jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)

One big one or many?

1. Lymond profile image87
    Lymondposted 7 years ago

I've just finished writing a huge hub (~4800 words) which I could split fairly easily into four topics. On the other hand, if it all goes into one hub, the reader has the whole set of information on all the topics available without having to hub jump.

Split or not to split?

1. vox vocis profile image84
      vox vocisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Definitely split into four and backlink them all. The standard for writing online articles is 800 to 1900 words. If it is all in one hub it is very likely the reader will not read the whole hub and if it is four hubs, the chances the reader will read all of them are higher. This also means bigger hubscore and more traffic to your hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  By splitting it up into more Hubs, you'll make it easier to read.  You can add a links capsule to each Hub with links to the others.

2. profile image0
      sophsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

To Split smile

3. Springboard profile image82
      Springboardposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I definitely agree here as well. Not only will it make it easier for the reader to swallow, but it also gives you some linking opportunities, and could potentially increase your hub scores as well by increasing traffic figures. More Adsense exposure...

Yeah, break 'em up.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

How would you prefer to Hub the information? Then, I would say you have your answer.

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

What does your first instinct tell you?

There are some people who like long reads and some that don't. If you can write it so it flows quickly and people can follow through it without getting lost, due to a short attention span, for which, most have.

You can have success with one hub. smile

Lymondposted 7 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the reply, first instinct was one hub as I didn't expect it to grow into a mini thesis, I suspect it may be greed that tempts me to publish four hubs instead of one :-)

4. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

It would not be greed to publish four hubs. However, it certainly does depend on your audience and a few other factors.

Publishing in one hub, the few other factors don't come into play, because you have to play to a generalized audience and not a targeted group.

Keyword selection will be very vital. Just a thought. smile

5. Stimp profile image76
    Stimpposted 7 years ago

My ADD dictates....more but smaller hubs.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

i concur big_smile

1. blondepoet profile image74
        blondepoetposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I second that notion.

6. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image68
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years ago

A good and readable article is of about 1500 words. This is an opinion of many experienced hubbers. I have also experienced that not too short and not too lengthy hubs do better.

If you split it into three all these parts have approximately 1600 words. Perhaps this work better.

Moreover, if you write three or four hubs you can generate back links to all others. That means your hubs will get more internal links, hence more hubscore and traffic both.

It is better to split the hub in to three or four hubs.

Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

7. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 7 years ago

Split.    smile

1. profile image0

Copy Cat! Hahaha! :p

1. Hokey profile image59
        Hokeyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would follow you anywhere!  tongue

1. profile image0

Ohhhh I knoooww! lol! How do you do that tongue face???

8. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 7 years ago

One big works for me....it gets confusing and messy when there is more than one...Oh???...hubs...Duh...I'm in the wrong thread.. lol lol

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image68
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are at right place!

2. Lymond profile image87

I have to confess a certain groping for the double entendre. Back on top-ic, It is published as a single hub but now its up I'm not entirely happy with it. (I just read that through and its still a little dubious :-) I might take it down and write intros to put it into four. Such ado about nothing!

9. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Lymond, I just had a quick look at your Hubs. If it's the computer safety Hub, then I agree it should be split.

If I may make a suggestion, ALL your paragraphs on all the Hubs I looked at are way, way too long.  They create large indigestible blocks that don't invite people to read.

I don't consciously count lines, but most of my paragraphs are only 5 to 8 lines long. That creates lots of white space which makes the Hub look lighter and more accessible, and gives the reader time to breathe!

Marisa,

Thanks for the feedback :-) I guess they are rather texty at that! a habit picked up from uni papers :-( Que a large round of edits and upgrades! my first constructive criticism!

10. habee profile image96
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I don't know about HP, but I do know that publishers love white space.

11. blondepoet profile image74
    blondepoetposted 7 years ago

I prefer big ones.

working