jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Probably a really stupid question...but don't all shout at once!

1. LaVieja profile image60
    LaViejaposted 7 years ago

I just joined my first forum ever. It was on a subject I am really interested in and I really wanted to join in the conversation. So I joined. I just posted to introduce myself...and I got banned FOREVER! I don't know why. The only thing I can think of is that in my signature is the url for hubpages. Is that considered spam? It genuinely didn't occur to me as I was signing up to participate and not to promote anything. Can someone confirm that that is indeed spamming?

1. rebekahELLE profile image88
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years agoin reply to this

yes, it is.
      on some sites, you can't leave a signature.

you can't leave a sig at HP.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a bit harsh!   Many forums prohibit the use of links in signatures, but I'd have thought they would at least give you a warning rather than banning you outright. 

They may have had a lot of spammers visiting and that's caused them to over-react.  Bad luck!

3. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Many forums allow to post a signature, however some of them allow you to add only your own sites in your signature.

So, maybe you were allowed to post a signature and weren't allowed to post Paul Deeds' website or your tracker in the link. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Yes, you are not allowed to put links in your signature. It is considered spam.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Yes, if you ask for help on a hub you can post it to the Extreme Hub Makeover thread with the URL of the hub.

4. LaVieja profile image60
    LaViejaposted 7 years ago

thank-you! I'm just going to go and bang my head on the wall, how thick am I? I can't believe it didn't think about that.
    Anyway, appreciate the quick answers!

5. relache profile image91
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Forums have rules, and it's really important to read them and understand them before you start posting just so these sorts of situations can be avoided.

For them to ban you after just one offense means they most likely have it spelled out really clearly that any links in signatures is forbidden, and it's up to you to have read the rules when you joined the site.

1. LaVieja profile image60
      LaViejaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I did read them- well- skimmed them. Learnt my lesson though - next time I will read thoroughly!

working