jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

em dash

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image98
    letstalkabouteducposted 2 months ago

How do I make an em dash on Hubpages? For the longest time, I was successful doing Alt+0151 but now that results in a smiley face! Thanks for your help.

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I just do double dashes and let the editors take care of it smile My WP processor (Scrivener) does them but they don't appear in the capsules correctly.

2. Margaret Schindel profile image98
      Margaret Schindelposted 2 months agoin reply to this

On my Windows laptop, when I am in a text capsule, I just click on the “insert special character” button on the formatting ribbon at the top of the capsule (just above the entry field). It’s the fifth button from the right on the formatting ribbon. The button label is the Greek character Omega, which looks like an upside-down U with serifs. Unfortunately, the formatting ribbon has fewer options on mobile devices, and the insert special character button is not available in the mobile view. Hope that helps!

2. Glenn Stok profile image100
    Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago

If you have an iPad or iPhone, typing two dashes becomes the em dash — .

This also works on the iMac but only in notepad.

In MS Word, you have to insert an advanced symbol. But I discovered this is not the same em dash and it sometimes translates to an unknown character on other platforms.

You can always just copy and paste from a known em dash, like this one —

3. Sustainable Sue profile image98
    Sustainable Sueposted 2 months ago

On my keyboard I do an ALT–double dash.

working