Using Bullet Lists

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Cynthia Hoover profile image89
    Cynthia Hooverposted 3 years ago

I am working on article right now and realize that I have what feels like a huge bullet list. Though completely relevant to the topic (specific about a college and what courses are offered). I feel like that leaves a lot of maybe unnecessary scrolling between the bullets and the next bit of text. I could use a table perhaps. Is there a general consensus or rule for online writing and bullets? A magical number at which we should maybe use a table?

I am only concerned because of the potential for people to bounce early on when they hit the list(s). There will be two bullet lists if I proceed on this course, one for two year degrees, and one for 4 year. The 4 year programs are not as exhausting as or long as two year. Or perhaps rather than list the specific degrees I could just list topics of study rather than each individual option. Obviously I tend to be long winded (as if this post was not already evident of that).

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Cynthia, perhaps consider ditching the bullets and using subtitles for each point and explaining your point in the text. That may be an option to deter your readers from scrolling thru your article.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 3 years ago

I think I've got more than one article with TEN separate sections of bullet point lists.

The majority of my articles over the past 4 years feature at least ONE section with bullet points, and most have multiple sections with bullet points.

I use bullet points constantly.

3. Cynthia Hoover profile image89

I use them frequently too. I am wondering if at any point a bullet list can be too long. This particular list would be around 50 total bullets. My articles with lists tend to do well. I am just not sure if scrolling a long list would hinder reader retention or not.

1. samanthacubbison profile image82
      samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cynthia, are you able to break up the bullets by category? If so, you can use H2/3s to make it look less like one long list. You can also post your article here and I can take a closer look at it!

Cynthia Hooverposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I am still working on it now. Currently below 500 words so not nearly ready to publish. I'm hung up on these bullets so I left it to walk away for a while worked on a few other articles. So that I could come back with fresh eyes (but alas the lists still look awkward to me). 

I am going to try break them up with H2/3s as you suggested in other capsules for the same information and see if the flow is better. That way I still have the bullets and can preview both ways.   It just doesn't feel/look like it flows well with such a long list (especially early on within the article).

Sounds good. Good luck! Feel free to post here when you're done. smile

4. Cynthia Hoover profile image89

This is as good as I could get it (funny not funny-totally okay to laugh folks). The best I could manage to break up that large bullet list and pare it down to a few different sections. It visually looks a bit better. Yet, there is still a lengthy bullet lists. I still don't care for it, maybe even the entire article as a whole needs re-worked. lol

https://hubpages.com/education/How-to-G … t-Virginia

I think it looks fine. You have some paragraphs in there for variety and the bullets are useful.

I assume that you had planned to on account of the APA, but "Physical Education and Teaching Courses" is not in H3. Also, the second and second to last photos aren't full-width, so I suggest removing them.

Other than that, nice formatting and an overall informative read! smile

Thank for the tips I removed the images and edited a little. Hopefully after all the stay at home restrictions are lifted I can take the 5 hour drive to visit campus take to pictures to add in later.

Haha, that's a long drive just for a photo!

For sure it will be, but it is also a beautiful drive! The college is in a historic area so there is potential for taking other pictures to use in later articles too. I could not find any good public domain images for the college.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)