Sharing Your Work on Socials

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 8 months ago

Hubpages Weekly suggests this, but they haven't shared all our articles on their socials, only a small selection.
    Maybe they can open up their  Pinterest boards and make them shared so we can pin our articles on them.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I haven't seen an HP share on Facebook in a while. They used to share articles from We Have Kids regularly. It would be nice if they shared our work more often on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. I already do most of what they are suggesting.

eugbugposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I see only three of my articles pinned.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image93
          Kenna McHughposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Did HP pin them, or did you?

No, HP pinned them on their network site accounts, but they could open up their boards and make them shared so we can do the work. That would be on a per person basis with an invitation, so it's not the case that the boards would be open to posts by the general public, in which case there could be spam issues. They would have to trust us not to spam either.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image93

I think that would work well.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image93

With that, What does HP do for us?

3. paolaenergya profile image93
      paolaenergyaposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I didn't know HP shared our articles on their social platforms! I guess they pick a few hubs each week from their best performing ones?

They tend to pin those "news" articles that appear at the top of sites, like "man does this.." and "woman does that..". These must be popular SEO terms if they're using them but they're irritating as they're used for all the stories it seems.

4. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I think HP doesn't share our articles. It is for us to share them on social media. They share only those outstanding articles that are best to bring customers to their network sites.
      So, keep sharing your articles either by clicking on the few share buttons available there or by copy pasting the URL at social platforms.
      You can pin the images though, if they appear to be clickable.

They do share some, but not all.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 months ago

For sure, the more sharing that HP does, the better. I do get some traffic from their Pinterest pins, for instance, and it would be nice to get more.

I did find the Linktree thing in the newsletter interesting, though, as I wasn't familiar with it. I will try that out at some point.

Generally speaking, the social media scene can be fickle and it's often the more opinionated pieces that do best. That's not great for HP, as the tone for articles is more neutral.

I do share, but it can often feel like there are only low benefits for the time spent. With Pinterest, I have a handful of pins that do very well and a couple of hundred that get virtually zero outbound clicks and saves.

I'm still experimenting with social media (not just at HP). It seems like a good area to understand with the challenges to search engine traffic and AI on the way.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 months ago

I personally haven't found sharing on my socials to be worth the time unless one of them becomes topical or relevant for some reason. I am sure people who have public-facing socials with a big reach would benefit but my best friend is Google.

Same for me. Pinterest used to bring in 200 views per day, but it's more like 60 now.

Make that 40. I think I'm shadow banned by Pinterest or there's something odd happening. When I used to pin years ago, pins were regularly repinned. Now none of the couple of hundred pins I made in the last few years have been repinned.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Do you have a business account with Pinterest? You need that to share your own content with pins. Otherwise you may be shadow-banned.

Yes, it's a business account.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
              PaulGoodman67posted 8 months agoin reply to this

I think most of the social media accounts require regular engagement, which is one of the problems with HP slowing down and, in some cases, stopping posting.

I think that applies to Pinterest too, even if the engagement doesn't have to be on a daily basis like with, say, X/Twitter or Facebook.

The Pinterest algo keeps changing too. Strategies that worked in the past, doesn't necessarily continue to work.

I've had multiple accounts and experimented, but I still find Pinterest particularly difficult to figure out.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
              Glenn Stokposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Good. Another thought that comes to mind—do you create your pins or pin from HubPages? I create my pins with the “create” tool, which gives me more control, such as the ability to change the link when a hub is moved to a niche site. It’s true that it follows a 301 redirect anyway, but it’s better to be able to specify the true destination.

Paul just made some good points, too. It’s challenging to keep up with their changes.

I do a mix of both. Most of them are overlayed with text too. Maybe the content is just boring for most people. However pins of relevance and interest are targeted at people, so that shouldn't be the case.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
                  PaulGoodman67posted 8 months agoin reply to this

You have lots of material that's in Pinterest's ballpark, so I don't think that's likely an issue.

I actually have two accounts that I use a lot. One is general and has everything that I post to HP and Medium and the other has only home and garden stuff. The home and garden one does far better, even though the general account contains similar pins (as well as other stuff).

My conclusion is that focusing on only certain subjects probably helps.

Even with the home and garden one, though, I still get nearly all the traffic from a few pins and most pins don't get any saves or outbound clicks. So I certainly wouldn't pretend to be a Pinterest expert.

In an ideal world, I'd like to just rely entirely on social media traffic and maybe sell products to earn a living. The internet search engines are just too fickle and the subscriptions and advertising income models don't seem reliable either!

As you say, the successful Pinterest businesses are completely targeted. They also tend to sell goods or services.

That said, I do wonder about what happens when a company builds its entire business model around a social media site (e.g. Pinterest) and then the algo is changed overnight!

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
                    Venkatachari Mposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I have lots of pins on Pinterest. Most of them are from cricket or other sports news articles and pins from others accounts. My own articles from here or my other blogs are not that much pinned there.
                    And, my pins get saved by many others on day-to-day basis.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 months ago

While I welcome the advice offered in the newsletter, there is a certain irony that HP has generally slowed down or ceased posting on social media. Most of the postings stopped in early 2022, over a year ago.

I guess it means we're essentially on our own as far as social media promotion goes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)