jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Query on putting a link for an outside affiliate

1. Eileen Hughes profile image86
    Eileen Hughesposted 9 years ago

I have done several hubs on genealogy. Can I put a link on them enabling people to download software to work with genealogy.  with an affiliate no on it.

Are we allowed to do that. ... I know I can put the link for downloading the software,  but can I add the id referral with it  Thanks in advance

1. profile image0
      TiffanyDowposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe you can, Eileen, but as I found out this week, don't make it a ClickBank one if you ever want to do a Flagship Hub because they frown on CB marketers a bit.

2. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are allowed to do it.  However if you do it excessively, your Hub or Hubber score may go down as a result.

2. embitca profile image88
    embitcaposted 9 years ago

Tiffany, I wouldn't spend so much energy worrying about what is acceptable for the Flagship Hubs program. It is misleading. Most hubbers are not in the Flagship Hubs program. The only advantage to the Flagship Hubs program is a small immediate payment upfront in exchange for assigning copyright to Hubpages. Since you can make money with a regular hub in which you retain copyright, I don't see the point in worrying about what is or is not acceptable for a Flagship hub.

1. profile image0

Oh cool thanks! I felt horrible when I applied (more for the prestige since it's in my journalist nature) and they told me if you'd ever used a ClickBank link, you couldn't be in it. sad

But you're right - I won't worry about it!
      tiff wink

1. Inspirepub profile image80
        Inspirepubposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Besides which it is a very short static list of topics remaining, so unless you are really excited about a topic that is on the list right now, there isn't really an opportunity to write one anyway.

I've been here three months, checked every few weeks, and the list hasn't changed in that time.

And at $25 for 2500 words, PLUS finding videos, photos, rss feeds, and so on, it pays worse than blogging-for-hire! (Although the residual income may be better in the long term.)

Personally, I think they would do well to offer people who have written brilliant Hubs a retrospective "flagship" status and payment.

Jenny

1. profile image0

That's a GREAT idea, Jenny! A good Hub is a good Hub.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image79
          Maddie Ruudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We're working on that, Jenny!  I promise it's on our priority list.  Remember: multiple people were trying to cover the job I now take care of, until only about a month ago, and the switchover for EBay's just been taking a lot of time and work this month.

1. Inspirepub profile image80
            Inspirepubposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Would you like some help with the Flagship list?

I'm assuming you are looking for highly-searched topics suitable for evergreen content - it shouldn't be too hard to come up with 10 of those each month.

1. pauldeeds profile image
              pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's correct, but we also try and choose topics that aren't too saturated in the search engines.  If you have some that you think would be good, feel free to mail a batch of them to team@hubpages.com with a subject of "flagship hub topics".    Just so no feelings are hurt I'd like to say right up front, we may choose to use none, some, or all of the ones you suggest.

3. embitca profile image88
          embitcaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A big ditto, and I really think that since we make residual income just on a normal hub anyway, that there is no advantage at all to flagship hubs. $25 is minimal, especially in light of having to assign rights away.

Retroactive Flagship Hubs would be awesome, as long as you didn't also have to retroactively sign your content rights away too.

4. Mark Knowles profile image60
          Mark Knowlesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They already do this. I didn't write this as a flagship hub, but Jason offered and paid me for one.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Ten-American-Recipes

Although, I have a feeling that if everyone starts emailing the team with their best hubs, it might be a lot of work LOL

3. Eileen Hughes profile image86
    Eileen Hughesposted 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. 
    I am just putting it on my genealogy sites

We get no benefit from it. Although it allows my daughter to upgrade her software next year thats all.

4. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 9 years ago

I'd like to add that "veteran" Flagship Hubbers who have demonstrated that they can create traffic-generating Flagship Hubs are given the option to help shape topics.

working