Are we allowed to use epithets like 'f..' in our writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

I have just read a piece that is not only published on letterpile, but has more grammatical errors than I can count and uses epithets wholesale.

Are we allowed to use cuss words on hubpages?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Our rules prohibit excessive profanity. If an author uses profanity in moderation in a way that is appropriate for the target audience, it will not usually be moderated. (For example, it might be appropriate to use certain words and phrases sparingly in an article about heavy metal music, but not in an article written for expecting mothers.)

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

... because expectant mothers don't usually use that language until the actual birth. :-)

Fair! lol

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61
        TessSchlesingerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Just curious. Would that be in reporting verbatim the remarks of a heavy metal band song or band member, or in the description the writer has of the band member.

With respect, there was absolutely no need whatsoever to use epithets in the particular article. Quite apart from that, it had capital letters all over the place, and the writer seemed not to know that ellipsis contained three dots - not four or five, and that one did not start a sentence immediately after it without a space in between.

I did send a link to the team.

We tend to allow a lot of leeway when it comes to non-spammy creative writing.

It appears so.

With respect, that was not a piece of creative writing, and it actually insults someone who is a good creative writer to be put in the same category.

Creative writing does NOT allow one to put four or five dots for an ellipsis. Nor does it permit the kind of grammatical errors that this particular writer made.

Nor did the epithets add anything to the piece.

Again, with respect, Christy, creative writing does not mean bad writing.

1. theraggededge profile image97
              theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. There is an awful lot of bad writing on Letterpile, which means that, ultimately, Letterpile will become the dark and dismal corner of the network sites. In fact, it should be the opposite. Letterpile should be the shining example for all the other sites. It's where the best creative writing should live.

2. Titia profile image92
              Titiaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree. They hardly even look at articles submitted to Letterpile. It's understandable if it's a poem, but any other crreative writing should be handled the same way as any other article on the niche sites.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

My answer is : "No." -- it might be an exception if it is a specific quote with a good reason to quote it.
    In other cases, if a person can't think of a better way to express the same idea . . .s/he is not a writer.

This site has made it clear that it is family friendly. If you are writing in a way that you would not like to hear your young child speak, your words should fly elsewhere.
    I would report it for review.
    I'm not a language-prude I have lived with people who learned their vocabulary in the Army. As a teacher (supposedly to set an example) I made a conscious effort to restrain myself from using crude language even in my personal conversation. Being exposed to such language also taught me to not over-react when I heard it in the classroom. People who use those words, often are  manipulative and looking for an emotional reaction.

There is an article posted on letterpile that not only uses several epithets but is grammatically so poor that I cannot conceive it has been featured, nevermind posted to letterpile.

The writer continually omits commas, puts commas where they don't make sense, uses capital letters for no reason at all, uses epithets, uses italics and embolded words -  all against APA rules.

I actually emailed it to Marisa to ask her what she thought. She said she is mystified.

I can't post the link here, but the article shouldn't be featured, nevermind put on letterpile.

3. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 6 years ago

I've come across a lot of hubs in the niche sites that shouldn't have been there. Lots of hubs with too many Amazon capsules too. I think a lot of those hubs have been moved over in the beginning to fill the niche sites and never have been updated since, because if they had been updated they would've gone through QAP again.

Like Rochelle said, you can report them for review.

This was only put up recently as it is not an old article. In fact, it's a newbie writer. My jaw dropped when I read it.

It sort of gives a double standard. Some of us have to jump through hoops and if the slightest comma is out of place, we get snotty letters.

And then I see this...

4. Stella Kaye profile image83
    Stella Kayeposted 6 years ago

No certainly not; HubPages is not the place for any swear words or writing that isn't 'family friendly'.

It amazes me too that some extremely bad grammatical and spelling errors are found in so many articles published on HubPages. Writers should be guardians of the English language.

Sometimes articles are written in a foreign language and put through a translator before being posted on HubPages and thus the faults in these articles are glaringly obvious.  If English isn't your 'mother tounge,' and you want to post articles on sites such as HubPages, please learn to write properly in English first. Sites such as Grammarly are free and can help immensely, so really there is no excuse.

There is a also a difference between the written and spoken language. English writing is formal whereas speech is more colloquial.

Many English speakers don't realize that the way they speak is not acceptable in the written word. After all, when we speak, we don't pause to say "Comma here. Starting a new sentence here with a capital letter now."

We don't need to know those things when we speak, so for those who never read a lot as kids or who weren't interested in learning grammar at schools, writing can be a series of unfortunate events...

5. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

That would be me! (raises hand) big_smile

...although if I must use a cuss word, I replace one or more of its letters with asterisks so I don't offend anyone's sensibilities.  So y'know, all those nuns who are reading my articles about W.A.S.P. and Lucifer's Hammer don't get the vapors. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)