jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Company of animals vs people

1. Jessie L Watson profile image95
    Jessie L Watsonposted 2 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13908889_f1024.jpg
    Strangely enough, as I've made an effort to develop my character and notice the silver linings in humanity, I still find myself growing more introverted. I abstain from most social media platforms. I derive more joy from spending time with my wife and pets than I do going out and being part of the normal BS theatrics that characterizes "going out". Part of the process of personal development is knowing how full of sh** one is. Once I came to know how full of sh** I am, I can't help but see and hear it in others. My interactions with strangers are placid compared to a random encounter with a neighborhood cat. Animals, by far, are the most authentic beings. I feel like I can relate to them more. They also teach me how to be more delicate in my approach and enjoy the fleeting moments in life.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 months agoin reply to this

There are people who love animals because animals seem to be more accepting & loving than humans.  They feel that animals are kind souls while people are not.  They furthermore opine that animals possess a spirit that humans don't & won't ever possess.  They believe that animals are more nobler than humans. They assert that humans are more capricious in their character.  They see humans as the demons of society & seek to have as little interact w/humans as possible.

Then there are people who simply love people.  They see people as the elixir of life.  They maintain that it is necessary to be w/people as that is the only way to learn & grow.  They don't understand how people don't see this concept. They feel that humans have a commonality.  They see animals as second tier & not as important as humans.  To them, humans are the most important ones who will help, comfort, & elevate one's well-being.  Animals, in their purview, simply can't do these things.

Then there are people who simply like THEIR OWN company.  They really don't like to be around people nor animals.  They like being solitary. They find peace in their solitude.  They believe that being alone is less stressful than being around other humans or animals.  They just like to be free of headaches, dramas, & other intricacies involving the human & animal world.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image95
        Jessie L Watsonposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Can't argue with that. But nothing is fixed. I used to be heavily dependent on interacting with people on a regular basis. I just thought this was an interesting side effect of adopting a new outlook. One more akin to a "stop and smell the roses" philosophy. I've suddenly become disenchanted with the buzzing chatter of the hive mind. It's been good. And through these experiences, I paradoxically find myself more patient and understanding of individuals (even if I try to limit my exposure to them most of the time haha).

Thanks for sharing.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image98
    UnnamedHaraldposted 2 months ago

I also have come to think of animals in a new light. My cats are my children-- they are selfish, loving and honest. I shudder to think what I would do if someone tried to hurt or kill them. I used to think that people who felt the same way I do now were a bit weird, but I don't mind being a bit weird anymore. A purring cat in your lap is a tonic. I admit to being a hypocrite in that I eat meat (though less than before), but I'm only human and far from perfect.

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 2 months ago

When I was living in California, I had a cat. In essence, Mikey owned me. For example, when I was doing lesson plans or grading papers, he would sit in front of me and wait for my slightest move to get up off of the floor. When I would move, he would immediately run into the kitchen and sit in front of his bowl and plate because he wanted food. When I would come home from Safeway, he would poke his head into each grocery bag and smell everything. Since I generally bought a sandwich at the Safeway deli, he would always want his share. I remember the time that my parents came into SF to spend a long weekend. He was jealous that I was spending time with them and did all kinds of mischief in my condo.

working