Doing Own Website

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. ControlledChaos1 profile image95
    ControlledChaos1posted 7 weeks ago

Was curious to see if anyone has tried the "writing on your own website" route and if they've had any success from it. I know Google doesn't particularly like "content farms", but trying to get own site noticed seems so daunting.

1. CYong74 profile image96
      CYong74posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

I started my own sites before writing on HP and I’m not ashamed to admit it, I was originally here for shameless backlinks. But I soon discovered there’s money to be made here, at least back then, and so I devoted real effort to what I do here.

The problem with managing your own site is that it takes time to grow, and if you want to grow big, you have to invest. You can use a free service and all that but if you really want to be a recognized authority, if you want big players to be comfortable working with you, you need to invest in your own domain, host, and all the auxiliary services that come with those be it technical or advertisements.

The game changes, too, down the road. It becomes far more than a matter of casting the best net and hoping Google loves you. Some of the brands I’ve worked with don’t even give a damn about SEO. Ultimately, it’s a long road and there are many decisions to be made. Hate to say it but it becomes business-like, and with that, tedious.

By the way, this is why I still appreciate what HubPages provides, for all its current issues. Here, you have the benefit of a recognized domain and if you put in the effort to publish good content, you will earn something. Not the case for your own sites, at least not till you’ve thrown in a lot of work, most of which isn’t writing.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

CYong sums it up well.

1. CYong74 profile image96
        CYong74posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kenna.

3. Lady Dazy profile image53
      Lady Dazyposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Maybe the best way to start your own website would be to sign up for a free website. Then you can see how it goes before spending any money on it. There are still a few free website providers out there.

4. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

I have my own website and I agree with CYong.  I would also add that there is a lot of backend work involved in maintaining your own website.  Adding pages, fixing broken links, formatting articles and photos, keeping up with tables of content so that readers can easily find what they are looking for, it's never ending.  It's one of the reasons why I like writing on HubPages.  They do all of that for us.  We just write and don't have worry about anything else.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

I have a WordPress website that generates earnings. It’s a topic I enjoy sharing. It’s a work in progress.

2. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 7 weeks ago

I've written a blog with 40 small articles and Google won't even index it except for one page. It said the rest was unoriginal. It seems they want totally new content now, not new spins on content that can be found elsewhere. Writing absolutely new content is virtually impossible, because pretty much everything has been written about before.

3. Venkatachari M profile image82
    Venkatachari Mposted 7 weeks ago

If your content is useful for daily life and is evergreen, you can jump to blogging.
    I am doing it for the last 12 years, and recently have been lucky enough to grab one payment per year (ie. 100 Dollars per year).

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Unless it's just a hobby or a nonprofit project, I think it's usually a playoff of earnings Vs. time and effort. There is something to be said for the old cliche that time = money.

The best I did with a personal site was revenue of $25-$30/month but I stopped it because I couldn't justify the time and effort I was putting in. The maintenance was also tedious (e.g. checking links).

A hundred dollars/year will pay some basic expenses (e.g. hosting and URL) and buy one or two coffees/month in the US. For me, it would have to be a labor of love for that amount of money, as it's not enough to impact my everyday life.

That said, the dollars earned probably go further in India.

It is a matter of perspective and expectations. I've long depended on writing to supplement my overall income and am therefore forced to take a rather brutal utilitarian view regarding effort and earnings.

There are people who've earned much more than you or I, although I believe that it's generally become harder for the individual operator over the years. The golden age was ten or fifteen years ago, I would say.

4. Thomas Swan profile image97
    Thomas Swanposted 7 weeks ago

I would love to get my own website going. It was hard work perfecting the layout, getting the domain, and writing eight articles to start it off with, but I can't even get approved on Adsense. Just getting indexed on Google seems to be a struggle. I'm having to submit URLs and hoping it accepts them, but often there's vague reasons for denial, similar to the vague reasons for denial from Adsense. I'll have to read/watch hours of information about why I can't get Adsense, make changes, resubmit, and wait another couple of weeks. So it seems to be way harder for "the little guy" to get a website going these days.

5. ControlledChaos1 profile image95
    ControlledChaos1posted 7 weeks ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. It does seem that things will continue to get harder and harder for small article writers to get traction, especially with AI development continuing. Might be better to look into creating your own unique intellectual properties and and developing those. As long as you were passionate about it and took it seriously, you should get some type of devoted fan following that appreciate your work.

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 weeks ago

Everything depends on what your goals are. Are you after views, income, or something else?

Generally speaking, it's a challenging time to set up and run one's own website.

From a purely practical perspective, it's easier than ever to construct and maintain a website, and AI will make it easier and easier. You'll be competing against sites that are already established, however, and the (relative) ease nowadays helps everybody.

Perhaps the biggest challenge, though, is that it takes a lot of work and maybe 18 months or two years to get established and rank well (assuming that it happens, which is far from guaranteed). By the time you've done that, the internet world will look completely different, thanks to AI, so all that work may well be wasted.

I agree with all that CYong says, including that you can easily end up spending more and more time on things like maintenance, marketing, building a readership, and trying to get the revenue right, and the writing gets squeezed out. It becomes tedious. It's nice here that you can just write and not have to worry about the other stuff.

If earnings are a priority, it's easiest if you have a product or service to push and sell. Earning purely from ads has always been more limited and has only gotten harder.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)