jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Is it ok to rewrite an article from another website for a hub?

1. brakel2 profile image85
    brakel2posted 7 years ago

If I have an article on another website. but I rewrite it and give it a different title, does it count as a new article? I have changed about 1/4 of it. Thank you.

1. qwark profile image58
      qwarkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just explain what you are doing at the beginning of your "hub."
      Make it the "preface."
      So what if it gets a "team" comment?

2. Obscure Divine profile image56
      Obscure Divineposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is called manual "article spinning" and this is not a good practice, at any "black hat" SEO rate...  Go original, it's the best way in the long run.

2. relache profile image90
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Most likely changing only a quarter of it isn't going to be enough to get past the duplicate content filter here.  It'll probably be best if you rework the entire thing.

3. brakel2 profile image85

Thanks for your prompt answer. I guess I was unaware of a  duplicate content filter. I know that  writers on other sites rewrite articles, but I newer knew how much had to be changed to be considered new.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Brakel, there are other sites which accept articles which are already published elsewhere.  HubPages isn't one of them.

If you publish existing articles here, you'll get a duplicate penalty, and it will never earn as well as an original article.  You'll need to rewrite more like 75% of it to avoid that.

Generally speaking, sites which accept duplicate articles don't pay nearly as well as the sites which insist on original stuff.

1. LarasMama profile image62
        LarasMamaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Some of my hubs are basically expanded versions of posts on my blog. Would that be appropriate? For instance I have a list of ways to induce labour on my blog but on my hub I have gone into detail about how each one works etc...

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It depends how much of the material is duplicated.  If most of the words are the same, you're likely to find your blog loses out in the Google searches to your Hub.  And if it's a big chunk of your Hub, you may get a duplicate penalty.

1. LarasMama profile image62
            LarasMamaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well the words are in different order (alphabetical not type) and just the headings mainly. I tried to change and add as much as possible so it's probably a difference of about 900 words between hub and blog anyway... so hopefully google won't hate me!

4. thisisoli profile image74
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

Duplicate content is bad werever you post it.

5. brakel2 profile image85

I used a tool that said the articles are 25% similar.

6. Lady_E profile image79
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but suggest you give it another title and change the wordings - otherwise it could be flagged as duplicate even though it's yours. smile

working