Writing Hub in a Video Dominated Topic Worth It?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. nomadspirit profile image94
    nomadspiritposted 5 years ago

Hi All,
         I write almost exclusively on travel, but I recently started a business that gives me good experience with a beauty related topic. I want to do some review type articles on this topic, however when I googled a few possible titles I noticed that videos took the first 9 positions (amazon took #10). The topics I would be reviewing do not have any in depth reviews for the first 3 pages apart from customer reviews in online giants like ebay, amazon and beauty stores.
    If I wrote good reviews (detailed, 2000 words and up, good pics etc) do they stand a chance? I just don't know how google rates articles when put up against videos. Any help appreciated.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think they like videos. But it's like Amazon capsules I think, one for every 500 words. I write a series about famous people and they will allow two videos,(usually Musicians) but I can't think of them allowing anymore, and some of them are 3,000 words.

nomadspiritposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!
        I was more wondering whether an all text article could compete with videos in the SERPs. I noticed that videos from YouTube had taken the top positions when I googled the topics I was interested in.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Those videos you found in the top 9 positions are probably not what you are going to find next week or next month. If you write a good article, and it is thorough enough to cover almost everything that people are searching for on that subject, then Google and the other search engines wil probably move it up and give it a chance.
      If people still think the video is better (by clicking out of your article and watching a video) then it will not stay there long. If you do a good job and answer their questions you have a good chance of moving up to the top.
      As theraggededge points out, a lot of us still prefer written info to videos since we can scan it and find the info we need quickly.
      Good luck with this.

Thanks!
        I think I will take theraggededge's advice and give it a trial with just two hubs taking different angles to see what works. Maybe I will make one a review and word the second so that review is left off of the title to see how Google treats them-- all the videos have review in their titles. Will update!

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

There are those who prefer video, but there are still many of us who prefer to read and see photos. I'd say, give it a one or two hub trial. Nothing to lose.

I've noticed that bloggers (food, products, all-kinds-of-things) have cottoned on to the fact that their posts need to be beautifully detailed with great supporting images. Often they repeat themselves but it do it in such a way that it works. That's one reason why Pinterest is so popular.

Yes. I think I will try with two hubs and watch to see what happens, then take it from there.
      I am with you on preferring good articles over videos. It looks like Google and the rest of the world disagrees though!  I find videos showing up more and more in my searches.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 5 years ago

I've been curious about this too, since videos often take the top position.

4. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 5 years ago

I'd try it! I search beauty reviews often and although sometimes I like to check out the videos, I prefer blog-style beauty reviews. Oftentimes, when video comes up as the top result I'll scroll down and even go back a page or two to find an article with photos. I just like them better.

Thanks so Much!
      This really helped me. Now I know that some people may be willing to pass a whole page of videos to read an article so I will give it a try. Thanks again.

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 5 years ago

Also, I have little kids and a lot of times, when I have the time to Google stuff like this, I can't watch a video - my kids are sleeping and I've forgotten my earbuds, yet another reason I prefer articles to video right now.

6. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 5 years ago

Does it matter? I mean writing a Hub that makes it to the top of the search engine results is awesome but it's a bit high of a goal to start off with. I write about anything and everything under the sun and never know what is going to be liked. Last week I spent the whole week researching an article that's only gotten seven hits so far. This week a bunch of articles I just churned out in an hour are still top in the search engine and getting thousands of clicks a day. No rhyme or reason. I don't regret spending time writing the less popular ones. They still might have their day and even if they don't what have I really lost in writing them? Perhaps a little time I could have spent doing what? Nothing? Go write, write what you know and hope for the best!

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Seven hits? I printed the trickster article and burned it at our Candomblé alter so Exu could enjoy it. He thought it was well done, and rewarded me with a pimple in the middle of my forehead.

1. Theophanes profile image90
        Theophanesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yep, that'd be the one, it's up to 11 hits now! That's OK, terribly niche topic, to  be expected. Thanks for noticing it! And for making me laugh. Hope the pimple isn't too bad!

2. Natalie Frank profile image90
      Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have to say ditto.  I am an expert on psychology with a Ph.D. but I think only one of my psych articles is on page 1.  By far my best performing article is on the book 1984.  Go figure.

Deleted

Don't feel bad, my current #1 article is about being terrorized by Bengal cats... a random personal experience I spent no time in writing! Then again cats do win the internet...  and 1984 is an awesome read.

2. nomadspirit profile image94

It matters! With the exception of the few articles I write just for the love of the place (I write mostly travel) I mostly write with the goal of informing and making a little extra. Aiming for anything less than the top 3 position defeats these goals.
        In any case I have not found aiming for the #1 position to be as lofty a goal as you suggest-- this may be due to the topics I write on-- instead I find that with the right research nowadays many of my articles start out on page 3 or page 2 and then slowly make their way up to page 1.

OK, you must have had a lot more luck than I did starting up. Good for you! I started writing just for the joy of it, not expecting it to make any money, but hoping someday it might. It literally took years but when it caught on I was delighted and completely shocked. It was and still is a very lofty goal for me. If it makes money I am very happy but if it gives a smile, informs someone, or spreads joy, I still believe it was absolutely worth writing... paid or not. However those are my ideals, I understand others may have different incentives and it doesn't hurt to ask. Happy Hubbing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)