I'd like feedback on my article: When Comments Become the Article 3

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Rodric29 profile image77
    Rodric29posted 5 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article? What can I do to improve? Thanks!
    Here is my article: When Comments Become the Article 3

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Similar observations as with the other article, Rodric, with some additional comments.

I can't stress the need for a proper title. Your title is what shows up in search engine results. If you aren't too worried about traffic or earning money, It's not so important.

This intro: "Debating if I should start off with some anecdotal story that is happening in my life, I decided to start this article out with some anecdotal story that is happening in my life!"

I think that is supposed to be funny, but it's really just confusing. You must have a proper introduction to explain to your readers what they can expect. We need to know what we will be reading about.

So I'm six paragraphs in and I still don't know the topic. Now I'm skimming through and I still can't work out what I'm reading. It's religion-based, but about what, I have no idea. Is it about racism?

It seems that this was written 'off the cuff'. With no structure or framework to help it flow. That is very difficult to carry off in an article. You end up with all kinds of divergences and little dead ends.

So, think about what message you are trying to get across here. List at least four subheadings that will take you from the introduction to a conclusion. Think structure. Think flow.

You must make sure that your images are legal to use. You can't take images from the internet and republish them here: https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … -image-use

I see you have a ton of articles here already, and many of them are on the network sites, so perhaps I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here big_smile With all your experience, you must be able to discern the problems with these two articles?

Rodric29posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I see the points that you are making. I did not put to paper what I had in my head. Sometimes comments can be the subject of their own articles. In this case, it needs much work to shape it into that. I will re-edit with the suggestions you provide in mind. Sometimes, even with so many featured hubs, I need to be schooled in the basics of writing.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

The title makes me expect an article on how to convert interesting comments into articles, and what I got was something about Mormonism?  Seemed like a personal blog post not a hub.

pscheskinner, my hub was supposed to be about comments that make good articles on their own. I did not do a good job of presenting that for the last two hubs. I did a better job on the first one with this title. I need to go back and make each article stand on its own. I am taking comments from articles I have written and making them into hubs. It is trial and error.  These are the error parts. Also, I do write a lot about doctrines from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I prefer not to be referred to as a Mormon or my religion referred to as Mormonism. Thanks for your insight. I really appreciate you being honest about reading and expected. I will edit. If that doesn't work I might have to delete and rethink I going to turn my comments into articles.

3. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

The main thing I think is that they don't like articles that sound like they're in a series even if they can stand on their own.  Typically, they won't move them to niche sites unless they have unique titles though you can link them to each other as long as they're on niche sites and not linking from a niche site back to HP.  The title doesn't seem to really represent what the article is about anyway.  If the article is on Mormonism, you need to indicate that in the title.  People who think an article is about one thing and start reading just to find out it's on something else often get annoyed especially if the something else involves religion. Good luck.

Thank You Natalie. I am considering changing the nature of the articles so that I can do a series where each article can stand alone. I did not give this much thought and detail. I saw it occurring with another hubber and tried to copy. I have to work out my approach. I want to keep the title, so I will have to find another way to keep potential readers from getting annoyed. I had to change the title s to one of my other series because it annoyed me! I want to push with this one for as long as I can, the title.

The problem is that the title is meaningless. And while it is so, the articles will probably keep being rejected. Your title HAS to reflect the content.

Also, do you think anyone is searching for that title? If you retain it, you are essentially wasting your time. You can work on the content all you like, but if the title is naff, the content is never going to be found, or read.

I think I mournfully will have to change the titles then. I did not want to do it because one of my favorite hubbers does a series that just reached over its 200th article! I was hoping to start a following like that writer. He is a dynamic writer and has a huge following. However, he does not worry about whether his articles are featured or not.

I will take you advice and change the title. I changed the content drastically. That was not enough. Thanks for your advice. I am so grateful that you were direct and not beating around a bush too.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

It seems you tried something different than what you usually do. That is adventurous and takes more work. What are you trying to say? Once you have your message, organize your article to get your message across to the reader.

It is something different. I am going to need to change the titles to reflect explicitly what is in the article. I like being featured.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I read the article and it doesn't match the title at all.  If you wanted to write about how to spin articles from comments, this is not it.  You don't tell people how to do this with their own topics using general principles.

I get it. You are right. I am going to change the title. I wanted to have a long series only changing the number. I might be able to write an article about change a comment into an article after your help.  Thanks so much for this.

6. kiylahskies profile image63
    kiylahskiesposted 5 years ago

I personally really like it, the personal vibe I get from it kind of makes me want to read more, but i agree with the past title problem

Thanks, kiylahskies. I changed the title and spruced it up a bit.

7. Hannah Kuykendall profile image71
    Hannah Kuykendallposted 5 years ago

I really like the article, The only problem I had was the title. because like someone else said, you have it as a series and if I was trying to find an article on this topic, the title would have detoured me because it seems like a series.
    Id love it if you would check out my first article and give me some feedback as well!
    https://hubpages.com/health/Living-with … lk-allergy

Hannah, if you need help with an article, post a separate thread. People will be glad to help. Posting a link to your own on someone else's thread is frowned upon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)