Your Best Performing Article and Its Popularity

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Have you identified any attributes or layout style that could be making it so popular compared to others? The only thing I can pick out from my article with the highest traffic is that it has lots of line diagrams on a white background (which can be easily squashed with  jpg compression and have small file sizes).

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and I have noticed a lot of articles on Hubpages that are written in a way to not attract readers and traffic.
      On an article entitled "How to make tiddlywinks out of widgets" (making this up, obviously) the writer will start out with a description of tiddlywinks, types of tiddlywinks, the best places to buy tiddlywinks, the things widgets are used for, and then, finally, a tiny section on how to make tiddlywinks out of widgets.
      That may have worked back in the day. It does not work on the internet.
      Articles should be arranged so that they answer the question. If the reader wants to read more, great, but if he does not he should be able to read what the article is about and then go on to more details. IF HE OR SHE WANTS TO.
      That is how my best performing article is laid out. I am also trying to make all of my other articles similar to this.

1. robhampton profile image92
        robhamptonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Haha. I laugh because years ago before the niche sites and strict quality control on HP, there was an article titled ”How to Open a Door" I'm not making this up! lol

eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sounds quirky enough to be on WikiHow!  Those guys seems to have the "How to" market sown up, but it's nice to beat them in SERPs occasionally.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You definitely are not. I remember that one. I'm at an Airbnb while on a conference and earlier this morning I could have used an article on How to close a door big_smile Luckily it was written on the handle (I didn't notice it at first). Close, twist key and at the same time lift the handle up! That's how it locks haha. I should write a hub about it.

1. OldRoses profile image94
            OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yup!  That's how my glass door to my backyard closes and locks.  A real pain if I'm carrying something because I need both hands to close the door.

2. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oddly, I am seeing Google reward that on the dog name front.  Paragraphs about how to think about dog names, then a short list of meaningless dog names, mostly unrelated to the topic they promised to deliver on.

I refuse to bow to this strategy, yet I am watching ranking drop to this style article, time after time.  Maybe Google sees that people are scrolling deeper into the article, just to get past the junk.  Perhaps people find a name early on in my article and are done before getting to the bottom. Who knows what factors influence these things.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have noticed that a lot since the last update. It is like the worst things have risen to the top.

2. ZxRed profile image89
      ZxRedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Most of my high performing hubs are about how to's of video games. I have 3 hubs that are holds the number one spot on Google search. Some things I noticed that beat the competition are pictures from the game with captions and bullet lists especially for tips.

eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Bullet and numbered lists are potentially good for getting a featured snippet (but don't answer everything in the list so a user doesn't have to click through to the article from the snippet).

1. ZxRed profile image89
          ZxRedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that too. Thanks for the heads up.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Poetry analysis seems to work for me. My most popular articles are those that answer specific questions about any particular poem....about rhyme, rhythm, metre, meaning, literary devices... that sort of thing. I pop the question into the capsule title and answer with relevant info, deep detail and insightful analysis. My absolute top article has around 13 capsules like this, following an initial summary of the poem. I also use call outs occasionally for explanation and glossary.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image93
    Shesabutterflyposted 4 years ago

My 3 most popular articles ever have a very similar layout in my opinion. However, of those 3 only 2 are currently producing good traffic this year. One is on Owlcation, the other is on Delishably, and my other one that is not doing well this year is on Pethelpful.

This year's top performing article is a comparison article layed out with definitions and descriptions followed by a table/chart. I go into detail about each item I'm comparing and end with a map. The map is not really necessary, but it does provide a good visual for some key ideas within the article. Not sure if Q&A matters in regards to popularity, but this article has some of the best questions, which allows me to write long detailed responses. This particular article has 4 questions that have been found "helpful" over 25 times. This article also holds the #1 spot on Google, which I think plays the biggest part in it's popularity. The subject matter is not highly sought after in my experience, and is definitely not a topic that most would recommend here at HP, but it does very well considering. It is pretty seasonal which I find interesting (peaks during religious holiday seasons and near the end of the school year), but it does well most of the year. My other article in this topic is set up in almost the exact same way, however it doesn't get much traffic at all. I believe it is because it is on page 3 rather than on page 1. In this case I think the rank effects popularity and not the layout.

My 2nd most popular is a "tips/how to" article. I have lists with thought out explanations and personal experiences. I also give a few recommendations, which I think people find helpful. I layed it out in a similar way to my Pethelful article, but again I think rank plays a bigger role. My Delishably article is on the first page and has the #1 rank depending on keywords used and my Pethelful has dropped to page 3.

In my case I think it depends mostly on ranking and how much is already written in regards to my content. I try to keep my layouts very similar, but I tend to write on a few different topics and some of what I write will have a very specific audience so if it's not on the first page it is likely not going to be seen very often unfortunately.

3. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Does anyone observe a correlation between the number of images and traffic? (or paragraph length and traffic?)

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Paragraph length should not make a difference unless super long paragraphs are making people hit the back button. Page load time does to some extent, so the number of images may play a role. But, I do not see this. My most popular hub has a lot of images while the second most popular (very close to the most popular) has just one image.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years ago

I've never once done keyword research in my life. I really should probably start doing that, but as of yet, I have not.

My best performing articles were topics which I had simply got interested in, and by some sort of luck, was more comprehensive about, and early out of the gate with publishing about. Basically, my very best performing 3 or 4 were things I was learning about as I was composing the text. I'd go read several pages from different sites, come back and work on the page, writing text, and figuring out what the next section should be.

I don't want to sound all mystical or anything, but learning new stuff is fun. It is when you're already very interested in the topic. Maybe the enthusiasm bleeds through the ones and zeroes and transfers into the readers. Well heck, that's mysticism.

Nothing special about my formatting.

1. Madeleine Clays profile image94
      Madeleine Claysposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree that being passionate about your topic will draw readers in.

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

I'm not sure to what degree layout has helped but I've always tried to create clean formatting with continuity of images, subtitles, paragraph content, etc. What I think has had more of an impact on making my most popular articles is a subject/title that speaks to an immediate need, desperation, frustration or perceived crisis.

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

I think the best approach is to study what's popular and copy the style (not the content).

The front pages of the niche sites also have hubs which HP is subtly(?) suggesting we should emulate.

I also think one should pay attention to what the HP editors do to one's hubs, especially if it results in increased traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)