Does a "Duplicate Content" tag affect your hub's performance?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image57
    midnightauthorposted 14 years ago

I need help with this please. If your hub is tagged as containing duplicate content, does it mean that HubPages will not promote it as actively as they would do for other hubs with original content?

Will it affect the type of Google ads that are displayed on it and will it affect the ad revenue from the hub?

Will it affect its ranking in Search engine results?

Please remember that duplicate hubs are not plagiarized hubs. It just means that you had previously published it elsewhere.

Your answers will be highly appreciated. Thank you in anticipation of your helpful replies.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's still duplicate content, even if its your own work. Hubpages want to see original writings on this site.
      All you ave to do is rewrite your own script.
      As to all your other questions, I don't know. Possibly yes because your author score at 76 is just one point above the minimum for your hubs to be dofollow. Drop to 74 or below, and your traffic will dry up.
      I would have thought with the amount of hubs you have and the time you've been here, you should have had a much higher hubscore.

1. profile image57
        midnightauthorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Izzy.

About dofollow and nofollow: Are you saying that if my hubscore stays above 75, that my hubs will receive more traffic? Or do you mean that at a lower hubscore my links become nofollow like Marisa said?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HubPages doesn't promote your work.  That's up to you.  Duplicate content will kill your HubScore, which means that any links in your text will become nofollow (i.e. search engines will ignore them). 

It won't affect the type of ads that show.

As for affecting the ranking - this is a thorny issue and we need someone like Sunforged to answer it.  But as I understand it, when faced with two identical sites Google will rank one and consign the other to the back pages.  If it picks the other instance of your script, then your Hub won't rank well and therefore won't make money because no one will find it.

1. profile image57
        midnightauthorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Marisa, your reply has cleared up a couple of issues.

You also said this:
        "As for affecting the ranking - this is a thorny issue and we need someone like Sunforged to answer it.  But as I understand it, when faced with two identical sites Google will rank one and consign the other to the back pages.  If it picks the other instance of your script, then your Hub won't rank well and therefore won't make money because no one will find it."

I have an article that I submitted here and on another writing site and to date, both articles have garnered the highest number of views of any my articles on both sites. And I am talking about traffic from Google. I must add though, that somehow HubPages has not tagged it as duplicate. So I am guessing that HubPages needs to promote your hub.

I have one more question though, how much can a hubber who writes at least one article a day expect to make in a month from AdSense?

I understand that article topics matter, search rankings vary and the type of ads displayed matter a lot. Besides there is the issue of how much traffic you actually get.

I just need a ballpark figure as to how much I can realistically earn. I realize that HubPages might offer the better earning opportunity for me and I would like to take full advantage of it.

I hope I am not asking for too much. Thank you for taking your time to reply

1. IzzyM profile image87

You'll need to ask the experienced hubber - oh you just did - sorry for jumping in - but IMO you are about to qualify as a doctor and will any money earned here will be peanuts compared to what you might earn in future.
          Good luck and God Bless x

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your guess is wrong.  HubPages doesn't promote your work.  HubPages have a lot of authority with Google so they tend to rank naturally over time.

How long have the articles been up?  HubPages doesn't run the duplicate filter all that frequently, so it may just not have got to it yet.  Google doesn't rely on HP to tell it what's duplicate, though! 

No idea why Google is driving traffic to both sites - it may be that you've lucked on to a good topic, and there isn't much competition.

You'll find plenty of forum threads about this topic. As you said, there are so many factors that it's impossible to give you a figure. I can tell you that unless you're exceptionally good, you'll make almost nothing in your first few months.  It takes the average Hubber about 9 months to reach their first $100 payout, no matter how many Hubs they write - though there have been some notable exceptions. Though Hubs get indexed quickly, it just seems to take a while for them to start earning.

That was my experience, and I wrote 55 Hubs in my first two months.  Since then, I've written less than one Hub a fortnight, but these days I cash out every month.

2. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

marisa's advice is sound

hubpages wont be promoting your content less but google will! in most instances the older indexed version is ranked higher in the long run

rewriting/revising your own content is foolsplay, always use unique content

hmmm...actually, since dupe content kills your overall hubscore...you actually will get promoted less by hubpages too! because you will receive less little tasty inlinks from all the little categories and feeds that you automatically get linked to...

just rewrite it!

3. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

marisa is right
    izzy is right until she says "Drop to 74 or below, and your traffic will dry up." ...this is a misunderstanding of what nofollow means

8 key strokes will solve that misunderstanding for you

1. IzzyM profile image87

Ah OK maybe I shouldn't have tried to run before I can walk, I've only got a half-understanding of what dofollow ad nofollow are exactly, but my general understanding is that you don't want to be nofollow,, because as Marisa says your are ranked lower in the search engines.

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, nofollow only refers to your hubpages ability to pass "link authority i.e. Google Juice to OTHER sites, it has nothing to do with the hubpage that it is on. NoFollow is not a negative thing , its just a little note you tell the search engine bots.

Its like saying, Dear mr google bot, thanks for visiting, as you read over my page please do not think that the links on this page get my vote, please do not FOLLOW them and associate my link as a suggestion that they are good.

When a person comes along to hubpages and begins to copy and paste articles from other places ..NOT to make money from, but rather to send visitors and authority to his sites outside of hubpages which are linked inside the article...the nofollow attribute comes into effect which takes away the motivation to post the copied content in the first place. Most comment forms across the net are "nofollow" to keep people from coming along and making garbage commenst JUST for a backlink

yes, its all greek to me too ;0 ..

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks sunforged:) I might get my head round that tomorrow... it's not easy is it?

1. thisisoli profile image71
            thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have tried to explain it on one of my hubs!

1. IzzyM profile image87

I'll read it again tomorrow, Oli. My head isn't as young as it used to be you know! I'm sure I read and it and caught the gist, but <big sigh> not a full understanding. Thanks smile

Haha, if you have any trouble leave a comment and I will get back to you!

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Midnight Author,

Duplicate content is never going to make you any money online.

If you are copying content from somewhere else, that is both unethical and illegal, if you are putting your own work in more than one location, you are only devaluing your own work!

Hubpages doesn't like duplicate content, and neither does google (Which you want to be your main source of traffic!)

5. profile image57
    midnightauthorposted 14 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. A lot of issues I did not understand have been clarified. Such awesome support from fellow hubbers, you all have been great. Thank you again.

@Izzy: Yes, I will be a doctor by the end of the year and by then this will not matter. For now though, it does matter. It is nice to earn extra pocket money to buy that new phone or pair of shoes :-). Besides, anything worth doing is worth doing well. Thanks for the blessings.

It takes a fair bit of effort to make money on here too, however with your specialization you might be able to make some very intersting hums, in some very low competition areas!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)