Ads Off Due to Content

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

I published an article on suicide. I thought the ads were off until it gained more traffic. But I just checked it out and it appears that the subject matter falls outside of the TOS?!!?? yikes I had no idea. Staff and veterans, please clarify.

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this
        jansharesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, chef, very helpful. I guess exploring the notion of choice when discussing suicide falls under "Advocating Suicide" under the category of "Dangerous Content." Sigh. Not my intention, I'm so bummed. But I hope the information gets families talking and the resources help those who need it. Thanks for your help.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

When writing I always bear in mind that our articles are supposed to be acceptable for children to read.  Topics such as suicide, abortion, etc are never good choices, regardless of how helpful they may be.

Hmmm. Never looked at it that broadly for informational articles. Another lesson learned about online writing. However, I'm thinking the bigger issue with AdSense and Google is liability. Thanks, TIMETRAVELER.

2. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

That's sad... This is what happens when one policy has to fit everything. Not HP's fault, it's an Adsense issue.

Yup, oh well. So much work.

3. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Yep, I have two articles that are about the difference between self-harm or thoughts about suicide and these symptoms in OCD with the focus on OCD.  One of them is my second highest in terms of views by tens of thousands of views and the other one usually is about fourth or fifth with tons of views as well.  Ads off due to content = lots of lost money.  Oh well.  I had several more planned but decided not to do them because I knew it would be the same story.  Sorry your article is in the same boat but at least you only did one smile

Thanks, Natalie. That's great your articles are informative. I do hope I can provide information to a lot of readers, too. I think I stocked my article with enough information so I won't need to touch this subject again. wink

2. janshares profile image92

Natalie, I looked for your articles but couldn't find them on your profile page. I wanted to know if they were accepted onto a niche site?

Nevermind, mine just got picked up for Owlcation.

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
        Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There's this one https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/S … ion-in-OCD - which is always second or third in terms of views and this one, https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/W … Obsessions which is usually in the top 10 for view.  Both are on Owlcation.

I never thought about it before but even though HP says they want articles to be family friendly they still put these types of articles and lots others on niche sites - they just turn off ads.  So it's doesn't seem that they're really trying to be family friendly they are just trying to appear that way to google by having these articles fly below the adsense radar.

Yeah, it seems that way. Thanks for the links, will take a look.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I thought I'd made a previous post here, but it is gone.

At any rate, I no longer attempt medical articles; too many obstacles from everywhere.

Yes, now I know the hard way. Now I'm curious about how writers on sites like WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, Mayo Clinic and Psych Central get paid it they write about topics deemed "dangerous." I did have a hard time finding articles on the topic for my research.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They are not monetised by Adsense.

Thank you.

2. Natalie Frank profile image92

I wonder how they are monetised.  I don't think WebMD is monetized but I know PsychCentral is.  Are they ways to determine how a site is monetized?  Just wondering in case I want to create a website with content that adsense might not be friendly to.  Thanks

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
            SmartAndFunposted 5 years agoin reply to this

After a quick look at both sites, it looks like WebMD and PsychCentral sell their space directly to advertisers. Maybe they use other avenues as well; I didn't look too far into it.

https://psychcentral.com/about/advertising/
            https://mediakit.webmd.com/contact-us/

As far as Google goes, it is my understanding that HubPages goes the extra mile and interprets Google's guidelines very conservatively so that there is no possibility of any violation. For example, AdSense rules say that they will not advertise on any content that glorifies suicide. Jan's article does not glorify suicide, but HP chooses not to place ads on any article concerning suicide, so that there is no possibility of even the appearance of a violation. I hope an HP staff member will correct me if I am wrong about this.

1. Natalie Frank profile image92

Right.  Mine certainly don't glorify suicide either, but I get they don't want to risk even the possibility of a problem with adsence and google.  It's not worth it and could shut down the whole site permanently.

2. janshares profile image92

Thank you, smartandfun for more understanding of how this works.

5. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

While it sucks on your end, it is important to remember that Google must make advertisers happy. If advertisers refuse to show ads on suicide-related topics, Google has to submit. They wouldn't risk losing big advertisers.

They already lost some due to YouTube related issues and their response was to moderate hard.

Bottom line. Thanks, Eric.

6. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

Update and question:

My article on suicide gets no organic traffic. I understand the rule about the ads. My question is does Google not index the article that has no ads because it's not advantageous to them, i.e., it makes no money? No money for HP either if no one is clicking on the article.

Lesson learned. I initially said "oh well" at least those who need the information will see the article even if I don't make any money on it. But now it looks like NOBODY can see the article if Google doesn't allow it in the search.

Please advise and/or enlighten. FYI, I changed the title to see if that would help and it hasn't budged. I know there is a need for this information out there but if nobody sees it . . . neutral

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If it is featured, then it should be indexed regardless of the situation with the ads. There may be a whole lot of articles about suicide online, and so that may be why you've yet to see Google traffic.

I wanted to mention one thing to you I recall from years ago. Personal experience here. You shouldn't ever mention rape, or use that word. 'rape.' That will kill your advertising instantly. At least it did to me once a long time ago.

Thanks, Wesman. Yes, I understand the word "suicide" falls in that category. As for traffic, I guess I need to give it time, continue to share on social media and with colleagues, depending on what's trending.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)