I'd like feedback on my Article: Things to do in Foz do IguaƧu

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. JanisaChatte profile image91
    JanisaChatteposted 4 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I've been thinking of starting a travel blog for quite a while now since I travel a lot and I love to find the best tips and things to do everywhere I go. I decided I'd start by posting an article or two here on hubpages to see how it goes. Can anyone give me some tips and constructive criticism on things that I should change or improve to make my article more attractive to readers? Here's the article: https://hubpages.com/travel/Things-to-d … uau-Brazil
    Thanks in advance smile

1. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

First of all, HubPages is not a blogging platform.  If you want to write a blog, please check out Blogger or WordPress, both of them are free.  If you  wish to write for HubPages you should be aware that it is for writers of magazine style articles of approximately 1,000 words in length answering the question "How do I . . ."  Before you write anything, you should spend some time reviewing the articles in the Learning Center (Help button, upper right).  They will tell you everything you need to know to write articles for HubPages.

JanisaChatteposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi, thank you for your comment. Yes, I know that it's not a blogging platform. I'm planning to start a blog in the future, so I'm just trying to decide what specific topic I will write on, so for now I'm planning to experiment with different topics to see which I enjoy best and which is the most popular.
        The length is something that I'm having some issues with, so maybe I'll try writing different types of articles, since a lot of things I write that aren't recipes end up being too long.
        thanks for your feedback!

2. Eurofile profile image97
      Eurofileposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree that you need to be more specific about the location in the title.
      I like the general layout, listing places of interest and then working through them. I think maybe you should go through and  make the article more punchy. Shorten paragraphs where you can. Get rid of the term "Stats". It sounds too clinical. Avoid using bold, unless absolutely necessary. If you put too much information that is time specific such as admission costs and times, it will require frequent updates.
      From experience, Amazon links can be problematic.
      This article has great potential. With a few adjustments, it should get through. Perseverance is the key on HubPages.

I just added the country to the title. I think it'll be more clear now.
        Yeah, I'm thinking of changing the stats capsules. I was thinking that having admission prices would be useful, especially since for the majority of the attractions there is either no English version of the website or it is very unclear and difficult to use.
        My main objective is to get natural search traffic. It somehow happened with one of my articles where I didn't really do anything special and now I'm trying to create another one that will be successful, but I'm having some difficulties.
        thanks for the tips!

2. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

I would put Brazil in the title somewhere as many people (including me) have not heard of this place before and more likely to do searches like 'interesting places to visit in Brazil'..  Putting Brazil in the url may not be enough.  You provide a lot of stats but only a couple  links to where you get them from?  Pretty heavy reading and you will have to work hard to keep them up to date. Also you could do with some more properly credited images and a few videos.  People want to see what they would be seeing and experiencing.

I would also lose the Amazon capsule as it is irrelevant.

The biggest challenge you have is turn this from a list of information into an engaging, readable article.  Link to sites that give the details and you concentrate on giving your readers a flavour of the area they will potentially be visiting. Lure them there with your words!

Hi!
      Thanks for the comment. I am planning to add more images soon, I hope to have at least one image for each topic, as well as my own personal images.
      I am thinking of breaking up the capsules a bit, but I'm not sure yet how.
      As for the amazon capsule, I've never had much success with it, any tips?

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, don't use an Amazon capsule. If it's possible, link naturally to an item in your text, but don't feel you have to shoehorn in an item just for the sake of it. For example, if my article leads nicely to using a quote from a particular book, then I will link to it. If not, then I don't use Amazon at all.

Amazon capsules don't show up for readers using an adblocker.

3. Doneta Wrate profile image79
    Doneta Wrateposted 4 years ago

Travel articles are accepted in the niche WanderWisdom.  So maybe her ideas would fit here if she studied the WanderWisdom articles first.  I wrote a hub on my 6 most fun memories of Molokai Hawaii and it made WanderWisdom almost immediately

1. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I was referencing the first sentence in her post where she states her desire to start a travel blog.  If she wants to write a blog, this is not the appropriate platform.  HubPages has very strict rules about how articles that are published here should be written as opposed to a blog which is more free-form and rule-free. 

I am aware of the niche site WanderWisdom, but as I pointed out, there are rules about articles that are published there.  Blog posts, which are short and personal, are not acceptable.  HP wants magazine style articles of approximately 1,000 words.  If she wants to write articles like that, then she will pass QAP.  Blog posts will not pass QAP.  This is something that a lot of newbies don't understand because they don't take the time to read the articles in the Learning Center before attempting to get published here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)