Can I have advice on how to make this article better?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Addison Sherrell profile image81
    Addison Sherrellposted 10 months ago

Hello! I was wondering if I could get some advice on how I could make this article better? It was an interview that I did. Interviewing was a pleasant experience, but I was hoping for more specific tips from the person and their answers felt a little generic/not very child-focused like I had hoped. Any advice on how I can take the answers they gave and make them a more enjoyable read? Or, in general, how I can improve the quality to have it published? Thank you!

Here's the article:

A Memorable Cross-Country Journey With the Kids

Traveling can present numerous challenges. Unexpected situations on a trip can be stressful to even an experienced adult traveler. Despite these potential difficulties, what might spark a family’s inspiration to take a road trip with their small children? To explore this question, I recently had the opportunity to interview a young mom who took a cross-country drive with her husband and two kids.

“We had always wanted to travel by car across the country so we could do some major sightseeing,” said Michelle, mother of two toddlers. “Along with that, Hayden [husband] didn’t like planes. At the time of the world we were living in, I was a little scared to get on one myself.”

The pandemic put a halt to many travel plans as transportation became much more difficult. Some individuals find airplanes intimidating, even under normal circumstances, and would prefer to stay on the ground rather than in the air. Instead of letting these challenges discourage them, this family made a bold decision to hit the road in their car. They traveled about 4,768 miles from the midwest to San Fransisco, CA.

Planning for Their Trip

“We planned out what time we would leave, the stops we would take, the hotels we would stop at, and of course, we packed. We planned out leaving at a time when our girls would still be asleep for a lot of it,” Michelle said.

Taking turns driving, husband and wife drove between 12 - 13 hours at a time, covering new ground while their girls mostly slept. The family stopped for meals and enjoyed snacks from gas stations. “They [children] really only had one or two toys, they were great!” Michelle said. “My favorite part of traveling with our kids was that they were so good the whole time. So much better than I thought it was gonna go. It wasn’t stressful at all, and they won’t remember it, no, but we definitely will. It will be memories we hang onto forever.”

“Always make sure everything is good on your vehicle before you leave."
    Unexpected challenges often arise during travel, and this family was no exception. Worn-out brake pads on their journey caused significant concern and added to their worries. “Always make sure everything is good on your vehicle before you leave,” Michelle advises to anyone considering taking a road trip. “Once we hit Vegas we visited some friends and they helped put new brakes on and changed out oil.”

Favorite Experiences

When asked if the family had any favorite experiences from the trip, she said, “They [children] weren’t old enough to really care. However, as for myself, my favorite experience was the Alcatraz Museum. It was on an Island and we had to take a boat out there. It was a really nice boat, like a Ferry! It had a restaurant on it but we only got a soft pretzel from there because we knew we had to be done with it before entering Alcatraz. This place was my favorite because I’m a true crime junkie!”

Advice Before You Go

Looking to take a family road trip? Have small children and you aren’t sure how they will do on the road? Consider this advice from Michelle as she reflected on their trip:

“Drive while your kids are asleep. It makes it so much easier and they aren’t crying the whole time. Take stops when you have to, but try not to stop unless you’re eating, using the bathroom, or getting gas. Travel cross-country in a camper, if you have it, so whoever isn’t driving can sleep comfortably. If you’re fancy and have one with a bathroom, that helps cut stops too. One last thing I’d like to recommend is to go while your kids are in diapers or after they’re potty trained. If you go while they’re in the middle of potty training, there will be way more stops than you need, unless, of course, you have that fancy camper.”

Future Plans

After their memorable trip with their children on the road, they are eager to continue traveling. They have plans to revisit San Fransisco on a road trip when their children are old enough to remember it. Michelle enthusiastically shared, “We plan to see all 50 states. A lot of times, our yearly vacation is seeing how many states we can see in a week. We’ve been to 26 of them together in our 4 years of marriage.” They saw four of these states before their children were born and plan to revisit those destinations with their kids in the future. With another baby on the way and a love for traveling, they are sure to have many more adventures to come!

1. WriterJanis profile image91
      WriterJanisposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Hi Addison!
      Your article is a little difficult to critique without seeing a final copy that shows text breakdowns and titles, not to mention pictures that would be included.
      Good advice about making sure everything is good with your vehicle.
      I guess in a sense it's a museum, but it isn't called that. It's better known as Alcatraz Island.
      As a mom who raised 4 kids and traveled a lot, I would omit the part about "but try not to stop unless you’re eating, using the bathroom, or getting gas." Kids have energy and need to burn off that energy.
      I understand you are writing about another person's experiences, but do you have any of your own?

2. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 10 months ago

Your title contains the word “memorable experiences.” I think the “Favorite Experiences” section needs to be much longer and perhaps the the others shorter. You’ve only described one of the family’s expeditions, and that description is very brief. Perhaps you could contact the family and do a phone interview.

It might not be good to say the children mostly slept or didn’t care what they saw. Another point is that people who live in different countries in the future may not know what pandemic you are referring to.

3. Addison Sherrell profile image81
    Addison Sherrellposted 10 months ago

Thank you both for your feedback! I'm excited to edit this article and utilize some of your suggestions!

1. WriterJanis profile image91
      WriterJanisposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Please repost when you have done this.

4. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 10 months ago

Yes, but post a link to the article, not the entire text. It's not a good idea to post your work here because it could trigger the duplicate content filter.

1. Addison Sherrell profile image81
      Addison Sherrellposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Oh, true. I didn't even think about that. I can't find a way to edit my post above to take the article out. Do you know if there is a way to edit our forum posts/comments?

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 9 months agoin reply to this

You can edit but it's time limited. Maybe a couple of hours after posting, I think. Don't worry, if it causes a problem, the mods may remove it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)