Medium and Substack writers

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (45 posts)
  1. WriterJanis profile image93
    WriterJanisposted 2 months ago

I was just curious for those of you who write for Medium and/or Substack, how your earnings compare to what you make on Hubpages. Do you think it's worthwhile writing for these sites? I look forward to everyone's insight. Thank you.

1. SerenityHalo profile image96
      SerenityHaloposted 2 months agoin reply to this

The key right now with Medium is to work toward getting posts boosted. Without that, most things only make pennies. I still make more on HubPages, but I think it takes time to start earning here.

WriterJanisposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Wow. You have a lot of articles here. Thanks for your insight.

2. profile image0
      henrikhagelandposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I have just started to write here. I write at Medium. I started 3rd of December 2023. My first 26 days I earned 37 $. In January I earned 125$, February 120$. I am really surprised to earn so much as a newbie. Now I don't know how much You earn here at HubPages, so it's difficult to compare.

1. paolaenergya profile image92
        paolaenergyaposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I think  you've earned more in two months here than me in 10 years, you're doing great! Welcome to Hubpages!

1. profile image0

Thank you!

2. WriterJanis profile image93
        WriterJanisposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

This is impressive Henrik. How many articles do you have on Medium?

1. profile image0

I have 126...

WriterJanisposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Wow.

3. Brenda Arledge profile image79
        Brenda Arledgeposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I just followed uou on medium

Your writing isn't dissected into bits.
      Plus....you make money.

1. profile image0

Yes - I am earning money, every day. And have fun. I can't say that about here. I will just close the door tomorrow and leave again.... and keep on earning good money on Medium

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago

Comparing HubPages to Medium, even though I am making only 1/10th of what I made on HubPages before Maven/TAG took over, I'm still making more money on HubPages than Medium.

That is because I continue to earn from articles I wrote over ten years ago on HubPages. However, articles on Medium only earn revenue in their first few days—or weeks at the most.

Nevertheless, many of my articles on Medium have attracted Google traffic long after I published them, but we don't earn revenue from external traffic there.

So, in that sense, I'm not giving up on HubPages.

What are your thoughts, Janis? How do you see the difference?

Glenn,
      I'm only on HubPages but was looking to possibly try another site because as time goes on, I keep making less and less money here even though I continue to publish new articles.
      I didn't know you only initially earned on Medium. This is good to know.

1. profile image0

I'll help you start fast on Medium, if you want!

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

There is no way to start fast on Medium.

Writers need to build a following of loyal readers who pay for membership on Medium and keep coming back for more. That takes a lot of time with consistently writing new content.

Since Medium doesn’t pay for organic traffic, it’s a constant struggle to keep generating income from paid subscribers.

So, since you make as much as you say, the real question is—how many paid member followers do you have?

By the way, the only article you have here on HubPages doesn’t even qualify for a niche site where it would earn revenue. I see problems with it where you did not follow the guidelines.

1. profile image0

I really don't know what you mean with paid members? And yes, you can start up faster if you listen to a couple of advise. I surely could give these. I have helped more writers to a good start.
            And your last statement - my article on Cactus has been featured, and sorry - -I don't understand "qualify for a niche site" - please remember, I just started trying to figure out how things work here. So tomorrow I will really rethink, if I am going to stay here in such a hostile enviroment!

Sorry if you feel I was being hostile. I was just stating facts about Medium. I’m surprised, now, that you say you don’t know what I mean about paid members, especially since you’ve been earning what you said. Writers only earn from readers who pay for a Medium subscription.

As for the niche sites, your cactus article is on HubPages presently. To earn  revenue, you need to get it approved for one of the niche sites. I suggest you study the learning center guidelines. You can find that by clicking “help” at the top-right. There’s a lot of useful information there about HubPages' requirements.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 2 months agoin reply to this

I agree, Glenn, I get fifty percent of my Medium traffic from outside sources but it doesn't seem to do me a lot of good!

That part is true. .the older articles still make money..im not leaving Hubpages, but Ive got to have my work posted where people will read it...
      Without all the ads.

I agree with you about the ads, Brenda. I still remember when the ads were limited to only three on an entire article before Maven/TAG took over. And I was earning ten times what I earn now.

I wish TAG would at least experiment with reducing the ads to see if the views increase again. They could try that on one niche as an experiment. Do you think that might be a good idea? I’d like to know your thoughts.

I’m not leaving HubPages either. My old articles still make some money. I can’t say the same for my old articles on Medium.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 2 months ago

My experience is similar to Glenn's - earnings are even more abysmal than here on HubPages.

For me, there's another issue. There appears to be little or no moderation so some pretty awful stuff appears on the platform. I am disturbed by the company I am forced to keep on Medium, so I have given up writing there.

Thanks for your feedback Rupert.

4. paolaenergya profile image92
    paolaenergyaposted 2 months ago

Hi Janis,

I have just checked my stats on Medium (I write there on and off since 2016) and let's say that the earnings so far couldn't even let me buy a single piece of chewing gum!

I have just started writing on Substack and have no paying subscribers yet. According to various tutorials I've watched/read, the ratio is about 2-3% of the total free subscribers may become premium subs, so you need thousands of followers.

Anyway, once I have more data about my experience with Substack I'll write about it here on Hubpages.

That would be really interesting to read about your experiences  on Substack. I look forward to it!

5. paolaenergya profile image92
    paolaenergyaposted 2 months ago

I'll do my best to share some tips, too. So far so good, I am enjoying it even if I only have 10 free subscribers smile

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 months ago

In terms of earnings, Medium's declined dramatically over the past couple of years, rather like Hubpages.

However, as Glenn says, a Medium article usually won't earn much after the first four or five days, whereas HP articles keep on giving long after publication.

That's the reason I maintain an interest in HP.

I think it will be hard work to earn much at Substack. It means acquiring a large and loyal following, which generally takes time and is far from guaranteed.

Substack is certainly popular nowadays for writers but I am watching how it goes for others.

I think it's a difficult time for writers nowadays with most of the money and interest going to AI.

7. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 months ago

Medium, peanuts. Hubpages, four figure sums per month in the summer on occasions in the good old days.
    I have a Home & Garden publication on Medium, but I haven't been able to persuade people to read the articles in it.

It sounds like previously you've had some good success on HubPages. No wonder you're so frustrated now. I've yet to have that kind of success here, but then I came back when the site was already going downhill financially.

2. Brenda Arledge profile image79

I just followed it

8. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 2 months ago

Interesting information.  Thank you for this thread.  I miss the talented, collaborative and supportive creative writing community on HP that has since dwindled significantly due to HP's changes regarding comments, advertising, etc.

9. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 months ago

To be successful on Medium you have to write a new article virtually every day and engage with other writers by reading, clapping, and highlighting their articles. If you can't do that you are wasting your time there. Unlike HubPages, external views don't count and you don't make money from advertising, only reads from paying members.
    I write mainly poetry or short fiction so my earnings at HubPages have never been high, but I managed to make over $700 on Medium in August last year, and have consistently made around $400 per month there since (if I don't have an article boosted.)

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

Yes, I feel that under Coach Tony, Medium's become more of a blog/social media type of situation. Switching the earnings system back to it being dependent on claps and responses has encouraged this dynamic.

It's a different vision to what Coach Tony's predecessor, Ev Williams was trying (and failed) to achieve.

I'm not sure if the current Medium approach is sustainable, though - I guess we'll find out.

That said, I'm not even sure if any profitable and sustainable publishing platform model is possible anymore. I think the ground may have shifted.

May I ask how many articles you have there?

You can just go to a Medium writer's page and see what they've published.

However, the number of articles doesn't really matter like with HP. You earn virtually nothing for old material. Only what you've published in the last few days matters and how many claps, highlights, and responses you get.

The problem with their earnings system, I believe, is that most of the money raised is through subscriptions, and most subscribers are other writers. There isn't much outside money coming in. So, it's mainly writers paying money in which is then shared out (unevenly) with other writers.

1. Jodah profile image91
          Jodahposted 2 months agoin reply to this

There are ways of resharing your older articles on Medium so they can be read by new readers and keep earning. Some publications actually support that.

For sure. What I wrote was an oversimplification but expressed within the context of attempting to explain the general differences between Medium and HP.

I have about 120 articles but earned more when there were only ten, mainly because Medium used to be way more lucrative.

Thanks for the clarification Paul. It seems like you have to spend money there in order to earn it.

In theory, you don't have to pay but I would advise it. The basic membership is $5/month. I've always earned much more than that so I've had no problem paying.

Recently, they introduced a "Friend of Medium" scheme which is $14/month. I've not joined that so far. It seems to be more money thrown into the pot to share among writers but I'm not sure how much I like that scheme. Even though I've done relatively well at Medium, I'm not sure how I feel about taking from one writer in order to give to another (there are non-writer subscribers but they seem to be a minority).

Jodah's advice for earnings is likely the best approach for Medium as the site is nowadays (it's changed a lot over the months and years), publishing nearly every day and massive social engagement.

I just tend to write two or three articles/month. It used to earn me a few hundred/month without too much effort but nowadays I earn considerably less. A few years back, it wasn't that uncommon to earn hundreds for a single article but I've not seen that happen for some time.

It's more of an "anything goes" approach at Medium. There isn't the same level of editorial control as there is at HP. That makes Medium freer but like Rupert says in his comment, the general quality of the writing is often low and it can also be spammy.

2. Jodah profile image91

I have 400 articles on Medium, and around 660 on HubPages.

Wow. OK. I'm really impressed with the number of articles you have out there.

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks.

10. Brenda Arledge profile image79
    Brenda Arledgeposted 6 weeks ago

Glenn..
    They definitely need to do something.   
    I think i might start writing longer articles for hubpages...my poetey gets so separated no one wants to read it.

Yeah Brenda, poetry doesn’t work well when it’s broken up by numerous ads. I publish poetry on my own website where I can control where ads appear.

As for longer articles, go for it. I think the extra content will give readers the desire to overlook the ads if they have an interest in the subject.

1. Brenda Arledge profile image79

Thanks Glenn...
        Im working on a couple

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)