jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What do you do to keep children occupied on a road trip, so your not hearing "Ar

1. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

What do you do to keep children occupied on a road trip, so your not hearing "Are we there yet?"

2. TToombs08 profile image75
    TToombs08posted 5 years ago

For our 5 year old autistic son, we have a dvd player with all of his favorite movies, his leap pad, a selection of board books, a handful of his favorite cars, and a bushel of his favorite snacks. He's usually good for a couple of hundred miles, it's mommy that gets bored and needs to be entertained. smile

3. greekwarrior profile image75
    greekwarriorposted 5 years ago

It depends on their age, i'm turning fourteen next month and if I have a laptop that I can watch movies on and listen to music with as well. It kept me occupied for a ten hour road trip (which I took over Spring Break). A Ipod may work too that's usually my sisters type of entertainment. I still like to play games like the License plate game and even most car trip games turn out to be really entertaining and time consuming, like naming animals starting with the first letter of the alphabet then to the next letter and so on. Most game ideas you should be able to find online.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

We traveled cross country once and a woman we knew made a huge grocery bag of little treats (not food but little toys etc.) and they were marked with labels like: open when you cross into another state, open when see a brown cow and on and on.  The toy were little pads of paper, crayons etc. and the girls had a ball.  It really kept them occupied.

5. buckleupdorothy profile image82
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

If your children can read in the car (or if you're amenable to books on tape), I have several suggestions for long car rides:

http://buckleupdorothy.hubpages.com/hub … r-the-Road

6. profile image56
    shorty72posted 5 years ago

We often play different games one we play is guess the next car everyone  in the car picks a colour and if they pick right they get a pont the first one to reach 10 is the winner and gets to choose a treat or what to have for lunch or tea it's up to you.

Another thing I do is look at the way you are going and have pictures from along the road trip . The person that finds the most things on the road trip wins a prize  whether it be a toy or book that really want.

7. Virgo908 profile image81
    Virgo908posted 5 years ago

I have a 4-year-old grandson who not only asks, "Are we there yet?" but follows it up with a "Why?" when I say we're not there yet. I keep him occupied with a game of "count all the yellow cars you see" or "tell me the shapes of the clouds in the sky." I am amazed at his imagination as he animatedly tells me all the stuff he sees in the sky.

8. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

We had a large variety of handheld video games using batteries. We also played games like license plate spotting, where we counted the plates from different states than we were in. We played 'I Spy' a lot. They had to guess what we were spying before it got out of range. We looked for different colored cars. We discussed the history of the area we were in. All before traveling DVD players.

9. ChaplinSpeaks profile image95
    ChaplinSpeaksposted 5 years ago

Get unplugged and learn about some of the classic road trip games you can play with friends and family.  Find out how to play 20 Questions, Boticelli, Categories and many more. read more

working