What's on my mind, HP? The worst monthly payment I've had in years.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. TeriSilver profile image96
    TeriSilverposted 4 months ago

I know, it's going down and down for everyone.  We have good writers, good editors, and the game plan is similuar but different, to keep up with the internet. But this month was very disappointing. I've been writing for HubPages for 13 years.  Amounts should hold steady or go up. Is our site in trouble?

1. Kenna McHugh profile image93
      Kenna McHughposted 4 months agoin reply to this

More and more established writers have brought this issue to the forum. It's not a good sign.

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 4 months agoin reply to this

According to Matt Wells, if I recall a comment of his some months ago correctly, HP is doing fine and is here for the long run. He seems to be the only staff member with any knowledge of HP income but I don't think it's in his remit to try and increase traffic and earnings? I'm not sure if he has access to the figures but I presume he has so he ought to know the issue needs addressing asap.

It'd be great to get some decent input from HP staff about the bigger picture, future structural plans and so on. We've been crying out for info for nigh on 2 years. But TAG has overall command as far as I can make out and they're just not interested in communicating with us, the writers.

Despite all the gloom, I've earned some extra cash from the new Ask an Expert feature this month. Three questions came my way within a week or so and I enjoyed the challenge of writing 'niche within niche' type articles. I wonder if any other writers have benefitted?

Great on benefiting from Ask an Expert. Even though Matt says HP is doing fine, it doesn't mean it's doing fine. Look, don't listen.

2. TheShadowSpecter profile image84
        TheShadowSpecterposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Until you mentioned the "Ask an Expert" feature, I was completely unaware of it.

1. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Me too.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
            PaulGoodman67posted 4 months agoin reply to this

They announced it a while back, think it was in the forums. I emailed and asked what the earnings situation was with Ask an Expert and never received a reply.

1. paolaenergya profile image92
              paolaenergyaposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I had added "find out about Ask an Expert" on my to-do list and then... oops I completely forgot about it!

2. Shesabutterfly profile image94
            Shesabutterflyposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Here is a link to the official announcement for anyone who is curious. However, most of the sites listed no longer have the "ask an expert" link on the home page. Dengarden, Delishably, PairedLife, Bellatory, AxleAddict, & Owlcation are the ones that still have a form on the main page to ask questions. Dengarden seemingly is the only one with questions answered, as they have an ask the expert link in the navigation bar and none of the other sites do.

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/35 … rt-feature

1. theraggededge profile image96
              theraggededgeposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Ah, okay. Most of mine are on Exemplore which would work really well with Ask an Expert, but there you go...

3. greenmind profile image94
      greenmindposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Not everyone – my earnings are down about 5% from last year, not a tragic amount, and most of that comes from a decline in CPM, which is not in HP's control.

I wonder if there are other writers like me, who are generally quiet on the forum but are doing okay in terms of income and traffic?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I see you have over ten million views, and much of your content is focused on educational essays on bugs and insects. So, you found a niche that works well. We can all learn from you, Fred. Your results give us hope.

1. greenmind profile image94
          greenmindposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Glenn for the kind words! I have tried many niches over the years, including guitars for kids, travel gadgets, diet tips, vintage candy, action movies, shoes, and pet safety. For whatever reason, the insect guides stuck. So I guess my best advice for anyone here is to be experimental and patient. It took many years of trying and failing before I started getting views and $$ that mattered.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
            Glenn Stokposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for the advice, Fred. However, the problem is that things have changed after Mavin/TAG took over. There is no way to know if their changes caused the issues. But in any case, it's not a matter of being patient with trying to find what works. Many of us had success writing on HubPages years ago, only to see a downward spiral.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
              Sue Adamsposted 4 months agoin reply to this

"the problem is that things have changed after Mavin/TAG took over."

The question we asked ages ago "Do we still get the 60% share we signed up for?" has never satisfactorily been answered.

Could our income decline have anything to do with the distribution of profits since the takeovers?

Meanwhile, the bosses don't seem to do so badly at all.

https://hubstatic.com/16824130.png
              Source 2023:
              https://www.idolnetworth.com/ross-levin … rth-278359

PS: I posted this photo a few weeks back on another thread. That post was mysteriously deleted. Hopefully you get to see this one.

4. SerenityHalo profile image95
      SerenityHaloposted 4 months agoin reply to this

For these kinds of posts, I always like to offer a hint of my own data to help people know what's happening on other accounts. It's hard to know if people are going through the same exact thing or something different... I think knowing more data helps in trying to find recovery for us all.

Anyway, for me this year has been pretty static. I've received roughly the same amount every month with little variance. November was actually the best month, but only by a small margin. The amount I've received overall this year has been significantly less compared to recent years. I'm making about 1/4 of what I did when I was at my peak.

I'm not too worried about the turn from December to January, which used to be a much more drastic fall for me. I think it will roughly be about the same as I'm earning now.

I think niche does have a role in this somewhat. I think Pethelpful writers have recovered better than some others. I don't have a lot of Pethelpful articles.

My relationship articles still dominate my earnings. I've noticed new articles for this year and last year did better than say 2019 and 2020. For some reason, 2019 and 2020 articles haven't done well. But 2016-2018 was (and has been) lucrative in many ways.

I think overall there was an update in September 2022 from Google and since then everything has been in a grind on HP to recover.

5. JoannaBlackburn profile image85
      JoannaBlackburnposted 4 months agoin reply to this

The new guidelines suggested update and change photos and unpublished articles that are not getting read.  I did these things and now my numbers are going up again.  Google changed again.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 months ago

Given that the run-up to Christmas is historically the best time of year for CPMs, I suspect that January and February payments will be even worse.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 4 months ago

This month is very disappointing for me, too. Years ago, I had four-digit earnings a few times. And we only had three ads per page in those days. This month, it dropped to two digits. I've been working on a new article but losing motivation.

In addition, my views today (Dec 1st) dropped considerably. This is not a good sign, especially since it means TAG is losing income, too, and I'm beginning to think this can't continue. I have backups of all my articles.

1. hclpd profile image94
      hclpdposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Yeah. Need to start creating backups as well.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image93

It's backup time! The handwriting is on the wall. So sad.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 4 months ago

last month I made half the amount I did in June, and it just keeps falling.

That's the thing, it's been going on for over two years and we've not even stagnated at a low level, views and earnings just keep dropping.

HP have already done a lot but with no joy so far. They need to figure out a solution.

It's tough, as the updates come thick and fast nowadays. Sometimes they overlap with each other, which never happened in the past. Nowadays, when there's volatility in the search results, there can be a debate over which update caused it.

5. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 months ago

My November earnings were approximately 44% of the same period in 2019 and 88% of the level for 2022.

6. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 4 months ago

This is the first time I missed payout in years!

7. Drew Agravante profile image97
    Drew Agravanteposted 4 months ago

Just to chip in a bit. I've only been really active for the last 2 years. But my experience this year seems really different from the rest. My earnings and views grew tremendously even after multiple google core updated.

So far, I've been applying a few SEO techniques I learned from a few podcast (Blogging Millionaire and Blogging Genius). Perhaps some of their tricks and tips can help some authors here too.

It seems the google updates really struck hard this year - targeting specific types of post (how-to's and guides). I avoid writing those now and do my best to think how my content can be helpful for my target audience. I also heard lots of other website owners losing 20%-50% traffic worsened by poor CPMs (yes my CPM is also lackluster).

Looking forward, I can also feel the tension buidling among writers about the upcoming google generative AI search update. Personally, I can only hope, work, and adapt for this rapid changes.

It sounds like you've worked hard and it's paid off. Congratulations! That is so awesome! It's good to hear!

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

Congratulations Drew!

Maybe Manhwa (Webtoons) listicles are a thing that hadn't been fully explored previously and you've found a gap in the market?

It's difficult to assess what your traffic and earnings would've been if you'd joined the site earlier.

Hobbylark.com (the home for most of your articles) has lost nearly 75% of its traffic since its peak in 2019 with the biggest drop starting in early 2021 (according to SEMRush).

I think most of us old-timers are comparing our traffic and earnings now with historic levels. Mine peaked in early 2021 but there'd been good periods before that.

If you're like Glenn and have gone from earning 4-figure sums each month to just 2 figures, it's a tough pill to swallow.

I agree that on-page SEO is vitally important here and it's something that we writers can control. Everyone should follow the HP advice in the newsletters etc. and seek to maximize the SEO for their articles.

However, it also has to be noted that there are many SEO elements that are outside of our control.

8. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 4 months ago

Last month I earned the highest earnings I have had during my 11 years at HP.  Having said that, my earnings, each of the first 3 months of 2023, were one third of November 2023 earnings. I expect another substantial downturn after the new year.

The delay in earnings was concerning.  I am not aware of a recalculation of earnings; if there was one, it was a matter of pennies. So that means there is likely a cash flow issue somewhere.  Either the advertisers delayed paying TAG, or TAG had other priorities for payments.  According to their press release, 2023 third quarter cash on hand for TAG was approximately half of third quarter 2022.

It makes sense that we would be the last to be paid, as we can't threaten to standup and walkout, if we don't get paid on time in the future.  We have zero bargaining power. Only individuals may get fed up and leave.  Staff writers or AI would likely recreate our content in our absence. Pethelpful has "writers" churning out "guides" that rehash the most basic breed info to be found on the internet, on a daily basis. Plus the "News" which is mining the Tik Tok universe for insanely, hysterical videos that will melt your heart... these are discouraging advents.

Reaching out to current writers for Ask an Expert is the only bright spot I see in the relationship between TAG and the HP writers.  I sometimes feel that upper management views us as leeches, draining their future earnings, when they could pay staff writers or implement AI to fill the site with mediocre content on every topic under the sun, and be done with trailing commissions.

So, while my current earnings should make me happy and optimistic, I never the less find myself fearful regarding January and an inevitable crash in earnings.

9. Moondot1822 profile image95
    Moondot1822posted 4 months ago

I earned the highest earnings last month and will receive my second payout on December 28. I took a break, but it didn't really affect my earnings.

It's the irony of true crime paying off.

10. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 4 months ago

Good for you, Moondot.

11. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 months ago

Maybe CPM is weighted by network site on a rota to keep all authors happy.

I'm pretty sure that it follows the standard advertising system and keywords determine value. Some niches lend themselves to lower or higher value keywords, as has been recognized by others, but it's the keywords that matter.

That was always the case and obvious when we had Adsense. However, it took me some time to realize that the same applied when we switched to Hub Ads. The relative values of different keywords are not a secret.

The only weighting I've wondered about is whether relatively low views are slightly over-rewarded in order to encourage beginner writers. That's pure speculation, however, essentially a throwaway idea.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)