jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

name of hub

1. nadp profile image77
    nadpposted 7 years ago

Can I change the name of a hub if I think that a different name might bring more traffic?  Is that a good idea, or not so good for some reason?

1. SandyMcCollum profile image72
      SandyMcCollumposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you're doing it after you've published it, the URL will still be the same an possibly confuse the search engine. But, you can change it.

2. EmpressFelicity profile image76
      EmpressFelicityposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can change the title, but you can't change the URL.  Changing the title is a really good idea from a traffic point of view, if your original title wasn't all that search engine-friendly to begin with.

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I have no idea where Sandy got the idea about search engine confusion, but I've changed the names of several Hubs after they were first published and I have no evidence of any search engine issues.

If anything, it seemed to help my Hubs perform better and allowed readers to more accurately know what I was talking about.

3. nadp profile image77
    nadpposted 7 years ago

Thanks to Sandy and relache.  I did just change it - so I'll see if it helps.

4. nadp profile image77
    nadpposted 7 years ago

And thanks empress. wow! all this support is great!

1. EmpressFelicity profile image76
      EmpressFelicityposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

5. Ultimate Hubber profile image69
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

I believe changing an under-performing hub's title to a better title is an extremely good idea.

6. myownworld profile image79
    myownworldposted 7 years ago

Yes, I agree. I've improved the titles of my early hubs to better ranking keywords, and it's had an immediate rise in traffic. (Unfortunately, one can't change the url); Also, don't forget to add appropriate tags! Best of luck...smile

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image69
      Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I keep on reading again and again in the forums that people are not happy with not being able to change the URLs of their hubs.  Trust me this restriction does go in your own favor. If you change the URL of a page, this means it is no more indexed in search engines as search engines index hubs with their URLs. And you already know what happens when a hub is not indexed. smiletongue

7. myownworld profile image79
    myownworldposted 7 years ago

I only meant that if your original url is not a very good one, then it's unfortunate that you can't change it.  e.g. one of my first hubs I wrote here was on an aids' victim, and I made the url to be something like 'his legacy' which went well with the creative part of the hub, but was not what people searched for often. Hence the regret.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image69
      Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean. That's awful sad that one can't change URL in such a situation. But instead of changing the URL you can take it down and republish it because changing the URL would mean the same except from you won't lose comments.

1. myownworld profile image79
        myownworldposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I realize the limitations of changing a url but would never want to lose the comments, hence I've just improved the titles and let the hubs be. It's enough traffic for me, but of course, someone looking for more should definitely consider republishing. Thanks for your suggestion... smile

8. MyWebs profile image83
    MyWebsposted 7 years ago

And if you could change the URL you would instantly lose any backlinks you have linking to your hub and would have to start all over getting new links.

1. myownworld profile image79
      myownworldposted 7 years agoin reply to this

exactly! And so you just wish you'd known better the first time and  hopefully not repeat the mistake again... smile

working