Link Keywords With Your Affiliate Code Keep 100% of that Commission

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (36 posts)
  1. StefanMDP profile image78
    StefanMDPposted 14 years ago

Another wrong idea. sad

1. Karina S. profile image60
      Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, of course we all want to make more money, but HP deserves there share.

2. Karina S. profile image60

How good is Amazon affiliate program, i wanted to join, but I live in NC and it is not available for residents of NC.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

So What You're Saying is: That you are SO Smart, You don't have to be here, right? hmm
    Amazing! Why are Small Dogs Always Looking for a Bigger Bite? hmm

Good Luck in the publishing wilderness lol

1. profile image0
      Wag The Dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What?

How do you get, what you got, from what I wrote?  Ya, I am fairly smart, but that has nothing to do with what I wrote about. 
      You write the hubs.  They let you use up to two affiliate links.  It is not as if you are breaking the rules.  You can have the links if you want to use them.  It is allowed.

Bigger bite?  They gave me an 8oz. steak, how I choose to eat it is up to me.  In ten bites or just one.  Either way, I am going to eat the full 8oz's.  You can leave some on your plate if you like.  But I like steak, so I am going to eat the whole thing.

I do not see how this is "another wrong idea."  It is useing what you are able to use, to do what you are able to do.  Again, You are not breaking the rules.

Use it.  Don't use it.  I do not care.  This post was just to point out that you CAN use it.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Yep... See What I mean? lol
        Lucky You're a Dog and Not a Fish lol
        You Bite so quickly... I didn't have time to set the hook! lol

3. NunezWillLearn profile image61
    NunezWillLearnposted 14 years ago

Don't mind but it isn't that easy. For me it is just like “easier said than done”. May be that people have done it but i cudn't.

1. profile image0

Everything is “easier said than done”.   But you can do this.  Take a closer look at how to get the HTTP:// link.  Once you are sure that you have it, then highlight the keyword you want to link,  click on the link image over the text you are working on, paste it into the box provided and hit insert.  That word is now linked.  If you need more help, let me know what you are having an issue with, and I will walk you threw it a bit later.

4. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Thank you for your input Mark.  When it comes to making money writing on-line, you are someone we all can learn from.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

As I understand it HP does share impressions from amazon ads just the same as they do with google ads. I personally do not mind this at all, they provide such a great platform for a person like me to make affiliate sales online without having to be a web builder that I am very happy to share the ad space so long as they keep up the great work big_smile.

I have thought about looking into outside affiliates, am not sure about clickbank and do not really think they have built up the type of trust that will make sales easy and would like to find something more trusted so that I can write hubs to those products for affiliate sales. I am currently pretty focused on writing for amazon affiliate sales as I feel like I am on a roll with coming up with fun hubs to write.

As such I am thinking that when I do find some really good affiliate programs to sign up with I will use those 2 links per hub then but for now I am happy writing for sales that I will share with the site.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

There is so much money to be made at Hubpages by playing well within the rules and by being a good community member, I don't understand the need to push the boundaries - and cut out HubPages.

I want HP to make money off of their 40 percent of the impressions. That way I know the site and community will remain viable.

When I looked at my earnings from Adsense, Ebay, and Amazon this morning I was totally astonished at how high they were. Yes some of it is me and my abilities, but ALOT of it is the respect that Hubpages has with Google. And I want to do nothing to jeopardize that.

I've even decided in the new year that 20% of my hubs, will be nonproduct hubs, probably book reviews. As my way of contributing more content to the community - sort of a thank you.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, I'm surprised -- and delighted! smile

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That could pay off though, you are at least allowed an Amazon capsule displaying the book Nelle!

3. profile image0

I can respect that, and I want them to make a profit as well.  And, I agree that they should get the 40% of the impressions from the ads that they help to provide.

I have provided the text.  I am also allowed to use upto two affiliate links within that text. (I am sure that this is allowed for a reason.  Otherwise it would not be.)

Sorry, but I do not see it as pushing the boundaries, breaking the rules, or being underhanded, by any stretch of the word, because they have it set up this way.  If I try to place 3 affiliate links, HP has it set up to not let me do so.  Thus, they know that it can be done, they allow it to be done, and I have not seen any official statments from HP requesting that it not be done.  This is not justification.  This is just the way that it is.

As for the 'biting the hand that feeds you' comment from cosette.  I do not see us, the hubbers, as parisites that latch on to Hubpages to be fed.  I see us more as two hands working together to get 'the work' done. I am going to do all that I can to take very good care of my hand, as I am sure hubpages is going to take very good care of their hand, so that I can get the job done to the best of my ability. Just as Hubpages does. 

Do not get me wrong, I am very thankful for the opportunity to be able to use this venue, as I am sure Hubages is just as thankful for all of us who use it.

4. Karina S. profile image60
    5. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Way to go Nelle!

7. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

@Wag The Dog -

personally - I think you are shooting yourself in the foot and missing out on making the most of hubpages. First of all your personal hubber score has been penalized down to 55.

This means:

1. all your outgoing links (including the forum links) are tagged nofollow.
    2. You are listed well down the list of "hubbers" and will never hit the front page.

Now - I would agree that hubpages' community traffic does not convert very well, but the search engine traffic that comes and finds you or your hubs accidentally converts just fine. wink

Your Amazon hubs are really well laid out, and could be a lot further up the hot hubs or hot hubbers pages, and I think the few extra sales you garner by using text links is more than offset by where you are losing out.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He wont listen to you Mark, he is a die hard Squidoo member.... they dont do logic.

1. lakeerieartists profile image64
        lakeerieartistsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ryan, don't blame Squidoo for people that are unethical.  smile

2. profile image0

ryankett, God bless ya but, NANANA, Na,Na,Na.

I say that with love, but you keep slamming me with those squidoo slams, so I just had to do it.  ROFL  Take care, Wag

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Thanks Ryan. He thinks he's making a lens. Now I'm beginning to understand all of these topics he's started - and his attitude. But we have lots of folks here to do both, and they don't act this way.

9. Dr23 profile image59
    Dr23posted 14 years ago

I certainly feel HP deserves a share. They provide the location and make the ad/amazon process an easy one and we provide the content.
    You're not going to find any business relationship where two sides each do work and one accepts no compensation.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here here! HP deserves its share and they provide a great service for us writers!

10. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I dont know if the original post was once again insulting, but there is nothing wrong with using your outbound links to include direct links to any of your affiliates, keyword (in text) links perform much better than pictures and banners usually. your shooting yourself in the foot if you dont use keyword links, hubs doesnt offer that functionality..your not taking anything away, they still get their 40% from your adsense either way

as even pointed out very recently by Hubstaff

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/28799#post586706

1. profile image0

This was the original post(Minus the links).  I do not know how it got deleted from the forum:

Wag The Dog wrote:

"If you go to my new page, The Best Combat Boots On The Ground.  Then scroll to the bottom of that page, you will find the word Amazon.  Should you click on that word "Amazon" it will take you to the 'combat boot' page in the amazon.com web site.  The "HTTP://" I used, to link that word to that specific amazon page, has my personal affiliate code in it.  Should they click on it and buy, I get 100% of the commission.  It bypasses HP altogether.

The thing you need, to be able to do this, is the right HTTP:// with your affiliate code.  To see where and how to get this HTTP:// visit this page:  How To Link Products To Amazon  Not all the info on that page will work on HP, but how to get your HTTP:// with your affiliat code is.  That is all you need to link a keyword or keyword phrase to make 100% of the sales commission from the clicks generated off those words.

HP only lets you use two of these affiliate keyword links per page, so place them well."

OMG. So pauldeeds wrote...

I will be ding-dong-danged.  Poke me with a fork, cause I am done. 

I never saw that coming.  Did you?  Nope.  Sure didn't see that coming at all.  Shooooot......

Agian.  "No good deed goes unpunished."

11. janiek13 profile image76
    janiek13posted 14 years ago

I am new and I don't quite understand all of the industry jargon yet, but I get alot more than the opportunity to make revenue here at hubpages and I, for one, wouldn't even consider using links to cut out hubpages. Whether it is ok with them or not, it just doesn't seem right. I get much more from them, then they get from me.

12. profile image0
    Wag The Dogposted 14 years ago

Now that pualdeeds, more or less says that it is "OK" to link keywords, in your text, with your amazon affiliate code, are you going to start to link your keywords?  See that here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/28799#post586706

Also, sunforged states " there is nothing wrong with using your outbound links to include direct links to any of your affiliates, keyword (in text) links perform much better than pictures and banners usually. your shooting yourself in the foot if you dont use keyword links,..."

I sure as a heck will keep using them.  I hope that you will too.

http://rangtarangini.iiita.ac.in/images/links.jpg

sunforged.  Thank you.  I am not taking this as you backing me up.  You do not know me from Adam.  But I was starting to feel bad, thinking that I was leading my fellow hubbers astray.

Thank you, Wag

13. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Wag, I think the issue has always been not WHAT your saying but HOW.

Your phrasing the use of YOUR affiliate account links as if its some way of cutting out Hubpages, many of the users who are unfamiliar with affiliate marketing outside the hubpages format only see your message as being a deceitful method, only because of how you phrased it. We are affiliates with amazon,ebay,adsense etc....not with hubpages, the ease of use that the capsules provide ensure that most users will always integrate the partnered components into their hubs, it is not dishonest, deceitful etc. to use your allotted links in a non-overly promotional manner...but the way you phrased it made it seem as if that was your intention. I think more people were reacting to your proposed disrespect of a publishing platform that we value than with  one little method.

Same thing with you signature suggestions, you put forth the purpose as only being for a backlink when that is merely a side effect of a rather fun and useful forum feature

I THINK your low HubScore is a result of a lack of link diversity, I only checked a few but it seems as if you are within the rules, you have only 2 amazon links per hub, but those are your ONLY outbound links, perhaps if you throw in external links to other outside sites that are not aff links you will see a quick jump in hubberscore, it doesnt seem as if your looking for backlinks so the nofollow attribute is probably not a concern, but you are missing out on a lot of te internal links you would be receiving with a better score.

Clean up your tags also, "mama wears combat boots" is certainly not assisting you, to many tags SEEMS to be  a deficit, Im no expert at the hub format, but from my quick observations I think those two changes will help your score, which may help your traffic, which may impress you to the hubpages format

than maybe you will be less combative on the forums (which is usually a place of assistance) and you might enjoy the camaraderie here a little more too

-you should get rid of that silly nanaanna post

14. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

Wag the Dog

I would just suggest that if you really want to turn up the earnings on your hubs, you might try writing more than 11 in 7 months.  That way whether you get 60% or 100% it's going to be more lucrative.

As far as including affiliate links, it's fairly common to use Clickbank links in hubs.  And I've included some other links on a couple of hubs where I couldn't find anything on Amazon or Ebay.

But in general I'm happy with the way the Amazon modules look here, and my sense is that the click through rates are higher on physical products with pictures than they are on text links, but since we can't track outbound clicks in Analytics we will just trade opinions on that one.

{Shameless plug for feature request to track outbound clicks in this thread  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/29186 }

15. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

In reading this I am a little surprised at the responses, but I wanted to comment since the linked thread was a question where Paul Deeds responded to my post.

My intent with using text links is not to specifically cut HubPages out.  I have several hubs with the  regular amazon capsules...most of my hubs have amazon capsules, in fact.  This includes the hubs where text links are used.

As sunforged pointed out HP still gets 40% any adsense on the page, and if I include any other affiliate capsule.

I'm not sure it is wise to post up a thread, though, where one is trying to show other hubbers how best to cut out HP on some of their sales.  In this way, it is made to seem like a negative, and draws undue attention to something you know we are already allowed to do per the TOS. I think it best not to reveal all the cards in your hand more times than not.smile

[edit] sunforged I must have been typing same time you were posting.

16. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

This thread has actually been helpful, since it has cleared up a subject which I have been wary of. 

Affiliate links are something I have avoided in my Hubs, and probably will still avoid to some extent.  However it is nice to know that if I should choose to do so I am within my rights as per teh T's & C's.

I think the way this post was phrased has probably got some peoples backs up, however I am grateful that Sunforged cleared things up for us, as it has actually resolved a rather vague area of hubpages.

Either way, I will still be using copious Amazon modules to advertise my wares, they are after all very effective.  But I may put a couple of direct links in to try and get a little bit extra out of it all.

I do think that Wag has been getting some rather negative replies to his threads, a lot of his threads have not been partcularly bad, but have raised shackles from some people simply because they are advocating a change.

In this case he may have made it sound more like a work around than it actually was, and I am against any attempt to rip off Hubpages. In essense though, Wag brought up a perfectly legitimate marketing technique on hubpages, and it seems rather unfortunate that out of all the replies that shot him down, only one (sunforgeds') actually read through it and gave a response which was both factual and reasoned.

In the meantime Wag, I think you need to spend more time optimizing those hubs and ensuring unique content, than finding rather pinicky ways of increasing the ad exposure on your Hubs. You need traffic before you can make conversions tongue

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well at least I understand we can put our affliliate links in our hubs. So, I guess we can also use links to our blogs, ezines etc. Frankly, why waste the link in a hub,when we have Amazon capsules to use? If I can find an interesting hub pertaining to my content, I will place the link to that hub, even if I did not write it, in my hub. Yes, it would be nice to have capsules for other affiliate programs, but then again, there are thousands of those so where does Hub pages draw the line. One thing about self serving links, Squidoo lenses are ,more about selling a product than providing real content. When you concentrate on getting those affiliate links in your hub, then you run the risk of ignoring the content. If Hub pages sees you leaning towards using your hub for advertising, like Squidoo, then you run the risk of being called overly promotional, and your hub is ousted.  Why, when we have been given an inch, to keep pushing to take a  mile. Most article submission sites these days will not allow affiliate links in your articles. At least Hub pages is better now than it was a year or so ago. It was terrible when it came to trying to get your links in your hubs without being called overly promotional.    Each to his own. Remember, if others keep pushing, it is their account, their hubs at risk, not ours.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)