HP Members I would welcome your critiqing so I can improve my writing.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 6 years ago

But the times I have offered my articles only once did a few HP members offer feedback. HP members appear not to read what I write as there are very few comments/views. So why encourage a section for discussion about "writing". I rarely do "sellable how to" articles and thats because it largely ends up being a regurgitation of what's on the net except with a few points taken form your point of view/experience.Nothing in a sense completely new, if you know what I mean?
    The forum in the writer's way doesnt work that way for me and I still dont know why. Does that make sense to you?

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Threekeys,

I believe a lot of people see requests for others to "critique" their hubs as nothing more than a ploy to generate more views. You  often see this especially with (new people) on HP. 

Another tactic (new people) use on HP is they'll "follow" a hundred people {within a couple of minutes} in hopes that others will follow them in kind.

I believe there are less people using HP than there were 5-7 years ago.
      You could probably click on many of your "followers" and then click on "activity" and see they haven't posted any hubs or comments recently. Less people means less opportunity to have comments posted on hubs.
      Personally I receive less "notification emails" about hubs written under categories I follow compared to years gone by. I have to proactively look under explore Feed or Articles and choose categories to find the latest.
      In fact I no longer get emails regarding "new followers" unless they leave me fan mail. Less email notifications leads to "out of sight, out of mind".

For those who do not have a profile on HP they can't comment unless they create a profile. Therefore if your hub is read by someone who was simply doing a Google search odds are they're not going to create a profile just so they can leave a comment on your hub.
      Payments thankfully are based on clicks/views and not comments.

So called "How to" articles are very popular as people want to improve and learn about various ways to do things. Another popular set of articles are those that deal with current events and the political climate. People who agree or disagree passionately with what you've written will usually comment. One needs a great article title and photo to grab attention.

For those who join HP to earn money it's important they promote their hub links on their social media sites and in various LinkedIn groups....etc
      No one should simply rely on the HP community for their readership.

The old Q&A and forum sections appeal to people because it's a way of sharing their opinion on a variety of topics within the community. Almost everyone has their "favorite topic" to chime in on.

2. Titia profile image91
    Titiaposted 6 years ago

If you really want to improve your writing, then don't invite other writers to visit your profile, but give us a link to one of your hubs and put it in the right forum topic. What you do now, inviting us to visit your profile and go through your hubs is self  promoting and that is not allowed on HP.

1. profile image0
      threekeysposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Please do NOT reply to my posts. To me you are a troublemaker and I dont need or want you in my life Titia.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image66
        Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Don't sweat it, threekeys. According to the HP Gestapo, no one does anything correctly here. Nothing is ever satisfactory. Everything is always in a state of collapse.

Although you might hear something from an HP official if you step out of line, there is truth to that. Better watch out wink

2. Titia profile image91
        Titiaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Troublemaker? I thought I was being very friendly to warn you that in the way you wrote your text you overstepped an important HP rule. Self promoting is not permitted on HP, but you are allowed to show a link to a hub if you want help to make it better.  There's a special forum topic for that.

Someone else could've hit the 'flag' button right away without any warning and then you would be in trouble. I don't do that.

3. OldRoses profile image93
        OldRosesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your personal attack on Titia is not allowed on HP and has been reported.

4. vineliner57 profile image90
        vineliner57posted 6 years agoin reply to this

How rude! Titia is one of the nice people around here.

3. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 6 years ago

How the heck did this turn into a big fight? hmm

@threekeys: Is there something specific about your writing you feel you need help with? I read your recent tarot card reading about the Trump meeting with N. Korea. I don't understand a lot about the tarot stuff but I thought it was interesting. Your write well and aside from maybe a little sprucing up of the formatting the article seemed pretty good to me.

If you want feedback it's a good idea to ask more pointed questions. Do you want more people to read your articles? (More traffic.) Do you want to make it to the niche sites?

Or, post a specific article if you just want a general critique. People will help. At least I hope they will after everything that has gone on here over the past few days. I will, anyway. smile

1. profile image0
      threekeysposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eric
      While I am led to believe that poetry/creative writing etc is not strongly favoured here at HP, with what I do write , I would like to know how to improve  my style to increase traffic?
      I know I write about what interests me. I dont want to become a production line writer. That would make me unhappy.
      What are your thoughts Eric?
      PS I just looked at your profile. So many things you have done with your life!

1. EricDockett profile image97
        EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't write poetry. I used to write fiction but don't have much time for it anymore. As you can see from my profile, I mostly write articles to help people do things or learn about things. My traffic comes from using basic SEO to rank well in search engines, and - you're right -  that's tough to do with poetry and creative writing.

I think some people make the mistake of thinking that writing how-to articles is devoid of passion, or that using SEO means you are becoming a "production line writer". While that was possibly true years ago, search engines have gotten wise to thin content. People who do well today need to understand what they are writing about, and in most cases that means they have to care about it. I have three accounts, and on every one of them I write about things I care about, and on every one of them I get lots of traffic.

Your passion is poetry and creative writing. If I said, "Hey, I would like to write poetry but I don't know where to start," what would you tell me? I'm sure you could easily write several articles on how to write poetry. If I know nothing about it and want to try it I'd have a lot of questions. What types of poetry are easiest for beginners to start with? How do I choose themes? How can I get better at writing poetry? Where can I publish my poetry once I've written a bunch of it? How do I deal with writers block? How can I schedule my writing time to be the most productive?

We were talking about using the ubersuggest keyword tool in another thread. It's free. Start plugging in ideas and see what people are searching for. Find out what they want to know about poetry and creative writing. If you can answer a question, write an article on it.

Learn some basic SEO. How to structure a title. How to write a meta description. How to use headers.  How many words should you write? (We were talking about that too . . . that's why these forums are important.) How should you use links? Basic stuff is easy, and you can move up from there.

Pepper in your purely creative work with the education stuff. People who find you through your educational stuff will find your creative work as well. (People often say readers don't go to your profile, but in my experience that's not true.)

Start a Facebook page if you don't already have one. Not your personal account, but a page dedicated to you as a writer. Share your work. Submit your work to niche sites and plop the link on Facebook.

Before you know it you will be bringing in traffic, drawing readers to your creative work, and establishing yourself as a person who is knowledgeable about the things you care about. You will be writing about your passion, and helping other people learn about it. You'll be anything but an "assembly line writer".

I can't guarantee it will work, but if I were a creative writer who also wanted traffic that's what I'd do. Otherwise, it is pretty tough to bring search traffic to creative writing.

The only other way I can think of is to join writers groups and share stories, but I'd guess you've already been down that road.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You've been told what to do.  Pick a specific hub you want to improve and post it on the forums with a request for feedback.  Being a somewhat agreeable might help.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)