Using videos to generate traffic by "stealing" ?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Lynda Gary profile image61
    Lynda Garyposted 8 years ago

Okay ... I hate to promote traffic to a hub that may not be, uh, ethical ... but I need opinions.

Check out: http://hubpages.com/hop/#/Secret-Target … -Generater

Then let me know what you think of this guy's methods.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That just seems like laziness to me.

2. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Tough call. It seems that is what a lot of people do with forum comments on many blogs. It's not surprising it would start happening on youtube as well. I'm not really sure it would be called stealing.
      I have seen this done quite a bit actually and I often watch the reply videos without even thinking they are trying to get traffic to themselves.

I would think the comments (video) would have to be relevant and add something though. Not just "Nice video. Look at my link"

It looks like youtube will be a lot more cluttered.

2. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 8 years ago

Its not "this guys" method its a very old method that you have seen in action hundreds of times.

Its not lazy, its just parasitic, and its pretty much the norm in online marketing to find a source that has authority and/or traffic and attempt to divert traffic or gain authority from an association

1. livewithrichard profile image83
      livewithrichardposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Josh nailed it, its not his method and we all do it in internet marketing when we place our anchor text on an authoritative site.  Why this method has benefits is because the big "G" loves video. If you do a search for a popular niche you will almost always find video results on the first page of Google.

You're not stealing other people's videos your responding to the video similar to commenting on a blog with an anchor link pointing back to your own promotion.  Parasitic is a good way to phrase it or symbiotic may work too.

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 8 years ago

If it bothers you and you think it might be an ethics issue that would maybe go against TOS then report it. It's your call and HP can sort it out if they want that on the site or not.

4. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 8 years ago

I've seen those reply videos, and never watched one. I'm not interested in the reply, only the one I search to watch.

it happens all over the internet, but I don't really see it as stealing.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 8 years ago

I really think when you have an issue like this with a hubber that you should take it up privately with the HP team.

1. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

smile Agreed!

2. Lynda Gary profile image61
      Lynda Garyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just to clarify:  I, personally, do not have an issue with "this" hubber.  There is not, in my opinion, anything to report.  My OP states clearly that his method (correction; the method he USES) "may not be" ethical.  It doesn't say that it IS unethical or a violation of anything. 

I solicited opinions, in fact, as a means to expand my knowledge and perspective on this.  I've found a lot of good SEO-type info here at HP, and this method was one that I wasn't able to categorize as legitimate or not based on reading the hub.

Actually, I think the method being promoted COULD be used in a way that is 1) unquestionably ethical, and 2) beneficial, from an SEO perspective.

6. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 8 years ago

i interpreted the question as "what do you think of this method"
    , I didnt catch any suggestion that the hub itself needed a hubadmin review.

"unethical" and TOS are rarely synonymous online

Sun,
      My "clarification" post was in direct response to Nellie's post which I interpreted to mean that rather than starting a thread here, I should've reported the hub, etc.

Glad to see that you interpreted the OP as it was intended.

7. livewithrichard profile image83
    livewithrichardposted 8 years ago

Lynda,

As long as you don't make claims to the ownership of the video it is completely ethical. Part of article marketing is riding on the success of others. I may have mentioned before but how you approach SEO really depends on what you are promoting and how much competition you have.

So, what do you do?  Record a video with your thoughts, post it in reply, and somehow provide a relevant link?  I've never done an online video response, so I'm not sure how that works.  I just know that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it unless I have something relevant to say, and wouldn't provide a link unless it, too, is relevant.

8. Bill Manning profile image72
    Bill Manningposted 8 years ago

I have my own youtube channel with 8 videos now. I have posted one of my own as a video response to others like it. It's a very common thing, and yes you do it to get noticed and get traffic.

But I have not seen a whole lot of extra traffic from doing that. I myself never even notice video responses and I'm sure most never do.

It's just one of many dozens of ways to get traffic, nothing more or less. Now, making a quick video about anything just for the sake of posting it as a video response DOES seem a bit,,,, bad.

I only post one of mine that I made for the purpose of getting my own traffic from it. A video response is just extra for me.

There are many ways of getting traffic. Do them all or many of them in a quality way and down the road you'll get results. Do them all in a sloppy way and you'll get,,,, slop. roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)