Hub Stats vs Adsense Stats

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wag The Dogposted 13 years ago

OK.  Here is the deal...  On average, my hub stats say I get about 150 visits a day and Adsense shows about 5 page impressions. 

For a week, my Adsense account showed "No Data Available"  and my Google Ads did not show up in my hubs.  But I think that this was due to Adsense wanting me to update my account.  I am not sure.  When I updated my Adsense account, the ads showed back up in my hubs, but now the stats are way off. 

Hub pages shows me getting over a hundred clicks a day, and Adsense says only five? 

Adsense last 7 days:  49 Page impressions

HubPages last 7 days: 1602 Page Views

Anyone?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't compare page views to impressions because they aren't the same thing.  Also, if you read the FAQ, it's quite clearly explained that 40% of the impression time on your Hubs goes to HubPages.

You are trying to compare numbers that won't ever match up and which represent two different forms of statistics.

1. profile image0
        Wag The Dogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have NP with HP getting 40% of the impressions, but I got 49 out of 1602.

That means that HP got the other 1553 and that is 97% of the page impressions, not 40%.  And I got 3% of them.  Not 60%.

I am sure that there is no foul play on HP's part. I am just trying to figure out what is going on.

And I know that the #'s will not match, but this is an obvious discrepancy.

Thanks for your input.  Any other ideas?

I'd also have to guess that some questionable tags and content is getting the AdSense ads turned off on some of your girlie Hubs, which eliminates the possibilities for getting any ad impressions.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

"Hub pages shows me getting over a hundred clicks a day"

How?

1. profile image0
      Wag The Dogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I should have your problem....  LOL 

Or are you getting mine, and that is my problem?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was asking how do you know your hub is getting 100 clicks?

3. mymagicview profile image63
    mymagicviewposted 13 years ago

You just asked the question in my mind which remaining there from a long time!? anyone has the answer!?

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

WtD:

Are you confusing page views with impressions?

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

What is the difference between pageviews and page impressions?
    Sorry I really don't know that myself, if anyone can enlighten me?

I believe if you type both terms into the search engine of your choice, you can enlighten yourself quickly and easily.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

"Page impression and page views are interchangeable -- they both refer to how many times a page has been viewed by a user. One user can visit a site and generate 10 pageviews, meaning they went through 10 pages of the site before leaving.

Pageviews is an indicator of a site's stickiness, giving you an indication whether your content is of interest to a user. You look at pageviews especially relative to visitors: e.g. 100,000 pageviews from 10,000 visitors mean your ratio is 1:10.

On average, the user views 10 pages of the site. If your ratio of visitors to pageviews is only 1:1, then it means that people are only going to a single page. Then you need to look at whether the problem lies in your navigation (they can't move from that page to another page of your site); or whether you need to rethink and polish your content; or you need to improve the aesthetics and layout of your site.

There are a number of site metrics in addition to pageviews that are important."

Liked this answer even though I'm not sure it applied to Hubpages exactly, seeing as this isn't a web site with mulitple pages.....or is it?
    Taken from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 415AA8rVDJ

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Why you went to a non-authority site and picked a random, human-generated definition is beyond me. 

I suggest you take a look at how AdSense defines them, as that's what is paramount in matters of earnings.

http://adsense.google.com/support/bin/t … topic=8526

8. Aficionada profile image79

Hi again,

I think that I'm the one who has been getting things confused!  So sorry.  Thanks, IzzyM, for motivating me to do more research.

My impression of impressions (!) may not have been accurate, but I'm still somewhat confused about the term, because when I followed the link relache gave, I found one Q/A that described how Google works to prevent "invalid clicks and impressions."  I'm a bit unclear as to how an impression could be invalid, if it is the same as a pageview.  However, I'm in a time crunch right now and unable to read the material carefully, so I'll look into it some more tomorrow.

Sorry, Wag the Dog - I didn't mean to mislead you.

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'd read what they said but just didn't understand it - all about graphics loading or some such. Way over my head. I was just lookig for someone to explain in plain terms and the analytics site just doesn't do it for me.
    It doesn't matter anyway.
    Page views, and page impressions are different. End of.

10. Cheeky Girl profile image67
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

I am presuming you are registered with Google Gmail. If you register your Google Analytics account and set up your Analytics to track your hubs, it will reveal most of the answers you seek. It's fairly accurate.

11. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Hubstat is not accurate at all and so is the new system of accolades, as per accolades i didn't hit 10k yet. roll
    Besides that if you keep track of hubstat downtime you'll realize that you missed a lot of traffic  in that stats page which analytics recorded without fail.

12. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

It's showing you have 0 hubs to me.

13. Aficionada profile image79

As promised, I have done some more investigating to try to understand "page impressions" a bit better, and I've made a little bit of progress.  It's not an altogether straightforward concept, which I suppose we all already know by now.

The short version of what I learned is that companies like Google that place and monitor ads on pages have learned that simply counting page views is not accurate enough for calculating what advertisers should pay - because a page view by itself does not give an indication of how much time viewers were actually exposed to the ads.

A viewer might, for example, start out on a home page, spend only a few seconds there, jump to a linked page, spend only a few seconds there (sounds like me), back to the home page, then to another linked page - you get the drift.  At some point, the viewer finds an article/Hub that they like and they spend a good deal of time there, actually reading the article and even deciding whether they would like to click on an ad or buy something that is advertised there.  That's what the advertisers want - more viewing time and therefore more exposure to the ads.

So Google and friends have come up with methods of calculating "impressions" that relate to how much actual time is spent in viewing.  It is based on page views, but with actual viewing time thrown in, in some way.  As with other things Google, the mathematics would best be left to the magicians.  But that is the main reason why there is not a precise match between "page views" and "impressions."

Also, HubPages views (My Account page) would count our own views of our own pages, but Google would not count those at all, no matter how much time we spent viewing them - right? (That is what I believe, anyway; not completely sure.)

On one business site, I read that for an advertiser, a "rule of thumb" would be to say 10 page views = 1 impression.  Understand that that is just a way to estimate; it is not the actual way an impression is calculated.  That calculation is a mystery for the ages.

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey, thanks for researching, it is always nice to see people puttign effort in to finding out how accurate their information is before posting, something increasingly rare in today's day and age.

Google probably would count our own time spent viewing a website though!

Personally I only use Google analytics for statistical analysis, way more accurate.

14. Aficionada profile image79

Bump - for anyone who wanted to know about this. big_smile

15. Red Anchor profile image63
    Red Anchorposted 13 years ago

So, in a nutshell, the discrepancy between the the number of visits we see in our hub statistics and the number of impressions we see in our adsense accounts (also taking into account Hubpages 40% share) can be attributed to people not spending enough time on our page to register it as an "impression"?  Just trying to make sure I understand it correctly because I have noticed this discrepancy too and was curious as to what caused it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)