HP they seem promising smile Their niche sites seem to differ from the ones here so it wouldn't be a bad way to spread things out.

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94

I just signed up, I'm going to try it out. Always loyal to HP but one of my goals this year is expanding my content and passive income opportunities.

4. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

"By transmitting User Content on or through the Services, you grant the Company a nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid, assignable, transferable, sublicensable license to use, reproduce, store, modify, edit (e.g., fixing typos, making editorial changes), truncate, aggregate, display, perform, distribute, prepare derivative works based on, and transmit such User Content, in any medium that now exists or may arise in the future, and otherwise exploit your User Content (including, but not limited to, use of your name in association with your User Content to identify you as the “Creator”) in connection with the Services and the Company’s (and our successors’ and assigns’) businesses, including after your termination of your account or the Services, and you waive any and all moral rights and publicity rights in such User Content."

I suppose this is normal nowadays?

1. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Gosh!

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Maven's is almost the same.

2. RonElFran profile image97
      RonElFranposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I was just about to post this when I saw you already had. For me it's a deal-breaker. You lose control over anything you post. You can't even directly edit it - you have to tell them the changes you want, and they do the editing. So you can't remove content once it's posted, even if you close your account, and can only change what they allow you to.

I understand that Maven's terms of use are similar. I fervently hope that when HubPages is folded into Maven, the present HP terms of use, which don't claim perpetual rights over our work, are retained.

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94

Well forget it then. I don't like the idea of affiliate links being the sole source of income and I definitely don't like giving up my rights. Neeeext.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)